In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Gold Cup National Match

Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
Is there a big difference in the quality of the guns made today vs the guns made awhile back? I'm thinking the NM's made back in the 70's? Or, IDK, when was the gun really made well?

Sorry for fumbling with this question/I really don't know how to ask what I want to know. Yes, I know I look like an idiot, but I'm used to it. [:D][:o)]

I have a chance to buy a (recent manufacture)NM, locally, but, I got to tell ya, I really like the look of the gun that Mark Christian has, and I want one that's similar. Maybe if he reads this, he can post of a pic of his?

Anyway, time is of the essence, as the local dealer will not hold it for much longer.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have acquired a Colt Series '80 MKIV Gold Cup National Match. I would like to know where I can go online to purchase upgrade parts, custom parts, accessories, etc. Really want to make this a "one of a kind" custom pistol. Any links or help would be great.

WebMan
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IME (and I was there) many Colts in the late 1970s and early 1980s exhibited very poor quality control. Not all, of course, but many. The bad ones are obvious to a visual inspection. Mostly fit and finish issues.

One 1911 I saw brand new in the dealer's display case had the front of the slide milled on an angle so that about 1/2" of the bushing was exposed on the top. Should never have gotten out of the factory like that.

I own several Colts made during that period and all are fine. But there were some real lemons produced. I would want to at least see good photos of any Colt made 1974-1985 before buying.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now you got me scared, Doc. [:0][:D]

I thought that I posted this question in the other forum. You know, the one with the experts, lol. I must be losing my mind, huh? [B)][:(][:p]

Oh well, this is a good place as any, as I'm sure that there are plenty of folks that will know something about the pistol I have named - err, I hope so. [:D]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is from around 1978 and has seen a lot of holster carry but QC is not an issue with it.

standard.jpg

Made in 1983 it's beautiful.

standard.jpg

Like I said, SOME Colts from that period are real losers, but certainly not all.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...