In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you know when to put him down?

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
While I was in Kansas on that crazy trip, Zorro had a major seizure. My wife got him to the vet and we've had him on anti-seizure medication to prevent further seizures. He has never regained full strength in his back legs. Its hard for him to get up and if he tries to move too fast, he goes straight down. Sometimes, it looks like he goes down for no reason.

But he still seems so happy when he's not struggling to get up. You look at his face and its all smiles. You can tell that he WANTS to play but doesn't have the strength. When he goes down, he just looks at you like "what the heck just happened?"

I really don't know what to do. We got Penny and Zorro when we got our first house. Penny is doing great.

Another complication is that my wife an I haven't been able to have kids so these are basically our kids.

How do you know when its time?

ADDED: It should be noted that being an Anatolian/Rottweiler mix, he weighs about 125 pounds. Helping him up is doable. Trying to pick him up completely is a huge struggle.

ANOTHER ADDITION: My wife is now scared to be home alone with him because she doesn't want him to have another seizure while she's the only one here.

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    When the animal is spending more time suffering than enjoying life, it's time.
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

I've told my family the same thing is true of me, but they won't promise to pull the plug, much less put me down. Too hard to know the balance between suffering and enjoyment, they say, and too hard to know whether the situation might improve.

This is all hypothetical. I'm not sick or anything. At my age, though, it's time to have the talk and sign the papers.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very hard question and our oldest son just lost his buddy at 13 and the pain got so bad he looked at Wes and the look said help me DAD.[xx(]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    When you start to feel guilty about letting them suffer because you can't say goodbye.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a hard call to make.
    Look at his age, the illness and put yourself in his place. He wants to live but his body is failing, will he improve? from what you have described i dont like saying it but not likely, what happens when he reaches the point of needing to be carried outside to do his business.
    If he is having difficulty every time he tries to get up it may be time to start looking at letting him go.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there. When your pain is bad enough just thinking about his pain, it's time.

It's never easy, and your pain will linger on. But it would have, regardless. Better to end his.

I took my own dog out in the mountains. He hunted along as happy as he could be under the circumstances, and when he stopped still, entranced by some scent on the air, that was the moment I did it.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Been there. When your pain is bad enough just thinking about his pain, it's time.

It's never easy, and your pain will linger on. But it would have, regardless. Better to end his.

I took my own dog out in the mountains. He hunted along as happy as he could be under the circumstances, and when he stopped still, entranced by some scent on the air, that was the moment I did it.

I wouldn't be able to do that. I'll take him to the vet to have them do it. I could only put one of my animals down myself under the most dire circumstance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    What kind of a dog is it? (I'm assuming it's a dog because you didn't really say)

See my edit above.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Queen of Swords
    When you start to feel guilty about letting them suffer because you can't say goodbye.

Good answer.
    Last summer, I was on my way home to take my female Aussie to the vet to be put down.
    She died in mrsdeere's arms before I got there.
    I probably waited too long, but was glad she died at home.
    DSC_0129.jpg
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your dog might have a bulging disc in his spine. My suggestion would be to find a vet who is trained in animal chiropractics. A simple back adjustment might be all your buddy needs to get back up and around. He'll most likely never get back to 100%, but at least he'll be able to function again. We had a dachschund who had that happen, and for a while he was paralized from the mid-spine back, but after a few adjustments from the vet, he got back to probably 80%, maybe a little higher.
  • Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This March my 16 year old Silky Terrier Toby had what they called a stroke, like your dog Zorro, Toby's back legs would not work, he could stand if you helped him, but he just would stand there and look at you confused. While holding him I asked myself, what would I want done if I was in his situation, and I said I'd rather go to sleep. So holding him on my lap I had him put to sleep and while I miss him, I know that it was for the best. Good luck on your decision.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Your dog might have a bulging disc in his spine. My suggestion would be to find a vet who is trained in animal chiropractics. A simple back adjustment might be all your buddy needs to get back up and around. He'll most likely never get back to 100%, but at least he'll be able to function again. We had a dachschund who had that happen, and for a while he was paralized from the mid-spine back, but after a few adjustments from the vet, he got back to probably 80%, maybe a little higher.

Thanks. I'll look into that. They said that he has a mass by his * gland. They wanted to run an expensive test to find out if it was cancer. I asked if that could cause the seizure and they said no. I skipped on the test because if it IS cancer, we wouldn't be able to take any action. But I never thought about a bulging disk.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We put our 16 year old lab down last year. When they start having more bad days than good.
  • Options
    JeffreyD103JeffreyD103 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In no particular order,
    Can Zorro still get out to poop and pee OK? Is his quality of life OK?Can you afford the potential vet bills?
    Those were the kind of questions my wife and I asked each other when our cat Victoria became sick and lame. It was not a happy time.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

I wouldn't be able to do that. I'll take him to the vet to have them do it. I could only put one of my animals down myself under the most dire circumstance.

