In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It's dangerous out there....by the woodpile

320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Backed the truck to the woodpile to bring some to the back porch for winter. Minding my own business, and pow, got clobbered by a walnut right on the head. Crap, looked up here came two more looking for a target. I'm old but still pretty quick and both were evaded. Kept loading and here comes another, direct hit on the shoulder, oooww-pain. Then here comes a cluster, missed me but landed in the bed of the truck. I figured I'd wait till the "fall" is over to bring more wood around.

Comments

• Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should mention that.

I was in the barn last weekend working on the leaf sucker and heard a bang that made me think someone was shooting in the yard. Went outside, no one around, heard another, looked up and saw a walnut bounce off the barn roof!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    For how accurate they are around here, I would swear the squirrel is out to get me for not refilling the Bird feeder.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a squirrel, obviously there's a Walnut chunker hiding in the woodpile.[:p]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son bought a house on a piece of property that has a few walnut trees on it. Since the walnuts started to drop, my little grandkids refuse to play in the backyard. They have both been hit on the head by one
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a tree stand in an hedge tree.
    I always check for apples above my head before getting in it. [:D]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would've thunk the woodchucks were chucking wood. Their way of telling you to get off his lawn you dirty shaved ape [:D].
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,282 ******
    edited November -1
    I've seen squirrels do that.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was Allen Griggs, he has an affinity for walnut trees...
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,360 ******
    edited November -1
    From Sir Isaac Newton to Chicken Little, the forces of gravity always work against those of us who have to do stuff to make our lives better!

I had to drive out into the field to get my deer blind set up and flushed a huge flock of black birds out of the bushes. I had so much bird crap on my rig that the rest of the afternoon was spent with a bucket, hose, scrub brush, and soap!

I'm sure glad that cows don't fly!
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got tired of the walnut trees in my yard having to clean up the mess after they fall and getting clobbered by them. Last year I cut 9 in my yard and sold the logs for $6500.00. It was a mess cleaning up after, but I sure don't miss them.
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a reminder for me to go gather walnuts before the squirrels have them all.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jason, you can have mine.