In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Who has the Invisible Dog Fence?????

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
If you have an invisible fence for your dog can you tell me what things to look for and what things to avoid. I have been looking at all the different prices and all the different models, each one advertised as a really good unit.

So I'm wondering which brands you have used and been happy with?
Conversely are there any brands you would avoid?
Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks all!!

Comments

• pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    What happenes in a power outage??
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

No electricity. Don
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Petsafe seems to be on top of all the reviews, I have one. It worked good for a while, but my dog's extremely smart so he figured out if he got a good running start at it, his momentum would carry him through the range of the shock until he got on to the other side. Then he'd sit and scratch his neck where he and been shocked and off he'd go hunting...

They do have collars for stubborn dogs like him, but I believe there comes a point to where it's being cruel to the animal. So I just gave up on it

Don't expect to just install one and expect your dog not to cross it. There is a training period in which you have to show him that if he goes out of the boundary lines where he will get shocked. Otherwise he'll just run through it and not know why he's being shocked

They have a battery backup, so if you're electricity goes out, it will still operate. But if your dog has been properly conditioned as to the boundaries that he can go before he gets Zapped, he won't even go near the area where it will zap him to see if it's working
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

No electricity. Don

Walked into that one.
    [:0][:0][B)][B)]
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a generator....that comes on when the power goes off...
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I had one of those where there was a central sending unit you kept in the house that basically if the collar wandered too far astray it would warn then shock.

It worked REALLY well.

For my dog.

He was an older golden retriever and did not try to charge the fence.

We were easily able to train him using the flags provided with the unit, which are critical to training.

Battery life in the collar was not great but not horrible either.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neighbor had a dog named bear. Big sweet mutt with the IQ of a cucumber. He would get to chasing squirrels, run thru fence, could not get back in his yard. Would come over to us, whining and dancing, VERY upset that he had "locked himself out" of his yard.

We would take his collar off, walk him back into his yard, put collar back, and he would be so grateful it was not funny.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How would we know if we did?
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an original Invisible Fence model with the lifetime guarantee. I am surrounded on three sides by farmer fence so I hung the wire in the fence with hog ties. The open side of my property has the wire buried. It has been in service for 25 years with no problems. Everything except the wire has been replaced under warranty due to age or lightning.

Over the years it has contained an Irish setter and two large German Shepherds. When I bought it I was told how to train the dog to the fence and how long to do it. It worked. The dogs would hit the beep and know to stop or get the chit shocked out of them. One shepherd did a dead run to the end of the driveway to get a rabbit but hit the beep zone and left skid marks on the driveway stopping before the hit.

Spend the money and get a good setup with a warranty, deep the batteries updated, train the dog as long as it takes and be able to sleep knowing the dog will be contained.

Now a funny story, sort of. a friend of mine has a beagle and a pit bull in Invisible Fence. The beagle has figured out she can lie down in the beep zone till the battery goes dead, then she can escape.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly once the dog gets use to the boundaries, the power could be off and it will not want to cross. You train the dog by walking it around the yard letting it get a buzz until it knows not to go there.
    In my case, our dog would not be trained, if she got the first buzz she laid down and I could not drag her any further. But if she wanted to chase something, she would run right thru the shock. It just didn't work for me. All I remember was it was Invisible Fence. Can't remember any other name.
    The other problem with it is it does not prevent anything else from entering the area.
  • Gun_PoorGun_Poor Member Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have a battery back up. If you can rent a trencher and do it yourself you can save a bunch of money. The dogs will need to be properly flag trained in order for it to work.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a PetSafe brand unit. It's wireless. Meaning there is a central station that projects an RF to a selected radius. If the collar approaches, it beeps. If it hits the boundary, it corrects. Even when it passes the boundary, it corrects. One positive of the wireless. The collar has to receive the RF in order to NOT correct. I've heard stories of dogs blowing past the line and getting free. Not with this one.

My 110lb American Bull-Dane took two hits and now knows his boundaries. He doesn't need the collar anymore, unless I see him start to test his limits.

If you have a smart dog, you may not need to worry about short term power-outages.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without an invisible dog, I've never needed one.
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might have one, but I don't know, I have not seen it [:)]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I put one in and it worked until a cat then my dog ran through it
    but would not come back through it on his own accord[:(]