In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mechanic Question.

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
My usual MO is to do every other oil change myself at home, and have every other done w/chassis lube. Usually at Wal Mart.
Now one would think that a lube/oil change would be pretty simple. But ABS brakes appears to have changed that. At some point, every vehicle I've owned that has ABS brakes has come out of the Wal Mart bay w/the ABS light on the dash on. Eveidently indicating an ABS problem that wasn't there when we took it in.
I'm curious if anyone knows what happens during a Wal Mart lube that causes this?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    On an 02 Trailblazer, can worn rear stabilizers cause inner tire wear? Just had my tires rotated, and the ones off the rear were more worn than those off the front. Tires are 3 years old, but had lots of tread. And had been routinely rotated at approx 8K. since new. Both sets had inner wear. Find it odd that the rear was worse.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They probably change the brake fluid instead of the oil[;)]
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    I'll buy chinese computers, telephones, fishing lures, camping equipment, garden equipment, groceries, and even GUNS at walmart, but I won't let those idiots work on my car or truck.quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    I'll buy chinese computers, telephones, fishing lures, camping equipment, garden equipment, groceries, and even GUNS at walmart, but I won't let those idiots work on my car or truck.quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

I expected these kinds of responses. And while I understand your sentiments, it's really not the answer I'm looking for.
    My daughter works at Wal Mart and IMO just working there does not make a person an idiot. But I do agree that modern vehicles w/things like ABS seem to pose problems that the average HS educated Wal Mart service bay employee isn't trained for. But then, niether am I.
    That's why I'm asking. I want to try to learn what is happening.
    I know taking the vehicle to "Mr. Goodwrench" (at twice the cost) is the safest bet. But finding one open or getting car in on a weekend is a MAJOR HASSEL. Even if I was willing to pay the Extra.
    Then there's the "Quik Lube" places that probably employ the same type of low trainng people as Wal Mart.
    I need to take my car someplace that's available when I have the time. And if I know what they are doing wrong, I can hopefully point it out and tell them NOT to do it to my car.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    abs brakes have pulse sensors built in , unlike the old ones where you could squeeze the caliper and force the brake fluid back to the reservoir saving the bleeding process, the sensors will fault if done incorrectly, you must open the bleeders, squeeze the calipers , install the brakes, top off the reservoir and bleed the brakes. those sensors are made for fluid to travel past them in one direction i understand. forcing it the other way faults them i'm told
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomahawk
    abs brakes have pulse sensors built in , unlike the old ones where you could squeeze the caliper and force the brake fluid back to the reservoir saving the bleeding process, the sensors will fault if done incorrectly, you must open the bleeders, squeeze the calipers , install the brakes, top off the reservoir and bleed the brakes. those sensors are made for fluid to travel past them in one direction i understand. forcing it the other way faults them i'm told

So how does a Wal Mart lube, which should have nothing to do w/the brakes, cause this fault?
    It seems evident to me that they are attempting to grease something that they shouldn't be.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One possibility might be overfilling the brake reservoir. Topping off fluids is SOP. Some of the young mechanics are pretty zealous. Try specifically instructing them not to service the brake system.
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Tomahawk...you might be right. I put a set of front brakes on my Jeep the other day and after I finished and started her up, the ABS light was on! Went off after I drove it a few miles though. Sounds like Wal-Mart might be mistaking the brake bleed fittings for zerks and trying to force grease into them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    Tomahawk...you might be right. I put a set of front brakes on my Jeep the other day and after I finished and started her up, the ABS light was on! Went off after I drove it a few miles though. Sounds like Wal-Mart might be mistaking the brake bleed fittings for zerks and trying to force grease into them.

By GOLLY I'll bet that's it!!!
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    that would do it for sure see if the bleeders have grease on them if so ....management time...dumbazzes[:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Find a reputable mechanic, or learn the trade. If your just talking about a lube job, you could talk to danceswithsheep or learn the trade. I squeeze a case of grease into all the equipment here about every 4 months. That includes, cars, trucks, tractors, bushogs, lawn mowers and whatever has a grease fitting. quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat

I expected these kinds of responses. And while I understand your sentiments, it's really not the answer I'm looking for.
    My daughter works at Wal Mart and IMO just working there does not make a person an idiot. But I do agree that modern vehicles w/things like ABS seem to pose problems that the average HS educated Wal Mart service bay employee isn't trained for. But then, niether am I.
    That's why I'm asking. I want to try to learn what is happening.
    I know taking the vehicle to "Mr. Goodwrench" (at twice the cost) is the safest bet. But finding one open or getting car in on a weekend is a MAJOR HASSEL. Even if I was willing to pay the Extra.
    Then there's the "Quik Lube" places that probably employ the same type of low trainng people as Wal Mart.
    I need to take my car someplace that's available when I have the time. And if I know what they are doing wrong, I can hopefully point it out and tell them NOT to do it to my car.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you fastrack,,,, my point exactly,,, those dumb azzes in the walmart bays are there for a paycheck,,, thats it! They were probably hired in there because they could change tires. Go to a walmart service bay and sit in the 'waiting room' and watch them and tell me if they are professional.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With respect, I can't see how mistaking the bleeder for a zerk would do anything but make a pneumatic greasegun mess all over the mechanics hands unless it was opened first.

