Knife Sharpeners NOT to Buy!!

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in General Discussion
Earlier there was a question about a good knife sharpener to buy. I sharpen my own knives, but sometimes it gets old so behind the scenes I was actually looking for one too.

I'd heard abut this sharpener called the "Work Sharp", so I looked into it and it looks pretty good, but there's some add on's you need to get. (i.e. like the Ken Onion Edition).

Anyway, I thought I might put the worksharp down on my Christmas list. In the meantime I had an old knife sharpener Dad gave me which he raved about; it's called a Chefs Choice.

Now, it's important to understand here that Dad taught me how to truly "sharpen" a knife, I'm talkin "razor" sharp! That he would ever recommend some automated device in his later years was really surprising to me. I never bought one, but he gave one to me. I used it a couple times and wasn't impressed, so it sat in the box and collected dust.

Recently I got into re-profiling knife edges (much bigger deal than just 'sharpening'). I had a 'parang' (a cheap one) I posted a picture of here and I thought "what the heck" so I pulled out the Chefs Choice. The parang was pretty sharp anyway, but I wanted it better.

I ran it through the Chefs Choice a few times and checked the edge. It had gone from 'very' sharp to just sharp. I ran it through a few more times and it went from sharp to...this friggin' thing couldn't cut butter, dull!! After a couple more passes my parang was so dull a kindergartener couldn't hurt himself with it...just stupid dull.

So, for my review this eveing, I don't have any opinion on the work-sharp as I don't have one yet, but I implore everyone to stay away from this device called a Chefs Choice! They're complete junk!!

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have a small,square yellow sharpener with a carbon steel V notch on 1 side and a V of ceramic rods on the other.
    I run it over the blade 3-4 times on the carbon side then 8-10 times across with the ceramic side.
    It works pretty darn good.
  • booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the post. I have been thinking about the work sharp tool, but waiting to hear some credible reviews. It looks to be OK, but there are some things out there just to separate us from our money.

hopefully someone here has one and can give a review of the thing.
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a chefs choice and like you I found it was not very good.
    I have the Work Sharp 2000 and it does a great job.
    The belts for it are kind of expensive but it works fast and you will get a good edge.
    It will however remove a lot of metal fast so be careful.
    There are a couple different models but they make one specifically for knives.
    BiMart has it on sale right now for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385870137&sr=8-2&keywords=work+sharp
  • montanajoemontanajoe Member, Moderator, Sr. Moderator Posts: 51,179 ******
    edited November -1
    Wow,I thought it was just me. I have a three stage model and I just can not get a good sharp edged knife out of the darn thing. I watched a dozen different video demonstrations on it too. Still can't make it happen for me.
    Bought me a 'Smith's' three stone manual sharpener and love it. Don't think I'll ever try another fancy plug in the wall sharpener.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A simple ol'Oil stone is all I had ever used...

Coarse and fine ... Takes a bit of learning to get a blade sharp... But it can be done.

In the last few years though, I found diamond stones and ceramics...
    Using the same techniques as I used with the oil stone... Now I get VERY sharp edges.

Nothing beats a fine grit and some oil... Patience and time.
    A leather strop doesn't hurt either... [;)]
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,650 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Chiefs Choice......and they do make several models...so have the model with 3 sharpening stations. It will provide a knife edge that will slice thru paper like a new razor.

It gives a good servicable edge on kitchen knives and with some additional use of ceramic sticks ...... gives a very, very sharp edge.

I've used it for years and everyone is always amazed as how sharp our kitchen knives are. Also used on my hunting knives but usually stone them to a finish edge on a hard black Arkansas stone.

Just my 2 cents worth. [:)]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine has (3) sharpening stations and it sucks royal booty! It's the Diamond Hone 110 model. I would give it to my worst enemy; that way I know I'd only get bruised (or less).

I'm pretty much a stone guy, love my Arkansas mediums and fines, but with some of my larger blades I'd like something more aggressive, that's why I'm looking at the work-sharp (but not just the basic model, I'm wanting the Ken Onion Edition).
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Mine has (3) sharpening stations and it sucks royal booty! It's the Diamond Hone 110 model. I would give it to my worst enemy; that way I know I'd only get bruised (or less).

I'm pretty much a stone guy, love my Arkansas mediums and fines, but with some of my larger blades I'd like something more aggressive, that's why I'm looking at the work-sharp (but not just the basic model, I'm wanting the Ken Onion Edition).

Sorry to hear that. Yours must have been made on a Monday or a Friday!

[:D][:D][:D]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    5.00 harbour freight knife sharpner ..i could shave with my buck knife
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Norton Tri-stone is all you need. Well. maybe a steel for the finishing touches. Used one for years.