But, instead of having his last moments frightened to death by going to the vet. Rock had the courage to give his companion his last great wish and die on the mountain with a scent in his nose and a love for his surroundings.

I am so glad that I haven't had to deal with this. My Tyson went with dignity after 16 great years, while being petted to sleep by the family.

The thing about our pets is they are totally there for us untill the end. They don't know anything but love for you and until they can't stand it, they won't let you know.

I wish you clear vision on this to make the right choice and that when the time comes it is a tribute to what a great dog he has been for you.

I know this, I struggle to get up cause both of my knees have been blown out, but I'm glad my wife and kids don't judge this old bricklayer be put down, cause I'm happy when I'm standing, and that is my usual position.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JeffreyD103
    In no particular order,
    Can Zorro still get out to poop and pee OK? Is his quality of life OK?Can you afford the potential vet bills?
    Those were the kind of questions my wife and I asked each other when our cat Victoria became sick and lame. It was not a happy time.

He has had a handful of accidents. It looks like he either didn't know it was happening or didn't have the strength to get up.

As for quality of life, he is a dog so he obviously sleeps a lot. You can tell that he is happy when he isn't in pain. He wants to play but even TRYING to run and his back legs fall out from under him.

We can't afford astronomical vet bills but medication and some office visits are definitely doable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pietro75

But, instead of having his last moments frightened to death by going to the vet. Rock had the courage to give his companion his last great wish and die on the mountain with a scent in his nose and a love for his surroundings.

I am so glad that I haven't had to deal with this. My Tyson went with dignity after 16 great years, while being petted to sleep by the family.

The thing about our pets is they are totally there for us untill the end. They don't know anything but love for you and until they can't stand it, they won't let you know.

I wish you clear vision on this to make the right choice and that when the time comes it is a tribute to what a great dog he has been for you.

I know this, I struggle to get up cause both of my knees have been blown out, but I'm glad my wife and kids don't judge this old bricklayer be put down, cause I'm happy when I'm standing, and that is my usual position.

I don't fault Rocky for doing it that way. I just couldn't do it.
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If they are not in pain or unable to control their * functions I wouldn't just yet. Our Kona is getting up there in age but still wants to play and seems happy. I won't let her suffer or have accidents just because I don't want her to leave us. She has too much dignity for that.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1

I couldn't either...
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cameron...

I often contemplated 'what' or 'how' or 'when' or 'why' I would need to do this same thing...
    With all the animals I've had in my life... Fortunately... (Or unfortunately...) I've not been there yet.
    Seems each time, that it was getting close to make such a decision...
    That decision was taken out of my hands and I was left with the ordeal of what to do afterwards.

In the case of my Bea-Jay... His seizure was what took him away from me at seven years...
    We were shocked. And took a'back at what had jus'happened. And still feel an emptiness that Bea-Jay surely filled.
    Even with the others we still have... Bea-Jay held a special place in our lives.

My thoughts will be with you and Zorro... While you work this out.
    Sorry, I have nothing else to offer friend...
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

It's takes a special bond to be able to do what Rocky could and did...
    I would hope I could as well, if the situation warranted the action.
    Otherwise...
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I had a dog that had seizures all her life. I finally put her down when she was suffering to much, she lasted 16 years, when it was time to put her down she had open bleeding tumors, blind, and could hardly move and would whine alot of the time I knew it then. Seizures are hard to watch but they come out of them
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    I just deleted my original posting. If someone replies to it and copied it first, fine. I should have left it. Otherwise, I have a hard time responding to a matter like this without allowing my true feeling out. I hate bravado when it isn't necessary and more when it's pure bs. I am sorry for your companion. When the quality of life doesn't really exist, it's time. Best wishes in dealing with a tough decision. [:(]

I don't know if I saw it or not. I invite you to be honest. You won't hurt my feelings.

If I had my druthers, Zorro would live forever. I always said "Good thing our dogs will live forever so we won't have to go through that."

When my wife called me in tears, I comforted her by telling him that Zorro would be ok because "he's going to live forever."

Barring that he doesn't live forever, I don't know if I should let him go naturally, or put him down due to suffering. It would be very difficult for my wife to go through that if she happened to be the one that was home at the end. On the other hand, I don't want to put him down when there is still lots of life in him.

