In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another time, another place

milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
Do any of you people have a singer or song that brings special memories of times past.
This simple country song reminds me of better times.

Warning, if you ain't country, go no farther.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kk20DXU-8

This father and son are country as turnip greens and cornbread.

Comments

• Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dolly Parton- Coat of many Colors, my Dads favorite
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they have an album? And if so where can I get one?
    I am country from day one.

Vet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WWllVet
    Do they have an album? And if so where can I get one?
    I am country from day one.

Vet.

Dunno about an album but here is another foot tapping country song.
    Like I said these are just good old country people.(mistakes and all)[:D]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8hy2W2MUU
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "In Color", by Jamey Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    "In Color", by Jamey Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYGwxf1gCC4

Yep, that's a good story song too.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Songs and scents bring memories back to me a lot. Different songs, for different people, and such. Sometimes, a strong trigger. I walked past a lady one time, who was wearing "windsong" perfume, which was a favorite of my mothers. Gods honest truth, for just a second, I was 8 years old, standing in front of the fireplace in our old home, on Christmas morning, my mother spraying the gift of perfume on her wrist. Clear as day, Her , my sisters and my father, still in pajamas. It was an image that left entirely too soon, as I hadn't seen her in many years.

Songs that take me back, "The King is Coming", my mother, "Almost persuaded", an old love, who I can still hear whispering in my ear "take me away from here, and be my man....", "Lara's theme", my first wife. Seems like it played everywhere we went. It became kind of a joke to us. I held up pretty good, at her funeral, until they played that song. "Somewhere, my love....". It was my request. I was always big into self torture. "Call of the Wild Goose", my father. He sang it nearly as good as Tennessee Ernie.

My current wife is a lot like me, and likes a lot of the non-mainstream country music. For her, I have to go with "Ruth Ann", Royal Wade Kimes. We discovered it, and both loved it, where most were lukewarm to it.

Anyway, just a few stray remembrances. Hope I didn't bore you all too much.

Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Songs and scents bring memories back to me a lot. Different songs, for different people, and such. Sometimes, a strong trigger. I walked past a lady one time, who was wearing "windsong" perfume, which was a favorite of my mothers. Gods honest truth, for just a second, I was 8 years old, standing in front of the fireplace in our old home, on Christmas morning, my mother spraying the gift of perfume on her wrist. Clear as day, Her , my sisters and my father, still in pajamas. It was an image that left entirely too soon, as I hadn't seen her in many years.

Songs that take me back, "The King is Coming", my mother, "Almost persuaded", an old love, who I can still hear whispering in my ear "take me away from here, and be my man....", "Lara's theme", my first wife. Seems like it played everywhere we went. It became kind of a joke to us. I held up pretty good, at her funeral, until they played that song. "Somewhere, my love....". It was my request. I was always big into self torture. "Call of the Wild Goose", my father. He sang it nearly as good as Tennessee Ernie.

My current wife is a lot like me, and likes a lot of the non-mainstream country music. For her, I have to go with "Ruth Ann", Royal Wade Kimes. We discovered it, and both loved it, where most were lukewarm to it.

Dan

Words spoken from the heart never bore me Sir. Honest feelings and remembering friends and family seem to be lost with the younger self centered people in today's society.

Guess it's our fault to a degree due to both parents working to try and make ends meet and has resulted in our not installing the values we were taught to love and respect.

I see this shortcoming more in my grandkids than my kids.[V]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

Dan

Bored? No, not at all.

I think you put into words exactly what I feel sometimes.

Certain songs, the smell of the ocean, a baseball card flapping in the spokes of a bike and other triggers make me think of the past. Both good and bad.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Since it is Oscar week, the local classical radio station has been playing movie scores. They played "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." Took me right back to my childhood. My Dad had the soundtrack album. And played it often.