In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What Is This Critter? Update 8-1-04

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,036 ******
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
Found under the toolbox of a handyman's truck. Just one.

Looks like a baby mouse but MUCH bigger. Rat? Squirrel?

See pictures.

critter-003F.jpg

critter-002F.jpg

critter-001F.jpg

You can see the thing is over 3" long minus the tail, but it seems to be close to newborn.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    It would make great catfish bait.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's either a squirrel or a chupacabra.

Mudge the occult zoologist

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Possum?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that is a squirrel. very hard to raise. best to find a squirrel nest and put them in it or near the tree so the parents can find it. they will cary it away.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'm gonna have to go with rcrxs old lady, judging by the size and tail. cody
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its parents, if they still exist, are in Bonham, some 30 miles from here.

The foreman on my foundation job of yesterday came back today to pick up a spare fish tank that Dawnie gave him. He had come from a remodel job he was working on in Bonham.

While we were loading the tank and stand onto his truck, I saw something moving under his toolbox. It was this critter. How or why it was put there, I don't know, but I am pretty sure I can't reunite it with its parents.

Dawnie is bringing home formula and an eyedropper. We shall see.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might be a squirrel, but I thought the forearms were a little short for that....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dawnie got home and has taken charge. If the critter has a chance of making it, she will do her part.

critter-008F.jpg

critter-007F.jpg

critter-006F.jpg

critter-005F.jpg

critter-004F.jpg

I am pretty sure this thing will need to be fed fairly often. Maybe she can take it to work with her.

It has eaten and it has pooped, so the plumbing is in order. We believe it is a squirrel, and it is a male.

• Options
    edited November -1
    looking at the face, it does look more like a squirrel, but it's so hard to tell when they're that young. my family thought i was going to grow up to be a handsome man, got the man part right[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IF it lives, and IF it grows up, it will not see another squirrel. Will it think it's a cat? Dog? Human?

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:We believe it is a squirrel, and it is a male.

Oh, I thought that was a tail[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Oh, I thought that was a tail

haha[:0][:D]
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Might be one of Michael Moores evil spawn[:D]

tis a baby squirrel! If it lives you will have your share of perforated fingers.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would it bite the creatures it imprints on?

JR the rabbit never offered to bite.

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Looks like a mole to me...

...maybe a baby squirel. The head looks more like a squirel...at least in the pic of Dawnie holding it...

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Squirrel baby, probably fell out of the nest, was your buddy parked under some shade trees? If Dawnie can get him to eat, he'll make a great pet, but not a good housepet. They chew things worse than a Lab pup! Finger bites come from trying to restrain them when they want to go. Food smells on fingers get the same treatment, especially chocolot!

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    It is a squirell. I raised one from that small once. It made it to about 3 weeks old and was getting around pretty well. Then my dog bit its head off.

Ben
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a squirrel. We raised two of them a logger gave us.
    They were fox squirrels and made great pets. Prettier when they get hair.

We turned them loose in the neighborhood but they kept coming back.
    Finally I think their hormones kicked in and they left. Kinda neat to have a full grown squirrel sit on your shoulder and eat peanuts.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All the squirrels I see around here are fox squirrels. When I lived in Arkansas, there were a lot of gray squirrels.

I had an old collie dog that was pretty good at treeing squirrels, until his eyesight faded. The squirrels near the house would come down from the trees and fuss at him. He chased them and they always beat him to the tree. Until he got wise to them.

He would ignore the squirrel and let it get closer and closer to him, and further and further from the safety of the tree. He would gauge the distance out of the corner of his eye, and when he was sure, he would charge. With the new tactic, he caught meat about half the time. This gave mother a lot of grief, since she liked the squirrels near the house, and always made me go away off in the woods if I wanted to kill some.

I would rather hunt fox than gray. The gray is never still, and is best hunted with a shotgun. The fox will stop from time to time and look around, and when he does, he can be head shot with a .22 so you don't have to pick shot out of the meat.

Thanks for all the replies. Dawnie has raised baby squirrels before, so this fellow has as good a chance with her as with anyone. We shall see. I hope he makes it.

• Options
    GeoMan42GeoMan42 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baby warf rat or forest rat. They can grow to 14 inches, tail to nose.

I heard this story about a couple of guys fishing in the Gulf of Mexico several years back. The were about 10 miles off the coast of Florida and saw what look like a very small dog swimming in the open ocean. They scooped it up with a fish net and went back to the marina and took the so called dog to the local vet. Were they surprised when the vet told them they had actually saved a large rat. The rat had apparently jumped ship just off the Florida coast and survived until they spotted it.[:D]

Geo
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Looks like a squirrel. Formula will kill it in a day or two. I believe pediolite is all they can safely consume. Do a search on squirrels and it will tell you what to do.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    looks like a squirrel 2 me could also be 1 of those mystery animals from maryland?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Keep us updated on his progress! I would like to know how he is doing every now and gain!

I had a chance to have two baby black squirrels once but decided against it.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

• Options
    pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
    edited November -1
    Only thing I saw close to that was a rat...I wouldn't argue this though.

You're wife sure loves animals, I would saw yuck and toss it over my shoulder!

"Girls often say it's not the size of the boat, and it's the motion of the ocean, well I'll tell you this it takes a hell of a long time to get to England on a row boat"
    "Marrying for sex is like taking a plane ride for peanuts"
    -Jeff Foxworthy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You might want to have it checked out with a vet to make sure it goesn't have any injuries from a possible fall or any diseases that might threaten it's life ....or yours!

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

• Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the little guy makes-it my vote will be for the name Rocky (for his start in life and after another squirrel I like). [:)]

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Now thats what I'd call limb bacon![}:)]
  • Options
    mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dawnie got up every two hours all night long to feed the critter.

Then, it died about 8:30 this morning. It had begun to show evidence of bruising and it was bleeding from the mouth. Evidently, the fall from the tree to the truck bed injured it beyond its ability to heal.

• Options
    steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    You guys did the best you could, and a lot more than most people would. I'm sorry it passed. [V]
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Sorry about that, but you guys did whatever you could do.

And you're probably right about it taking a lot of hurt from the fall.
  • Options
    dawniedawnie Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would of been neat to see what kind of critter I was feeding,but he was just to weak.Not knowing if he had something wrong with it to begin with and maybe mom kicked him out and then the fall to the truck.As David said he started to go down hill around 4 am I noticed that he turing blue and had a grey tint to him and his breathing became swallow so I figured that he had a bunch of internal injuries but I enjoyed him while I had him.I thankful for david for keeping him till I got home,he could of just tossed him but he knows how I love my critters and I think he enjoys them also.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry bout the squirrel.
    How did that rabbit make out that you were caring for a few months back?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    dawniedawnie Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JR the rabbit did great I moved him outside in his cage he went crazy he saw freedom smelled freedom but couldnt get to freedom till we took him out to the pasture and set him free..and he was off after turning back to us to say thanks bye
    Not to long ago I saw a rabbit in the neighbors backyard he came close to the fence the dogs ran over barking and he sat there looking at them i called his name he sat up looked at me and then turned and took off so I dont know if it was him or not but who knows he was used to the dogs....hadnt seen him since
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still thinking possum...I'm envisioning a scenario where the truck owner left a sandwhich in his cooler...Mommma possum came to unvestgate, dropped a baby out of her pouch...