In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Armadillo question

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
So, lets say you have a small one in your back yard that your Malamute chases to hell and back. Said armadillo gets outside the wooden privacy fence and then starts to dig back into the yard.

Is it rabid or stupid?

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by susie
    So, lets say you have a small one in your back yard that your Malamute chases to hell and back. Said armadillo gets outside the wooden privacy fence and then starts to dig back into the yard.

Is it rabid or stupid?

Armadillo is an old indian word meaning REALLY STUPID ANIMAL.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an armadillo! He just tryin to make a livin' doin' what he does best. Digging and eating. Let him be, he won't harm anything and you dog gets a good workout chasing him. He won't hurt the dog, or you for that matter.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run like hell from him!! He may give you leprosy. Really!! Tom
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not worried about the dog (Samson), he is huge and has drawn blood on the poor critter's back. Didn't know they could jump like a cat, but saw it go over our brick wall around the patio when Samson went after him.

Damn dog is now pacing the floor wanting out to go after the possum on half shell. He keeps whining and crying, going to the door and standing on his hind legs trying to get out. He'll end up tearing down the facing if I can't get him calmed down. He can reach the top of the door with no effort.
    edited November -1
    Not worried about the dog (Samson), he is huge and has drawn blood on the poor critter's back. Didn't know they could jump like a cat, but saw it go over our brick wall around the patio when Samson went after him.

Damn dog is now pacing the floor wanting out to go after the possum on half shell. He keeps whining and crying, going to the door and standing on his hind legs trying to get out. He'll end up tearing down the facing if I can't get him calmed down. He can reach the top of the door with no effort.

They can jump, but I can assure you they can't jump a fence! And no dog is going to bring blood from a dillo's back. That would mean his shell had no value and that is what protects him. He rolls up in a hard shell and nothing can get him. Well, a bullet can, but anything with teeth will gro bored of him quickly.

You might want to re-evaluate exactly what sort of monster you have roving in your backyard...
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some food for thought- C&P:

Q-5 I HEARD ARMADILLOS CARRY DISEASES. IS THAT TRUE?
    Back to FAQ

A. Yes, disease is commonly associated with armadillos. The bacteria mycobacterium leprae can infect armadillos, and this is the bacteria which causes leprosy. The link between human infection and armadillos has not been heavily tested, but it does remain a risk. In Louisiana, up to 53 percent of armadillos were found to have leprosy. Leprosy symptoms include skin lesions, numbness, nerve damage and muscle weakness. Armadillos are the only animals that can transmit leprosy, and they can do so by attacking with their claws.

Armadillos can also carry rabies. Rabies, a virus, progressively paralyzes and can kill any mammal, including humans. Rabies is generally contracted through contact with an infected armadillo through biting. Since armadillos rarely bite, armadillo rabies is not quite as high a risk as raccoon or skunk rabies, for example. Though humans should avoid contact with any armadillos, if an armadillo seems especially fearless around humans or is very active during the day, it could be infected. Call 1-888-488-1415 United Wildlife armadillo control immediately for professional armadillo removal.

Armadillos have problems with tapeworms. Tapeworms are parasites of the digestive system and can be transmitted to humans. Armadillos carry the bacteria salmonella. People who pick up salmonella bacteria can become seriously ill with diarrhea, vomiting, fever and chills. Salmonella can also affect the blood. Armadillo salmonella can be spread through armadillo fecal matter.
    edited November -1
    Thermo, re-read my post. Sorry I didn't specify the height of the brick wall, it is a low wall, maybe two feet high, just right for sitting on that surrounds our patio. That is the wall the armadillo went over in his escape attempt. The 'dillo was outside the wooden fence digging for its life right back into the hell it just left when I went out to check on it and the dog. I got the limb loppers and wedged them under the fence to block it's little digging feet and nose. I was able to poke it with the loppers until it started to dig in the other direction.

