In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

want to live?

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in General Discussion
didnt want topost this on the o.p.
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536378
since Marks mom and brother have both checked it a couple times and send their thanks for your thoughts...

the blast took Marks legs both to the knees, but i only just found out WHY they took them up to the hip...
his thighs were basically disected and "donated" to re-build his back and sides because there was so much muscle and skin gone!

it makers me wonder, do we know someone wants to go through so much pain and live dis-abled to that extent
he was in an induced coma to help him bear the pain of his injuries

remember this was an active typical "farm boy"
for myself i cant even imagin having to decide

when i was younger and was in real bad shape (actually had to be "jump started" 3 times) the thought of my kids, at that time 1 4 yrs and 1 6 months old made me fight
but to have such major "structural damage" and the related pain of healing and "therapy" needed for such extensive inuries (had a lot of that too, not fun!)

to not be able to get up and go to "real" work and hard play...
i cant even imagine, let alond say for sure i would want to fight on to live like that...
what about the rest here?

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is an intensely personal decision each would have to make. Some would choose not to live with those physical restrictions while others would embrace what was left. I would respect either decision if I believed the patient had given it serious consideration and wasn't just reacting to the initial shock of the situation.
    For me, well, my bucket list is pretty empty. I've done just about everything I ever set my mind to. Had a good military career, great wife, wonderful kids. But, now the kids are grown and gone, and my wife would be financially secure. I would probably decide "check please, I'm leaving". [;)]
  • Options
    NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    "The will to live will always outweigh the ability to die"
    Who could know that...
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still feel like checking out now from time to time then i think how selfish that would be to the others. I know how bad it would hurt my wife and grand kids. Just to see the grand kids running up to me call papa makes it all worth while. I am having more good days than bad now.[;)]
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Death is a release from the impressions of the senses, and from desires that make us their puppets, and from the vagaries of the mind, and from the hard service of the flesh."

"Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live."

~ Marcus Aurelius
    [^]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I still feel like checking out now from time to time then i think how selfish that would be to the others. I know how bad it would hurt my wife and grand kids. Just to see the grand kids running up to me call papa makes it all worth while. I am having more good days than bad now.[;)]
    i wellknow the feeling Dave
    i spent several years swaying between knowing i wanted, "had to" be there for the kids and wife, at the same time feeling like a burden not even able to go steps or even hold the baby let aslone "take care" of them
    to be as torn apart as Mark is just now, having at least an idea what lays ahead...
    i could just lay down and cry for him and what i know to be in his future for several years to come
    i just hope he is able tocope with both the pain and massive change in his lifestyle...