In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question about chess rules?

woodybr549woodybr549 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
Im a new chess player and my rule sheet is a bit vague. Can a player move into "check" therefore allowing the other player to "checkmate"?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    NO! you may not move into check,, you may move into a check Mate only to concede the game..
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    classic is correct, you can not move and open yourself to checkmate unless you are conceding the game.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nyet, rumranskiy neversky movazda de kingzky or menyzdak tak 4to eto! itz inze bomaga![:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any chess experts know the answer to this: What is the other traditional gesture used to concede the game?
    edited November -1
    lay down your king.
    or smack the board over your opponants head.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Flipping the board [:D]
  • morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whipping out your derringer.

Oh - you said concede the game...
    edited November -1
    I won't keep you in suspense. I was taught that when you had no other move but into check you should concede the game by extending your hand, palm down, across the board.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Whipping out your derringer.

Speak for yourself, Morsecode![}:)]
  • morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Scuse me while I whip dis out!
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I won't keep you in suspense. I was taught that when you had no other move but into check you should concede the game by extending your hand, palm down, across the board.

If you have no move other than a move into check, then that's a draw isnt it? Maybe I should check on the rules real quick.

No that's a stalemate, sorry. THAT results in a draw.
  • edcr250edcr250 Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No move other than into check would be a stale-mate, right? Usually if you are in this position, you would concede the game to your opponenet by standing up to shake hands or laying over your king.
  • KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If every move is into "Check" then we have a "Stale Mate". The player can lay his king down and surrender OR simply call it a stale mate and set up again.
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    If you are not in check, you cannot move into a check position. If you have no other move, it is a stalemate. Your opponent cannot move to put you into check because it is your move. If you cannot move without putting yourself in check, -stalemate. He did not win because he did not have you in check, but you cannot move.

Thanks---Peabo
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't concede, it is a tie game.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    peabo is correct: quote:If you are not in check, you cannot move into a check position. If you have no other move, it is a stalemate. Your opponent cannot move to put you into check because it is your move. If you cannot move without putting yourself in check, -stalemate. He did not win because he did not have you in check, but you cannot move.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If you are not in check, you cannot move into a check position. If you have no other move, it is a stalemate. Your opponent cannot move to put you into check because it is your move. If you cannot move without putting yourself in check, -stalemate. He did not win because he did not have you in check, but you cannot move.

he has it correct, and there is theoretically no tie in chess, it is called stale mate

ok chess players here is three for ya

can a pawn move to a position directly to his side{edit} without capturing a piece that is in that square?

when a king is the only piece you have on the board, how many moves can he make before stalemate?

what is the minimum amount of moves that can be made from the start of the game to win by checkmate?
    edited November -1
    No its not a draw,, a draw is called when there is no possible way for one to checkmate the other..for example when there is only one peice on either side..If checkmate is possible, then no draw..When the opponent has you to the point of not being able to move unless into check He wins..
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    No its not a draw,, a draw is called when there is no possible way for one to checkmate the other..for example when there is only one peice on either side..If checkmate is possible, then no draw..When the opponent has you to the point of not being able to move unless into check He wins..

Wrong
    If your only move is into check it is a stalemate and each player get 1/2 point in tournament.
    edited November -1
    quote:Wrong
    If your only move is into check it is a stalemate and each player get 1/2 point in tournament.

mvp is correct also

come on guys those are three easy questions
    edited November -1
    Your right , I was thinking the player still had a move left.. Thats what I get for scan reading the post,,[:0]
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    1 can a pawn move to a position directly to his side{edit} without capturing a piece that is in that square?

2 when a king is the only piece you have on the board, how many moves can he make before stalemate?

3 what is the minimum amount of moves that can be made from the start of the game to win by checkmate?

1. I would say NO

2. I don't know if the rules limit the number of moves to keep the game from going on forever, but I would say the number is endless, depending on what pieces the opponent has remaining on the board.