Our fence abuts an alley so behind the wooden fence is a chain link fence. It switched its energies to digging under the chain link after I prodded it in the right direction. It was making all kinds of little squealing huffing noises as it dug. Kind of funny.

And yes, my dog did draw blood. Not bleeding profusely but blooded it was. The 'dillo was small, only about two feet from tip to tail so it's body couldn't have been over a foot long. I suppose young ones may be a little more tender and not as hard shelled as more mature ones. Also, my dog is an Alaskan Malamute, not some yappy lap dog.
    edited November -1
    Thermo, re-read my post. Sorry I didn't specify the height of the brick wall, it is a low wall, maybe two feet high, just right for sitting on that surrounds our patio. That is the wall the armadillo went over in his escape attempt. The 'dillo was outside the wooden fence digging for its life right back into the hell it just left when I went out to check on it and the dog. I got the limb loppers and wedged them under the fence to block it's little digging feet and nose. I was able to poke it with the loppers until it started to dig in the other direction.

Our fence abuts an alley so behind the wooden fence is a chain link fence. It switched its energies to digging under the chain link after I prodded it in the right direction. It was making all kinds of little squealing huffing noises as it dug. Kind of funny.

And yes, my dog did draw blood. Not bleeding profusely but blooded it was. The 'dillo was small, only about two feet from tip to tail so it's body couldn't have been over a foot long. I suppose young ones may be a little more tender and not as hard shelled as more mature ones. Also, my dog is an Alaskan Malamute, not some yappy lap dog.

Hmm, I missed all that from your post. I must be tired... Usually, for all I know, they tend to jump straight up. They don't have a leaping ability. But I am no animal expert...

I am still baffled about the bleeding.
    edited November -1
    The armadillo looked scruffed up, not really scratched or cracked just "scruffed" for lack of a better term and when I prodded him toward the chain link there was some give to the shell sort of like a hard rubber. Like I said my doggie ain't no little guy. The hubbie is 6'2" and Samson can stand up and give him a wet sloppy kiss as a way of greeting, sort of meet him eye to eye. Unless of course it was the dachshund (Oscar de la Hoya). [:D] He joined the fray when Samson went to chasing the armadillo.

Here's a photo of Samson taken in March.

SamsonMarch12th.jpg
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Coouple years ago I had one determined to dig under my fence into my yard. He is on one side of a chainliknk fence, trying to dig under it, two 100 puond bloodhounds are on the other side, nose to nose, with the fence between, going absolutely ballistic, and this dumb critter keeps trying to get in with them!

That is one Dumb animal.

Their shells are not as tough as you might think. I've killed them with a pitchfork, and it actually penetrated the armor quite easily. Moreso than I would have thought.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    They love to dig worms and grubs from your yard. One alone can dig up about a ten x ten area in one feeding..Looks like some pigs have been there rooting..
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their main diet is grubs . I live here in north FLA and we have quite a few . In the morning the yard looks like a minature battle field with all of the holes in it. We have five dogs and they go crazy when they see one in the yard too. I am going to cover the yard with some bug killer to get rid of the fleas and the grubs ,that should make the dillos move on to better hunting grounds.

I have shopt a few but then you have to deal with the carcassand they do carry white leprosy ,I don't want that on my gloves or burrioed on my land .So I'm gonna starve mine out.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. I assume with all the rain we have had the creepy crawlies are like a buffet for the bug eaters, just floating to the top so to speak. Let the dogs out today and no crazy chases or manic barking so I assume the little grubber has moved on to more friendly pastures.

Oh, I never touched it with anything other than the limb loppers. If it was rabid I didn't wanting it latching on to any appendages. My kids wouldn't have helped they would have grabbed a camera.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they love to dig down around foundations & can go 20 feet & create all sorts of problems & raise a whole herd of little boring machines....have stuck garden hose down hole & welcomed critter to the light with a clip of 22lr when he came sputtering up
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I know for sure that a 125 gr 357 will take big chuncks out of its armor.

Encountered a lot of them when I lived in South Georgia.