81sIMrDhKOL_AA1500__zps61cd6d1f.jpg
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    the problem that I see with the various electric sharpeners is that the belt moves so fast that friction heats the blade to the point that the temper of the steel in the thin portion (the edge) is lost, which ruins the steel for holding an edge.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the older version and it works great for me ...

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=558719&SearchTerms=a,dull,knife,

It's simple, if it gets dull, sharpen again. It only takes a couple of passes and it's good to go again.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Gatco, which does a nice job. I think the Wicked Edge system looks interesting though. Anyone ever use one?
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

Demo looked good:
    http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_hwdmediashare&view=mediaitem&id=28&Itemid=60
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I bought a Work Sharp Ken Onion model a while ago, and that thing will put a edge on any knifes or about anything else you have in short order.. I mean to tell you that it puts a sharp edge on in a short time..
    No more spending lots of time getting a sharp edge with oil stones...
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I bought a Work Sharp Ken Onion model a while ago, and that thing will put a edge on any knifes or about anything else you have in short order.. I mean to tell you that it puts a sharp edge on in a short time..
    No more spending lots of time getting a sharp edge with oil stones...
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'll stick with my old Lanski [^]
    edited November -1

[^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    the problem that I see with the various electric sharpeners is that the belt moves so fast that friction heats the blade to the point that the temper of the steel in the thin portion (the edge) is lost, which ruins the steel for holding an edge.
    I'm gonna say you probably hit the "bulls eye" with this comment...
    Doesn't take much friction to heat up a thin section versus a thick section of any material.

Never have held much faith in a powered sharpener... Short of a peddle wheel.
    Something like this is what's in my mind...

grinder2.jpg
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to think of myself as a modern young man who takes advantage of all the new technology I can afford, if it works.

The best thing I have found for keeping a knife sharp and in good shape is to use it only as a knife. Don't use it as a screwdriver, chisel, hammer, crowbar, etc., unless it has a screwdriver, chisel, hammer, crowbar, etc. attached to it.

The next thing is have an edge appropriate for the use of a knife. A hunting knife, butcher knife and some kitchen knives need to be very sharp, almost razor like. An everyday pocket knife shouldn't be razor sharp. A razor edge won't last as long as sharp knife edge. If you open a cardboard box with a razor edge, you have a dull knife when you finish.

When it comes to sharpening knives I have not found anything better than Arkansas stones and honing oil. Stones and oil take a little extra time, effort and patients, but they give you the best edge possible and remove less steel than the 'sharpening systems'.

Arkansas stones come in Wapoopa (coarse), Soft (medium), Hard (fine), True Hard (fine), Translucent (extra fine), Black Hard (ultra fine). There may be more but that's the ones I know about. You only need three, Wapoopa, Soft and Hard, unless you are sharpening razors, you'll need a Black Hard.

Most Arkansas stones come with instructions on how to use them. That's information you need to know, but the only way to really learn is practice until you get one right. After that it ain't so hard any more.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,672 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Arkansas stones come in Wapoopa (coarse), Soft (medium), Hard (fine), True Hard (fine), Translucent (extra fine), Black Hard (ultra fine).
    I gotta get me one of them Wapoopa stones. Ain't the autosensor great. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    Earlier there was a question about a good knife sharpener to buy. I sharpen my own knives, but sometimes it gets old so behind the scenes I was actually looking for one too.

I'd heard abut this sharpener called the "Work Sharp", so I looked into it and it looks pretty good, but there's some add on's you need to get. (i.e. like the Ken Onion Edition).

Anyway, I thought I might put the worksharp down on my Christmas list. In the meantime I had an old knife sharpener Dad gave me which he raved about; it's called a Chefs Choice.

Now, it's important to understand here that Dad taught me how to truly "sharpen" a knife, I'm talkin "razor" sharp! That he would ever recommend some automated device in his later years was really surprising to me. I never bought one, but he gave one to me. I used it a couple times and wasn't impressed, so it sat in the box and collected dust.

Recently I got into re-profiling knife edges (much bigger deal than just 'sharpening'). I had a 'parang' (a cheap one) I posted a picture of here and I thought "what the heck" so I pulled out the Chefs Choice. The parang was pretty sharp anyway, but I wanted it better.

I ran it through the Chefs Choice a few times and checked the edge. It had gone from 'very' sharp to just sharp. I ran it through a few more times and it went from sharp to...this friggin' thing couldn't cut butter, dull!! After a couple more passes my parang was so dull a kindergartener couldn't hurt himself with it...just stupid dull.

So, for my review this eveing, I don't have any opinion on the work-sharp as I don't have one yet, but I implore everyone to stay away from this device called a Chefs Choice! They're complete junk!!

Work Sharp on sale today from NorthernTool.com

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200431964_200431964