Quick service usually includes anti-freeze check, washer fluid, brake fluid, etc. Sometimes they try to sell you an air filter too.
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if sum jerk stuck a grease gun on a bleeder nothing would happen, you cant force grease through a closed valve. Someone is messin with somthing they shouldn't be. Find your self an honest mom+pop shop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    vinhlongvet...I have used Wally World here on a few occasions when I was up against a wall and HAD to have the oil changed. Never had a problem, and never noticed anything unprofessional at all. At least they have never done like the Ford dealer did to a friend of mine. Those bozos forgot to tighten the drain plug!! Halfway home (his wife was driving) the engine seized. Cost Ford a new engine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You have to remember,,,,, we are talking about idiots with a grease gun under a car,,,, and they don't allow you to watch. Just think about itquote:Originally posted by bigcitybill
    With respect, I can't see how mistaking the bleeder for a zerk would do anything but make a pneumatic greasegun mess all over the mechanics hands unless it was opened first.

Quick service usually includes anti-freeze check, washer fluid, brake fluid, etc. Sometimes they try to sell you an air filter too.
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill
    One possibility might be overfilling the brake reservoir. Topping off fluids is SOP. Some of the young mechanics are pretty zealous. Try specifically instructing them not to service the brake system.

We have a winner!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats why I'm preaching if you want someting done right you need to do it yourself. Then you know its done right. I'm not gonna depend on some highschool grad to change my oil or lube my vehicle. I'll just do it myself. And why did you HAVE to have the oil changed,,,??? Right there? Right now? You couldn't go home and change it? Geeeeezzeeee!quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    vinhlongvet...I have used Wally World here on a few occasions when I was up against a wall and HAD to have the oil changed. Never had a problem, and never noticed anything unprofessional at all. At least they have never done like the Ford dealer did to a friend of mine. Those bozos forgot to tighten the drain plug!! Halfway home (his wife was driving) the engine seized. Cost Ford a new engine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you fastrack,,,, my point exactly,,, those dumb azzes in the walmart bays are there for a paycheck,,, thats it! They were probably hired in there because they could change tires. Go to a walmart service bay and sit in the 'waiting room' and watch them and tell me if they are professional.

What do you expect for $7.00 an hour? I did the SAME job back in the 1970's working P/T at full service gas stations for $2.00 PH.
    But that was before ABS. And we were perhaps trained a little better.
    As I said before, just being employed at Wal Mart doesn't make one an idiot. Obviously they are not highly educated or they would likely have a better job. But they are just blue collar (mostly kids) working for a living like anyone else. If I blame anyone, it's WAl Mart for not giving them enough training.
    But then, how could you train someone to be an expert for the vast number of different make/model/year vehicles that come in there?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats why I'm preaching if you want someting done right you need to do it yourself. Then you know its done right. I'm not gonna depend on some highschool grad to change my oil or lube my vehicle. I'll just do it myself. And why did you HAVE to have the oil changed,,,??? Right there? Right now? You couldn't go home and change it? Geeeeezzeeee!quote:Originally posted by iluvguns

You have a point. Provided everyone has the time/tools. The only reason I take mine in is for the chassis lube. Which should be simple. Obviously I found out different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know how walmart hires their mechanics,,,, but I wouldn't trust them to put air in my tires. And I've bought tires at walmart too,,, but I've loaded them in the back of my truck and taken them to someone I trust to put them on the rimsquote:Originally posted by Fatstrat

What do you expect for $7.00 an hour? I did the SAME job back in the 1970's working P/T at full service gas stations for $2.00 PH.
    But that was before ABS. And we were perhaps trained a little better.
    As I said before, just being employed at Wal Mart doesn't make one an idiot. Obviously they are not highly educated or they would likely have a better job. But they are just blue collar (mostly kids) working for a living like anyone else. If I blame anyone, it's WAl Mart for not giving them enough training.
    But then, how could you train someone to be an expert for the vast number of different make/model/year vehicles that come in there?
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill

We have a winner!!!

That would be my guess also.

Now keep in mind that brake fluid will remove paint. Overfill anything and the excess has to go somewhere. Take a look and see.

My new '08 Ford F250 SooperDooty is due its first service. Gonna watch and see just how professional the local Ford stealer, I mean dealer is.

Speaking of grease fittings........ Just how many greasers wipe the dirt off of the zerk before pumping in new grease or do they just pump in the dirt right alsong with the fresh?
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just out of curiosity does your car stop/feel right when stopping? reason i ask usually you have a small brake on one side of the rotor and a thicker one on the other side. maybe they didn't put the brakes on right. most cars have ABS brakes from about 1990s maybe even sooner and up i would imagine. i have abs on my 99 Pontiac and i always have to squeeze my brake calliper together to get it on the rotor and the light never comes on. i do however loosen the brake fluid cap when squeezing the calliper back in place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: And why did you HAVE to have the oil changed,,,??? Right there? Right now?

You must not be married! [:D] The evening before we are scheduled to leave on vacation, I realize it's time for an oil change. Like the wife was going to look at the sticker and remind me! Had to have it done. You can crap on wally world all you want. I haven't used them but 2-3 times, but ANY one who hires someone to service cars (purely service cars) isn't going to get anyone with a PhD. And they aren't going to pay much over minimum wage. Not just wally world. ALL of them, dealers included.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The real answer to the question is ........They are starting the car, and running it on the lift in gear. Probably checking for a leak, and when just two of the wheels turn, it sets a code in the computer. The automakers know this happens, so if it sees this, and then sees it go back to normal, then the light goes back off after driving. See how really simple that was????
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    ABS Light can be a number of things:

Dirt on the tone Wheel. (each wheel has a 'gear' lookin deal that the sensor 'sees' if the end of the sensor crsts up, then you get a fault.

Is it an 'ABS' light, or a 'brake' light? If it's a red brake light then yeah, it could be that they over-filled it.

Also, WALMART will go no further into the deal than tires, belts and light service in these parts.