I've just never been in this kind of situation before. So please, share your thoughts, as brutal as they may be.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a good vet they will come to your house. Never want my last memories to be the ride to the vet.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the chiropractic option first, and it's really iumportant to find a vet you can trust to tell you the straight out facts. This is difficult, I wish I could help you,I do know he chiropractor has helped a lot of dogs, mine included.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Not being able to do something is not necessarily suffering, for Pete's sake.

I think it's a bit soon for the dramatics, from what you have said.

I don't think that it is time. But I am worried that I won't know when it is.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take a look at this picture.
    to look at her you would not think there is a thing wrong with her.
    she lost the use of her back legs
    100_1812.jpg
    that was one of the hardest days in my life when I took her to the vet and had her put down that evening
    I will tell you this if you have a friend that can put her down, it will be easier on both of you
    I have shot many dogs because of illness in my life but for some reason I couldn't shoot sunnie
    as I held her the vet said this is a calming shot to make her relax. when he gave her the first shot, her head went left to right left to right looking at me as if I let her down
    never again will I take a dog to the vet to be put down
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Oftimes, Loving Family Dogs BITE while having seizures. Careful!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad
    Oftimes, Loving Family Dogs BITE while having seizures. Careful!

When my wife got him to the vet, the vet explained that they often lose vision during the seizure and are very confused. He did growl at my wife when she was holding him. I think that is part of why it was so hard for her. She felt helpless.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is your duty to your animal to do what needs done when it needs done. Think of all the good feelings and times that the dog has given you. You owe them dignity.
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just deleted my original posting. If someone replies to it and copied it first, fine. I should have left it. Otherwise, I have a hard time responding to a matter like this without allowing my true feeling out. I hate bravado when it isn't necessary and more when it's pure bs. I am sorry for your companion. When the quality of life doesn't really exist, it's time. Best wishes in dealing with a tough decision. [:(]

I don't know if I saw it or not. I invite you to be honest. You won't hurt my feelings.

If I had my druthers, Zorro would live forever. I always said "Good thing our dogs will live forever so we won't have to go through that."

When my wife called me in tears, I comforted her by telling him that Zorro would be ok because "he's going to live forever."

Barring that he doesn't live forever, I don't know if I should let him go naturally, or put him down due to suffering. It would be very difficult for my wife to go through that if she happened to be the one that was home at the end. On the other hand, I don't want to put him down when there is still lots of life in him.

I've just never been in this kind of situation before. So please, share your thoughts, as brutal as they may be.

My original response was critical of someone now deemed courageous for stating they put their dog down in a manner that I deem sneaky and low-handed. I grew up on ranches with cattle and lots of "working dogs" and "pet dogs." Those that don't know the difference haven't had both. I've put many working dogs down, but my conscience won't allow me to take the life of my friend. Cameron, you have asked how to properly care/prepare for your companion's exit from this world. He's not just a working dog and your companion deserves to be put down correctly and with dignity. Call your vet and request they come to you. If your companion is to be buried on your property, he will already be there. Otherwise, your vet will take him away for cremation. I used to grit my teeth when people would ask me how I felt about taking bad guys lives for a living. There is no correct answer, unless they mean nothing to you. I wish you all the strength necessary to deal with this in the proper and dignified manner.

Thanks. I know that some would rather be the ones to put their dog down. But to me, I would feel like I'm doing him a disservice by not taking him to an expert.

I just got back from the vet's office to refill the prescription for his medicine. They gave me a 60 day supply. On the last visit, the vet said that the stumbling can be a side effect of the medication and that it can take 2 months to wear off. I don't know if that is all this is or not but we'll see.

Others have suggested a veterinary chiropractor but I'm not finding any in my area.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to report to the vet your dog is still having seizures. They run blood tests and will change the dosage. My dog Dixie has epilepsy. She is on two phenobarbital in the morning and two in the evening. He had her on three each 12 hour and she was a zombie. Getting the dosage correct is the key. They do not stop seizures but make the seizures easier on the dog and they do not last as long. She has been on it for about 4 months and had 2 very mild seizures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    You need to report to the vet your dog is still having seizures. They run blood tests and will change the dosage. My dog Dixie has epilepsy. She is on two phenobarbital in the morning and two in the evening. He had her on three each 12 hour and she was a zombie. Getting the dosage correct is the key. They do not stop seizures but make the seizures easier on the dog and they do not last as long. She has been on it for about 4 months and had 2 very mild seizures.

Thats the same thing Zorro is on. He's not having seizures anymore, just weak/unstable back legs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    There are other drugs besides phenobarbital.

I figure you will be able to tell when it is time, all you need to know is whether it is/is not at the present.

Don't borrow trouble.

We discussed switching medication at his last appt (11/14) but the vet said that they all have the same side effects. So if the weakness and stumbling IS a side effect, switching his medicine will just prolong the side effects wearing off.