In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Electricians here? Need advice!

Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
I just bought a hot tub today. It has a 220v. 50 amp motor.

The spot I wanna put it is about 150' from my 220v. access (220v. 60 amp service is located in my shop).

Any idea as to how much it'll cost me to get power to my hot tub?

The line will have to be run underground at least 3' deep (code).

We can go through the wall of the shed and then down into the ground......run it to the spot and then mount a junction box (or breaker box), on the wall of the house. There is no trees or any other obstacles in the path I intend taking.

I live in a rural area of MN.

Comments

• BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Too bad you're not here, I have a friend who'd do it for a big bottle of Jack.

Evidently you don't know anybody. There's a lot you can do yourself like renting a ditch witch or backhoe and doing the prep yourself.

There's a lot left out, like where is the service relative to the tub, how far underground and is the shop attached to the house. and so on. I'm guessing your service goes into the shop?

What probably matters most is how far from your service and how far underground. If the service is nearer the spot of the tub it doesn't make sense to run out to your shop and back again, 220 V at 50 amps is some heavy wire for 150 feet.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    Call me this weekend, My dad had retired from a pool & Spa dealer
    He worked, hung out more like it, there for about 5 years before he died,
    We too are hooking up a new hottub, I get them from the place he used to work & sell a few to friends , Maybe I can give you some pointers or contact #s where you can get help
    Dan
  • Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will do Dan!

Blckhrn.......The pole that the power comes in from is about 1/2 way between the house and the shed. The house has 110v. 60 amp service only.

The shed has 220v. 60 amp service.

I figured that it'd be easier to run power from the shed.

As I said in my original post, the distance is about 150' with NO obstructions in the way. Basically dig a trench from point A to point B.

Should be fairly simple to do, just a matter of gettin' it done. [;)]
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Your house is like mine. The guy who owned it before me redid the service 50 or 60 amps, big deal.

Glad I know Al. The guy can do anything. He says he can even show me how to be a "wire monkey." I'm figuring he plans to do just that when I upgrade my service to 200 amps.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you need is some #4 aluminum or #6 copper, 3 wire cable, direct burial spec. You'll want to run some #12/2 (plus ground) uf cable with it for a recepticle 5 feet from the hot tub. Very do-able but just one question. Where are you gonna find a 50 amp circut breaker for your 60 amp service ? If I remember right, those old 60 amp panals didn't have much room for 50 amp devices. ?????
    A sparky ?? on Gun Broker ?? you got to be kidding... [:D] [8D]
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could realy use a service upgrade to 200amps[B)].Running the following should work for what you need.
    #6 with a 50amp breaker..actualy rated for a 60amp breaker.
    Better yet for the length your running,
    #4 with a 50amp breaker..actualy rated for a 100amp breaker.
    The bigger the wire the better for your run length.

Ohio
    Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4

mn_triumph-stipple-LG.gif
  • PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pointer
    You could realy use a service upgrade to 200amps[B)].Running the following should work for what you need.
    #6 with a 50amp breaker..actualy rated for a 60amp breaker.
    Better yet for the length your running,
    #4 with a 50amp breaker..actualy rated for a 100amp breaker.
    The bigger the wire the better for your run length.

Ohio

Bittersweat has a point,you may have to put a 100amp breaker box(may as well) or a newer 60 amp with more slots, in your shed to fit the breakers.

Ohio

• Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rent my place, so upgrading the electrical service is not an option.

I have fuse boxes, not circuit breakers.

The entire place is set up with 60 amp service. I can run my welder out at the shed with no problems.

Thanks for the advice so far. [8D][:)]
  • GATEKEEPERGATEKEEPER Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can ya drop a 50 amp sub box out of the bottom of your 60 amp service box ? See if there are two large allen screws in your existing service box that have no wires under them. If so this is where you can tap your service for a sub box...make sure your power meter is pulled before attempting because this tap comes before the main breaker off the line !!!
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    why not , i doubt your land lord would care if you put in a new box at your expense , of course you would have to leave it there if you leave, 200 amp boxes are fairly cheap at Menards or home depot ,,

of course if you are not willing to go that way , then you could tap into the hot side of the box (make sure power is turned off to do so ) in your shed , then run your wire over to a new box by the hot tube

remember to call diggers hot line before you trench

CMA disclaimer
    I am not an electrican , these are simply suggestions , that you should run pass a electrician in your area before doing any work
  • danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    Better check, I will bet the spa is set up for four wire not three,
    You can get the wire at southerlands, lowes, home depo, ect
    I can fax you a copy of schem. to show you how most are wired
    like I said give me a call late tonight
    Dan
  • drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    Gatekeeper is on the right track. If your welder has a plug and receptical just use the same plug for your hot tub as you won't be able to use them both at the same time anyway.

Most newer tubs use a neuteral so GFI breaker can be used, these run about 80.00-120.00

If you run 2" pvc pipe underground and pull 150' of SO #6-4 at aprox 3.00 a linear foot when you move you could pull the wire and take it with you verses running 4 seperate lines of THHN.

So with the trenching aside your looking at between 6 and 700.00 in parts.

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN ONE PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED PIECE, BUT, TO SKID ACROSS THE LINE BROADSIDE, THROUGHLY USED UP, WORN OUT, LEAKING OIL, SHOUTING GERONIMO!!"
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At that distance you really need to use #4 wire to carry 50 amps. The voltage drop using #6 wire will cause problems with the motor. If it has a thermal cutout on it, it will probably shut down occasionally. When the voltage drops the amperage goes up, amps= heat.

F&AM, NRA Life (25 yrs)
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."
    Edmund Burke (1729-97)