In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Feds stealing more money from Social Security

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
United States Senator Mike Lee

Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015

This is how it happens.

Last night while you were sleeping the Senate voted to steal $150 billion dollars from the Social Security Trust Fund. I joined 34 of my colleagues in a vote to prevent this raid. I would like to thank Senator Rand Paul for leading the fight to protect to Social Security from the thieves in Washington, who seem to think that if they steal from the American people at night while they are sleeping that they will get away with it. I was proud to vote with Senator Paul on his point of order that would have protected Social Security, and I ask you to help me shine a light on what Washington has tried to hide from you in the darkness of night.

If everyone who sees this message shares it, it will reach millions of Americans. As someone who has been fighting for years to reform our broken government in Washington, I know it is exhausting, I sympathize with your frustration, and I understand your impatience. But don't give up. Washington wants you to give up.

Just remember, a vote to raid social security in the middle of the night in a desperate attempt to perpetuate an unsustainable spending addiction isn't a sign of strength. It is a sign of weakness.
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    this makes me so F$%^& mad [:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duh, it is our government after all [:o)] 12 ft under scum.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    No COLA for SSI/R recipients this coming year.Isn't that enough of a rip off?
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SS may be a ponzi scheme and all that, but it is a fund that is financed by employee and employer contributions. it is NOT a handout like welfare. it is a return on investment[poor one].
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know the money "stolen" was shifted from the Social Security Retirement Trust Fund to the Social Security Disability Trust fund, right?

I don't necessarily agree with it either, but to say it was stolen from Social Security is a stretch.

The simple fact of the matter is that both programs promise too much for too little paid in.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't that special...$150 Billion dollars, the same amount that Obama gave to Iran. That sorry SOB!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    then again, i read today that $11BILLION in fraudulent payments to SSI Disability recipients was discovered by the General Accounting office.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no trust fund; the money has been gone for years, we send in the "contribution" (TAX!) and they put those dollars on a ledger. As soon as the ink is dry they steal it. Your ledger still shows the money is there but the vault in WV has only congressional IOU's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i doubt the IOU's are even on paper
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    There is no trust fund; the money has been gone for years, we send in the "contribution" (TAX!) and they put those dollars on a ledger. As soon as the ink is dry they steal it. Your ledger still shows the money is there but the vault in WV has only congressional IOU's.

Exactly, started during the Johnson "war on poverty" give-a way[V]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Nailed it. There is no SS trust fund.The way I remember in was in 1968 Lyndon B Johnson moved all money from a SS Trust fund into the General Fund to help pay for the Viet Nam War.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I applaud the senator's courage, it's too late for any of us to recover. The SS system has been insolvent since around 1980. There isn't just one system design problem, there are hundreds of them.

Neal

"A prophet is a pariah in his own time." ---- unknown
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    i doubt the IOU's are even on paper

They are on a paper....last I heard, they are stored in a single filing cabinet in a small office in WV.
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trust fund ceased to exist when the democrats voted to merge SS money into the general fund in 1968, replaced with Treasury securities. It's been downhill ever since. And to add insult to injury I'd bet they have to borrow the money when those treasury bonds are redeemed in order to pay SS benefits.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well, when this new budget promises to borrow 40 cents for every dollar spent, ya i would say the feds would have to borrow it
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Just remember, a vote to raid social security in the middle of the night in a desperate attempt to perpetuate an unsustainable spending addiction isn't a sign of strength. It is a sign of weakness."

Absolutely.

I am proud to say my rep Barton (R-TX) voted against it, a total of 167 Republicans voted against it in the House. And I got 50% in the Senate (that's why I worked for an upgrade in 12).

Want to know how your rep voted?

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

There is a short cut, if your Congressman is a Democrat, they voted for it. 100% of the Democrats in the House and 100% in the Senate voted YEA. (that is the same percentage as the ACA).
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoke and mirrors.

SS and SSD should rightfully be removed from any special designation and moved into the General Fund so as to be treated like the day to day expense that they have become.

The myth of any separation of funds today needs to be dispelled, and people must realize that they are paying into and being paid out of current accounts.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The "bipartisan" budget the US House just passed also contains some major cuts in Social Security - mainly spousal benefits and the "lump-sum payment" choice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    The "bipartisan" budget the US House just passed also contains some major cuts in Social Security - mainly spousal benefits and the "lump-sum payment" choice.

Good. Both acts were needed.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    every one that voted to "borrow" for it should take a long walk on a short pier...after the waters are well chummed
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How they voted:

Democrats that call themselves Republicans

John McCain (AZ)----yes
    Lindsey Graham (SC)----yes
    Lamar Alexander (TN)---yes
    Orrin Hatch (UT)
    yes
    Mitch McConnell (KY)---yes
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alexander (R-TN)
    Ayotte (R-NH)
    Barrasso (R-WY)
    Capitol (R-WV)
    Cochran (R-MS)
    Collins (R-ME)
    Cornyn (R-TX)
    Graham (R-SC)
    Hatch (R-UT)
    Kirk (R-IL)
    McCain (R-A2)
    McConnell (R-KY)
    Murkowski (R-AK)
    Roberts (R-KS)
    Rounds (R-SD)
    Thune (R-SD)
    Tillis (R-NC)
    Wicker (R-MS)
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its always interesting how the thieves in the night steal from the workers thier dues...

Shame and note the sell out scum that steal our benefits.

Curse their black souls!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still trying to understand how allowing other Social Security funds to prevent Disability Trust fund to go bankrupt is "stealing".

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it.

Mr McManus correctly points out that both programs should be paid out of the General fund, as the current system is basically just shifting imaginary money from one budget to another, but the law doesn't currently allow for that.

If this hadn't been done, people on Social Security Disability (and there are a bunch of them on this forum, btw) would have seen a significant cut in benefits very soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    perhaps weeding out the $11 BILLION paid out to fraudulent Disability claims would have prevented the need to STEAL from the SS line of credit...quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    Still trying to understand how allowing other Social Security funds to prevent Disability Trust fund to go bankrupt is "stealing".

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it.

Mr McManus correctly points out that both programs should be paid out of the General fund, as the current system is basically just shifting imaginary money from one budget to another, but the law doesn't currently allow for that.

If this hadn't been done, people on Social Security Disability (and there are a bunch of them on this forum, btw) would have seen a significant cut in benefits very soon.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I was just wondering how they could steal $150 Billion more when I thought they were already stealing all of it anyhow.[:(]
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    every one that voted to "borrow" for it should take a long walk on a short pier...after the waters are well chummed

[:0][^][:D]