In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30,000 chickens thrown into a wood chipper

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited January 2008 in General Discussion
Two California poultry farmers who fed some 30,000 live chickens into wood chippers will not face criminal charges because they had permission from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, prosecutors said on Friday.
But a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States called the farmers "callous and barbaric" and disagreed with the decision not to prosecute them.

The farmers needed to destroy the chickens because they were "spent" -- or no longer able to produce eggs -- and could not make chicken soup out of them because the farms were under quarantine for the poultry virus Exotic Newcastle Disease, District Attorney's spokeswoman Gayle Stewart said.

Stewart said the men, who run a poultry farm near San Diego, asked a senior veterinarian with the Agriculture Department if they could employ the wood chippers and were given permission.

"Once they had permission we decided that they did not have any criminal intent," Stewart said.

Brothers Arie and Will Wilgenburg, who run Escondido-based Ward Poultry Farm, could not be reached for comment on Friday. Earlier, they told the San Diego Union Tribune newspaper that they were doing "what we thought we had to do" based on expert advice and stopped as soon as they learned otherwise.

Wayne Pacelle, a spokesman for the Humane Society, said that explanation was unacceptable.

"The act of feeding live chickens into a wood chipper is an extraordinarily callous and barbaric act and I can't imagine any person with a whit of common sense would use a wood chipper as a killing tool," he said. "No person with any experience in killing animals would sanction the use of this technique."

Pacelle said the District Attorney's decision not to prosecute the brothers rested on the "faulty assumption" that using wood chippers to kill chickens was an accepted practice.

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so how do you kill thousands of spent chickens without hurting their feelings?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did anybody bother to ask what was the approved humane method to kill 30,000 chickens then ? i need to know ....
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this politically correct society no matter what you do it would be wrong
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have set up shop with a 22 and gone to town.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Couldn't they have just piped in recordings of Hillary's and Obama's campaign speeches? It would have been "political" if not correct. And there would have been no blood shed, except for those clever birds who slit their own little chicken wrists rather than endure the slow death of democrats babbling.[V][:p][xx(]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    let them go downtown la, the baggy pants would have thought it was another government giveaway[:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may sound sick, But something tells me this is not the first time this has happened (in some sort of experiment).
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds barbaric, but is it?
    I never have used a wood chipper. How long would it take a chicken to die in a wood chipper?
    If it killed the bird in a second or two, what is the problem?
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I can see a day when we will no longer be able to go fishing due to the undue pain the fish feels when he is extracted from his natural environment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    This may sound sick, But something tells me this is not the first time this has happened (in some sort of experiment).
    scientist 1: We need to do some more experiments with chickens.
    scientist 2: more experiments? (cackles with glee)
    scientist 1: 30,000 chickens.
    scientist 2: and a wood chipper!
    scientist 1: mwuahahahaha!!!
    scientist 2: ...but where do we get the funding?
    scientist 1: ask the government, you ninny! no problem.
    scientists 1&2: mwuahahahaha!!!!!!
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    It sounds barbaric, but is it?

Bet the end result is faster than a jet engine[:D]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably got the idea from the movie FARGO.......I wonder if they feed them into the chipper feet first[;)]
  • Options
    Civil RightsCivil Rights Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my guess is a wood chipper kills a chicken in a split second. i see nothing barbaric about it.
    i heard a report from somewhere in california where a landscaper acidentaly got sucked into a wood chipper and he was killed instantly and chopped to pieces. those things can decimate 100lb solid pieces of hard wood, they can surely kill chickens in the blink of an eye.
    the humane society didnt say what is an appropriate or "compassionate" way to kill a chicken. were the farmers supposed to anastetize 30,000 chickens and then give them secondary shots to kill them ?
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bobski said "so how do you kill thousands of spent chickens without hurting their feelings?"

[:D][:D][:D]Overdose their water with downers and play Peter Paul and Mary music as they fall into eternal sleep[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Civil Rights
    my guess is a wood chipper kills a chicken in a split second. i see nothing barbaric about it.
    i heard a report from somewhere in california where a landscaper acidentaly got sucked into a wood chipper and he was killed instantly and chopped to pieces.

Yeh, A worker fell into a chipper here in So Cal a few weeks ago. It ground him up and spit him out just like that.

The 30,000 chickens could be adapted to fit in a trap machine. They would make great targets.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hdwrench
    did anybody bother to ask what was the approved humane method to kill 30,000 chickens then ? i need to know ....

Lethal injection, at $4.50 per bird=$135,000 [:0]
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Damn!We use a huge diesel powered chipper at work,we,ve lost gloves and helmets through it,anyone use these be careful!!
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Think about it,after the first few dozen birds blood would start oozing out of the cowling,after hundreds their would be blood dripping from every seam.Yeah a quick kill but sumthin jest aint right about it.Maybe because Saddams sons used chippers to kill human beings,feet first for ones they hated, head first for ones they just did,nt like.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    Clean up, Aisle four!
    [img][/img]mopping.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do feather pillows use duck feathers? they could have made a bunch of chicken feather pillows. but instead they got a big, gooey, nasty mess didn't they!
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    scientist 1: We need to do some more experiments with chickens.
    scientist 2: more experiments? (cackles with glee)
    scientist 1: 30,000 chickens.
    scientist 2: and a wood chipper!
    scientist 1: mwuahahahaha!!!
    scientist 2: ...but where do we get the funding?
    scientist 1: ask the government, you ninny! no problem.
    scientists 1&2: mwuahahahaha!!!!!!

What we really need is a nuclear bomb to go with 30,000 chickens. SOmething big. Maybe a 10 megaton bomb.

Wait a minute. What do people think happens at the chicken packing plant. They hang the chickens upside down on a conveyor. At a precise moment a jolt of electricity passes through the chicken and the next is stretched in pain. At the next precise moment the neck meets the circular saw. Should the chicken survive the saw blade, there is a Mexican in a yellow rain suit waiting with a knife.

What is the difference with this human system and say...a wood chipper?
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably ran a large water supply to the chipper too for clean out.
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have operated the large whole tree chippers.

I can't think of a faster way of killing chickens or anything else that running them through the chipper.

Guys picked up a road kill deer just to see what would happen when I run it through the chipper. Didn't take more than 2 seconds Gone!
  • Options
    moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you say chicken soup?

Moose
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moose56
    Can you say chicken soup?
    Moose

quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    The farmers needed to destroy the chickens because they were "spent" -- or no longer able to produce eggs -- and could not make chicken soup out of them because the farms were under quarantine for the poultry virus Exotic Newcastle Disease, District Attorney's spokeswoman Gayle Stewart said.
    I'm thinking I wouldnt want to eat their eggs if they were under quarantine for the poultry virus either [xx(]
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see the headlines now-- "The Great Kalifornia Chicken Chop!!"