In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What should I do?

diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in General Discussion
I am looking to get a 6.8mm AR variant. Should I buy the parts and build one, or should I just drop the cash and go with the Barrett? My only problem with building one is finding good parts. I am pretty confident the Barrett uses quality materials, but its pretty pricey.

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a guy win my auction back on the Jan 5th. He asked if I could wait til the 18th for him to get paid. Said he would send payment on the 18th. The 18th has come and gone. He sent an email about 5 days ago saying the ffl and the mo were in the mail. But nothing has arrived.

I sent email last night and I haven't heard back. Granted it's only been 12 hours but he is 7 days past when he said he would mail payment.

Should I await his email?

File NON pay bidder on him?

Or Should I wait until todays mail run and make sure nothing shows up?

He bought some ammo from me and he was johnny on the spot with payment. Sent payment next day delivery usps.

I don't want hard feelings, but I am trying to wrap up my auctions and move on.

Any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    Way back in August (August 6th to be exact) I placed an order with Makarov.com for a few springs, a threaded 380 barrel and a barrel press.
    I received part of the order on August 12th (minus the barrel, and barrel press). My credit card was only charged for the sent items.
    I waited 2 days, and the emailed Karl (the owner) and asked him about the order. He said the barrels were "tied up in customs with Federal Arms".
    I waited a full month (September 12th), but never received the parts or any updates from Karl or his staff on the status of my order. I sent him an email asking him to cancel my order.
    September 15th I received an email back from him stating he would cancel my order.
    September 24th I receive the barrel and barrel press. My credit card statement says I was charged on the September 23rd (9 days, after I canceled the order).
    This put me in an awkward situation since I was skating thin, until my next paycheck.
    I wrote Karl back that day explaining the situation, and asking him to please credit my account.
    His response was to "send back the items and then he would issue the funds back".
    I explained that since he withdrew the funds I didn't have enough money to eat, let alone ship his items back.
    Over the past couple of days (25th, 26th) I made several request to credit my account before I was charged overdraft fees on some incoming items.
    He never responded.
    Long story short, I now have 60 dollars in overdraft fees as a result of his poor order management.
    Here is the correspondence...

To: "thesupermonkey@hotmail.com"
    Subject: Your makarovpistol.com order has been received Date:
    Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:46:14 -0400
    Your order has been received and submitted to our sales
    department.
    For questions regarding your makarovpistol.com order, please
    contact
    karl@makarov.com or 1-888-625-3925
    Please note that Express orders are USPS Priority Mail, NOT
    Express (Overnight) Mail.
    - Order #********* 8/6/02
    9:46:10 AM EST
    - BILLING INFO SHIPPING INFO
    Adam Davis Adam Davis
    thesupermonkey@hotmail.com
    Q Item # Description Unit $
    1 63BarrelPres PA-63 Barrel Press 34.00
    1 63springset PA63 Spring Set 9.00
    1 63th380 PA63 Threaded 380 65.00
    1 thrdprotecto PA-63 Thread Protector 5.00
    Subtotal 113.00
    Express Shipping 5.00
    Paid by Visa #****-XXXX-XXXX-**** Total
    $118.00

To: karl@makarov.com
    Subject: Order #*********
    Date sent: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:47:18 +0000
    I placed an order for the following parts on Aug 6th.
    I did receive the spring set, but I did not receive the other
    parts. Is there a problem with the order? Please email or call me
    if there is anything I can do. Thanks, Adam Davis

Reply-To: karl@makarovpistol.com
    To: "Shadow Dragon"
    Subject: Re: Order #*********
    Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:09:23 -0700
    Sorry for the Delay, we are still waiting on the Treaded barrels from
    FAC.
    With any luck they should be here this week.

To: info@makarov.com
    Date sent: Wed, 13 Sep 2002 13:57:20 +0000
    I would like to cancel any outstanding items on the above order.
    Adam Davis

Reply-To: info@makarov.com
    Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:09:18 -0700
    Hi Adam,
    We'll do as you requested. Note that we JUST got the barrels and presses
    in on Friday. Let me know if you're interested.
    Sorry for the long delay, but they were tied up in customs with Federal
    Arms.
    -Karl

To: info@makarov.com
    Date sent: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:57:20 +0000
    Hi Karl,
    I just received a barrel and barrel press(Pa63) from a previous order I
    had canceled on the 15th. It's very important my card NOT be charged for
    these items or if it has I need the amount to be credited back into my
    account as soon as possible. I will ship the items back to you on
    Friday (that's my off day). Thanks, Adam Davis

Reply-To: info@makarov.com
    Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:36:51 -0700
    Sorry for the confusion, your request to cancel the order came in after it had
    been processed. Return the Items and I will give you full credit for them.