3. Seven, four by winner and three by loser.

Thanks---Peabo
    edited November -1
    A pawn cant move 90 left or right degrees for anything..only straight ahead or oblique , thats the way I was taught[:p]a 4 move checkmate is possible..and many years ago when playing at the service clubs in small tournys they set a number of moves without check mate at 20, never heard of a standard though..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

ok chess players here is three for ya

can a pawn move to a position directly to his side{edit} without capturing a piece that is in that square?
    A pawn can never move directly to its side. It can move diagonally one square while capturing and if it it is En passant while it is passed by the opponants pawn in their opening move.
    when a king is the only piece you have on the board, how many moves can he make before stalemate?
    I think you are refering to the 50 move rule? that would be if the re has been no pieces taken and no pawn moves in the last 50 moves.
    what is the minimum amount of moves that can be made from the start of the game to win by checkmate?3
    edited November -1
    The answer to question #1 is Yes. the move is called "en passant" which is French for "in passing" allows player to move around a pice with capturing it.

#2beats me, seems like it could go on a while.

#5 moves each
    edited November -1
    MVP the winner moves 4 times.. Pawn, Bishop, Queen, Queen. The pawn to clear the path for the bishop and the queen.. bishop out, queen out, queen straight down the board. I have never seen a 3 move checkmate..If there is one, I just learned something new..[:D]
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    No, you may not deliberately move into check!
    PERIOD!
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fool's Mate lets you win in 2 moves each by white and black.

White Black
    P-KKT4 P-K4

P-KB3 Q-R5 Checkmate
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
    edited November -1
    who made that pawn rule up? in 50 years ive never seen it performed.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    mvp has it

en passant , very seldom known or used rule

the 50 move rule, it is often misunderstood that just the king can make 50 moves before stalemate, but the count gets restarted if the king makes a capture, or the opponents pawn is moved

while it has been referred to as 3 moves it actually takes the fourth move to declare checkmate
    edited November -1
    quote:who made that pawn rule up? in 50 years ive never seen it performed.

been playing for 32 years myself, know about it after about my fifth game, read it on many old chess books when i was a kid and inspired to be a great chess player, most of my learning how to loose was taught to me by a first class regional chess champ named Danny Doyle, when i was about 15 i was able to beat him frequently, and he quit playing me after that
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Didn't know about the 50 move rule.[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    who made that pawn rule up? in 50 years ive never seen it performed.

The en passant move was created by the french in the 1700s.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Thanks! Always a pleasure to learn something new!
    ... now, if I can only cram it into all that other 'grey matter' without
    having it fall out ... is another matter![:D]
    edited November -1
    On the subject of chess, does anyone play 1 minute speed chess?
    If so I challange to some speed chess online? Lotsa fun and its good for the heart.
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Everything else seems to be covered, but just in case there remains doubt:

The answer to #1 is NO. Even in an en passant capture, where you move a pawn two spaces forward (obviously that pawn's first move) so that it is now next to your opponent's pawn, avoiding the capture that would be possible if you had moved it only one space forward, he can capture it as if you had moved it one space forward. The move is still diagonal, although it captures a piece which is on a horizontally-neighboring square. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant for an explanation. Interestingly, en passant is a new enough move that Asian chess variants do not have it (or some other moves you may be accustomed to).

To #2, I have never made a game last that long, but it seems to me there is a 10-move rule or something that makes the game a draw if you place your opponent in check 10 moves in a row and fail to checkmate him. It's been a long time, though, since I last played competitively.

To #3, it doesn't matter unless you are studying combinatorics, which I've successfully avoided doing seriously for a number of years and am not about to start again the first day of 2006.

As to the original question - no, you may not move yourself into check. If there exists no move that you can make which does not place you in check, it is a stalemate, and nobody wins the game. If you play with a computer chess program, the program will not let you make a move into check. Other interesting rules about being in check are that you may not castle into, out of, or "through" check.

I've never heard of holding an open hand facing down over the board to concede defeat. I usually manage to sneak into a stalemate when it becomes impossible for me to win. I was notorious for that tactic back when I played a lot. I never conceded a game and rarely lost, but I probably had more stalemates than wins, too. [;)]
    edited November -1
    One part of the en passant capture that has not been mentioned yet is it has to be performed the move right after the passed pawn. In other words, it can't be done after another move has taken place.
    edited November -1
    remember when newspapaers would have the weekly game next to the jigsaw puzzle?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    Zero,

My grandfather in Ireland taught me to play chess and taught me the plam down gesture. It might be a European thing, but I've seen it used here in the US as well. It doesn't mean you are defeated, it means you can't make another move.