In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping boxes??

funtosellstufffuntosellstuff Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
Hey guys...

I am selling a few of my rifles on gunbroker and was wondering where I could get shipping boxes for them? I have done a search on the internet and they are all sold by a minimum of 20 boxes. I only need 3 of them. Anyone know of a good place to get shipping boxes?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try your local gun shop [:)]

A guitar box might work just as well, try the local guitar shop as well! [:)]

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    by the way, welcome to the forums.

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    featheredcoyotefeatheredcoyote Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey fun tosellstuff, A little secret I'll let you in on, it's more funtobuystuff!!!!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Shipping boxes can be very expensive bought one or two at a time. A friendly gun dealer might let you have some boxes some of his stuff came in.

Try a golf shop, or a lighting store. Golf clubs and fluorescent tubes also come in long narrow boxes.

Of course, if a rifle can be taken down, it can be shipped in a more rectangular box that doesn't scream its contents.

Another option might be to get one of the cheap hard cases from Doskocil. Wal*Mart sometimes sells them really cheap, or you may have a few lying about. I have used these with good results. I also used zip ties on the handles and latches to deter tampering, and taped them all around. Tape won't stick well to the plastic, so you have to tape full circle and stick the tape to itself.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    You should have UPS center or some store that sells moving box's
    Or take a flat piece of cardboard & make your own
    Myself I'm partal to the "KFC chicken meat boxs" that they throw in the trash.
    No one dares to look inside at it contents.
    walte
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shipped a few in large diameter (4 - 8") PVC pipe.

I buy all the boxes I can't scrounge from Uline:

http://www.uline.com/

Admittedly, most of my sales require no more than a 4" cube, but I bought all my cartons, etc. for my recent move through them for something like 25% (at most) of what Staples, U-Haul and the like charge. I just checked their site and twenty-five 6x6x36 boxes are $0.88 each in a 25 piece bundle.

On the USPS site:

http://usps.com

you can drill down through several pages to shipping supplies and they will *GIVE* you triangular 6"x25" Priority boxes for free in bundles of 25 (product O-1098S). I've used two of these taped together with some small splints for rigidity and received firearms similarly packaged. JMHO, but I consider USPS as *the* way to ship long arms.

Lastly, hardware and electrical supply places are always discarding flourescent bulb cartons . . . as David noted, these are great.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CMP sells shipping boxes with egg-crate foam in them, but they're expensive.

What I have done in the past is get a large box, like an appliance box or something, then cut it lengthwise to open it up. I'll then cut a wide strip and make my own box. Pack the rifle in bubblewrap, then wrap the cardboard around it and with enough tape you've gotyourself a pretty good box. If you go to an appliance store and get a refridgerator box you can make a couple homemade boxes out of it.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Check the dumpsters and you will find something long and go from there

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Check the dumpsters and you will find something long and go from there

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a few that'll not be used; depending on how far you are from Central Washington, transportation might not be an issue.
  • Options
    IowaIowa Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I order large quanities from Camron packaging- Where are you from, i can sell you a couple if you live close by- thanks Iowa