In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two at once

kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
Anyone ever had a chain-fire in a revolver? A chain-fire is two or more chambers going off together. It is not unheard of in cap and ball revolvers but I have a .22 that has done it on several occasions. I have polished the recoil shield face and I think the malady may be cured. It seemed fairly smooth to start with but SOMETHING was touching off the rim-fires. There was never any harm done to the gun (a 922 H&R) but it does make one flinch a bit. Nobody I have talked to around here has ever heard of such a thing, nor had I until it happened.

Comments

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it possible to have the same ammo auction (for .22 LR) run simultaneously on both rifle and pistol ammo venues?
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Never heard of that happening with anything but a cap and ball revolver.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Is it the same two chambers going off every time?

Are both rounds being struck by the firing pin??

Have you check the distances between all the chambers in the cylinder???

May be a weak spring reacting to the recoil of the first round.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    New one on me. Don't see how the fixed firing pin could strike more than one cartridge at a time, or have a rough enough faceplate to detonate a cartridge. Makes me curious. Post pictures, if you can. This interests me.

Also, seems to me that there should have been some damage. Please elaborate a bit more.
  • Options
    swopjanswopjan Member Posts: 3,292
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5

Also, seems to me that there should have been some damage. Please elaborate a bit more.

The reason there often isn't damage, or at least not much, is because pressures are so low. The chambers to either side of the barrel are likely completely unobstructed, so the bullet travels less than an inch and exits. No long barrel to burn powder and build up pressure, just a short chamber. It would have lower pressure and velocity than even the shortest snubby.

It does seem weird to happen in a cartridge gun though...
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I've pulled four bullets out of a .22 rifle barrel, with no visible damage. "not mine. fella tried to shoot it clear. [xx(]"

Pressure has to go somewhere, though. In my case, it was a semi-auto. Seems to me, that a revolver, at best, would be giving a face full of gas, and the lead still has to go somewhere.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So....what happens to the round that goes off in the chamber not lined up with the barrel? I'm no expert on this phenomenon, but it sounds like it could be pretty dangerous.