In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cable TV, what a joke.

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm praying for the day I can tell those bandits to take a hike.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have direct tv now, changing due to price continually going up. Decided to go with Comcast and get wi- fi. They've been to my house five times so for and still haven't even put a cable to the house. Just got a call that they would be here today again to install service. Guess they'll look at it again and ask where's the cable, That's what everyone they've sent so for has asked. I told them on the front end I didn't have a cable to the house. All they have to do is string a line temporally, then bury it later like they did at my neighbors house, but I guess their to lazy to do that.
    JW
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to social media, you will get some results rather quick. At least I did [:)]
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cable and satellite is a thing of the past. Old technology. Streaming from the internet is the "new kid on the block". I just dropped Direct and bought a Roku 3. Over 600 channels (most are free), no monthly charge except premium channels (re: Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). We enjoyed it so much that I bought another one for the bedroom. Neater than sliced bread! Check it out!
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being in the country with DSL I am not sure my internet is fast enough to run Roku.

You tube videos run without problems so is my DSL good enough to stream for Roku?

How do I know if my DSL will be fast enough for it to stream for 2 televisions at once?
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JasonV
    Being in the country with DSL I am not sure my internet is fast enough to run Roku.

You tube videos run without problems so is my DSL good enough to stream for Roku?

How do I know if my DSL will be fast enough for it to stream for 2 televisions at once?

Roku download speed recommendations
    >here

Also, we live in a one story home which makes it fairly simple to drop wiring inside walls. I chose to run ethernet cables into wall sockets through the attic and down to direct connections to my router. The Roku 3 is wi-fi; but, I chose to hard-wire ours. My download speed is about 10Mbs (recently upgraded from 6Mbs from our DSL ISP.)
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only way I can get Internet or wi-fi is Comcast. AT&T is not allowed in my area, central link which has a lock in my area only has 10 mega bit service and cant promis that. Direct tv uses central ink, so I'm screwed. I don't know if once I get Comcast put in, I'll be able to cancel the tv service and keep the Internet. Who knows maybe I'll be satisfied with Comcast. One thing with them is you don't have to sign a new 2 year contract if you want to add a piece of equipment like direct.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got all the tv I can stand for free... It's called an antenna attached to the wall. I get all the local channels (about 12 or so). The only time I really watch it is when the Packers are playing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My download speed is 6.22Mbps and my upload speed is.85Mbps

Roku says they need 3.0Mbps for HD so I think I should be ok.

But if I have 2 televisions and a computer going I bet I have trouble.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Cable and satellite is a thing of the past. Old technology. Streaming from the internet is the "new kid on the block". I just dropped Direct and bought a Roku 3. Over 600 channels (most are free), no monthly charge except premium channels (re: Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). We enjoyed it so much that I bought another one for the bedroom. Neater than sliced bread! Check it out!

I bet you don't get the local channels on it for local news and alerts. Do you?
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pity anybody whom cable is the only means to get internet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw

As Zulu stated above, I use an external antenna mounted in the attic which receives 25-30 local channels in HD. Free of charge. I can switch from the antenna to Roku with the press of a couple of buttons on the remotes.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

So is the Roku like Apple TV?
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid

So is the Roku like Apple TV?

Yes; but doing my rearch on the internet, I found that the Roku 3 was a favorite over Apple TV. They're both about the same price.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My download speed is 6.22Mbps and my upload speed is.85Mbps

Roku says they need 3.0Mbps for HD so I think I should be ok.

But if I have 2 televisions and a computer going I bet I have trouble.

Using Wi-Fi, there will be a decrease in signal strength. That is the main reason I chose to hard-wire both of the Roku devices.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    JeffreyD103JeffreyD103 Member Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr

Howcome?

I have my pipe provided by Comcast and even though I hate their TV service more than I would hate a railroad spike driven into my knee, I have to admit that their internet service is trouble-free and the speed is only limited by how much money you want to spend each month.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a racket,We pay for Cable and still have to sit through tons of Commercials between Shows.
    I sat and counted Ten Commercials between Shows one night.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have direct TV and every time we have rain and thunder storms the signal goes off like right this minute, storming now for about an hour and no TV[xx(]
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by e3mrk
    I sat and counted Ten Commercials between Shows one night.

Then it worked. Don
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JeffreyD103
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr

Howcome?

I have my pipe provided by Comcast and even though I hate their TV service more than I would hate a railroad spike driven into my knee, I have to admit that their internet service is trouble-free and the speed is only limited by how much money you want to spend each month.

I think you answered your question.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw

As Zulu stated above, I use an external antenna mounted in the attic which receives 25-30 local channels in HD. Free of charge. I can switch from the antenna to Roku with the press of a couple of buttons on the remotes.

Antennae for local channels is not an option around here. There are only 3 and 1 of them is PBS. Not enough towers to cover the countryside so they are just fuzz with some audio.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude
    I have direct TV and every time we have rain and thunder storms the signal goes off like right this minute, storming now for about an hour and no TV[xx(]

You must have a tree blocking or it is not aimed right. Ours will go off it the snow is really heavy but it really had to be thick huge flakes with zero visibility.

Don't remember a downpour every shutting it down except for a second or two.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Onehandude

You must have a tree blocking or it is not aimed right. Ours will go off it the snow is really heavy but it really had to be thick huge flakes with zero visibility.

Don't remember a downpour every shutting it down except for a second or two.

Here too I've had the satellite loose the signal for a minute or two and if the part you missed was that important you could just re DVR it the next time it came on to watch those precious 2 minutes you lost. On the other side when I had cable the constant pix-elation was even more annoying. Of course you already know that the cable companies feeds come off a satellite as well.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it up.

The New World Order bankers have brainwashed you.
    You now think you need content to have a fufilling life.
    They produce the content. They sell you the content.
    They sold you the TV. And the ads you watch.

Walk away. Just walk away. You'll have shaking hands and feel empty for a couple of months. It'll pass.
    Go to the library. Get DVDs from them or Netflix. Get a Leaf digital entenna [free return if you can't get a signal].

Start reading. Have you tried the Dick Francis detective series? Dick was jockey to the Queen Mother in the '50sw, and went on to write iuntil he was 90 years old. How about the Jack Reacher series? Good reading. Before you know it, you'll wonder how to find more time in the day to do the things you've discovered that you really enjoy doing.