In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unacceptable Marketing -- Outdoor Life

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in General Discussion
Received a nice hunting video in the mail today from Outdoor Life. Thought it must be a bonus for my long-time subscription. However, letter said I could either pay for it or send it back -- my choice. Call me crazy, but I got real fired up and sent a glaring complaint email. I think it's ridiculous that they send me a product I didn't ask for or agree to pay for, and expect me to pay for it or go to the trouble of re-packing and mailing it back (which for me involves a drive to the post office). How would you like it if instead of getting the usual pile of daily junk mail, every company started sending you their products like this? I just think it's ridiculous. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The NRA does it all the time.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, unsolicited item sent by mail may be considered as junk mail and disposed of accordingly.

That's that way I treated those NRA mailings. No problem when I explained to them that I am under no obligation to take any action, including returning the item to them. Of course, they don't send me any now. [:D]

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been a member of the NRA for a long time but they have never sent me any thing I had to pay for.Now the NAHC is another story I wont even go there,but their just a corporation of crooks.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    if you are sent something you didn't request you can keep it as a gift.
    Years ago the phone company had a glitch in their billing system and sent me a check for $75 every Thursday as a refund on an over paid bill. I got those checks for many months week after week. Eventually they figured it out and asked for the thousands of dollars back or else. I told them to blow it out their reciever hole and they couldn't do a thing about it cause the checks were made out to me with no strings attached.My phone bills run between $200 and $300 a month so I guess they got it back anyway.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    Mr. BlastyMr. Blasty Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    if you are sent something you didn't request you can keep it as a gift.

Yup, keep it and don't pay.
  • Options
    James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it wasn't certified mail with signature of receipt- YOU NEVER RECEIVED IT!!!

+if you ever feel lost, just talk to a native" JIMBO
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Shoot it with your 12 guage and mail it back.

awcountdown.gifWithout Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
    8006728.gif
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Find the biggest "business return mail - postage paid" envelope in your junk mail and stuff the tape (and other junk mail) into that and drop it in the mail. Make 'em all pay!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    About 15 years ago a television cable company got the bright idea for marketing their channels, put them on everyones selection, provide access to them for three months. If the customers didnt want the channel, they were to let the cable company know, then it would be discontinued. After three months if no cancellation order was received, the company would start billing the customer. The stgate attorney general filed an action, and prevailed; if the company wanted to provide the channel for free on an unsolicited basis, that was fine, but in order to charge, the customer would have to ask for the service. Seems to me these mailings from NRA and who ever else fit the same category. If someone sends something to me, that I didn't ask for, basicly with the idea that I'll send the desired price or the item back, in Washington state, I just received a gift.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am an NRA member and they sent me a video about 6 month ago with the deal of keeping it for a cost of about $9.99 and getting more, or sending it back. They have sent several letters wanting payment or the video sent back. I don't feel like going through the hassle (can't find the return label it came with) of packaging it up and sending it back so I kept it. Shame on anyone for sending me something I didn't request and expecting payment or a return.[:(!]

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send it back COD.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BigDaddy has it exactly right. If you did not request it, you are under no obligation to either return it or pay for it. It is a gift.
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use some tape to cover the holes that prevent the tape from recording, record 3 hours of Fox News, and then send it back. Send a note along that says if they don't want to be billed for $24.99, they'll need to return the tape to Bill O'Reilly.
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigdaddy is correct. It may be considered a gift. I recieved one of these tapes from O.L. about a year ago. Along with a cheap, small knife as a "free gift". They sent several bills, then called me to try and get payment. I let them know that I knew the law. <click>
    No more bills, either. [}:)][:D]

I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say thay I said it. I want to make this very clear.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that "unsolicited, free gift" concept differs from state to state. Just write to your State's Attorney General, just to be sure.
    Sometimes, especially when you "subscribe" to something, somewhere in the fine print you will find that as part of your "subscription," you have agreed to certain marketing programs. Just make sure you have not signed up for this and not know it.
    It's not worth ruining your credit over a $10 "free gift."