Wed, 25 Sep 2002
    (Don't have a copy of the correspondence, it was a nicer version of the below)

Thu, 26 Sep 2002
    PLEASE RESPOND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
    Karl,
    Had this been a simple, items crossed in the mail I would have sent you back your items before requesting my funds back. However, nearly TWO FULL WEEKS after I had requested my order to be canceled, I was charged and the items were sent. This has placed me in a real bind. As of today I've had 3 overdraft fees, all of them, on items less than 10 dollars. That's over 60 dollars in overdraft fees. The error was on YOUR side so please do the right thing and credit my account asap!
    Thanks,
    Adam

Fri, 27 Sep 2002
    Karl,
    I'm very disappointed with your service. I had bought from you before and was very pleased, but apparently the quality of your staff and customer service has declined greatly since then.
    I placed my order on August 6th.
    I received part of my order on August 12th with no explanation for the missing parts.
    On August 14th after sending you an email about the missing parts you said the parts may or may not be in, within a week.
    I waited a full month (with no updates from you or your staff), before canceling my order.
    You wrote back saying you would cancel my order on September 15th.
    My check card was charged on the September 23rd and I received the items the 25th.
    The item was shipped 9 days after you had confirmed my cancellation. This indicates a break down in communication on your end. The withdraw of those funds from my account cost me over 60 dollars in overdraft fees. I see that debt as YOUR obligation, though I have no way of making you pay. Restore my good faith in your company and pay for the debts you have caused me to incur through your poor management. I will be sending your items back today, or early Saturday. At the very minimum I expect full reimbursement for the items and the s/h required to send it back to you. Otherwise I will be forced to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
    Sincerely,
    Adam Davis

Edited by - thesupermonkey on 09/27/2002 11:16:03
    edited November -1
    On Jan. 31st I bought a S&W sw40ve Sigma for $380. I found out I don't like the trigger pull at all, it's really heavy. So I was gonna sell it to a fellow at work for $350, and put this down on a XD40. I found a dealer 10 miles from my house (I live in bum Heck western Iowa) that wiil sell me a XD40 (all black) nib for $425. Or a XD40 V10 (ported barrell) for $470 nib ( I might have this confused with the 1/2 black, 1/2 stainless. I'm so confused.). Now the guy at work wants to trade me a Stoegor Condor O/U 12 gauge for the S&W. Do I take the shotgun instead of cash? Which XD to buy? I know I want a 40 S&W cal. Is the ported any better? As for muzzle jump at all? Is the ported louder?

I don't want to make another mistake like I did with the sw40ve Sigma
    edited November -1
    Buy a new Springfield M1A Socom or a car for my 16 yr old?
    edited November -1
    I have two Remington 700 Senderos in .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. I was pondering whether I sould try to trade one in on an AR-15, or just keep it. The AR would go nicely with my current collection of mostly military surplus arms, yet would still be fun and cheaper to shoot than the .300. However, the Remingtons were a gift from my father-in-law. What should I do?

"To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."Mark_II@gunbroker.zzn.com
    edited November -1
    I'm selling some antique handguns on the auction side, and someone emailed me asking if they can stop by and take a look at my guns. I would like to be accomodating in that sense, but I also don't like the idea of someone coming to my house. It makes me think that a person could be casing the place or worse. Would anyone here let some stranger in their house to look at their merchandise?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Depends on which model Stoger Condor it is,, if it is the supreme deluxe then it is a good trade.. The supreme deluxe has barrel selection, ejector/extractor selection, and better wood than the plain condor.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Unless you really want the shotgun, I'd take the cash.

Re porting: Bigger flash, louder perceived muzzle blast, and much milder recoil.

I don't think a .40 S&W needs porting, unless being used in rapid fire competition. In a practical sense - street combat - there is no need for it.

So - take cash, don't port...if it were mine.

Also, I don't care for your choice of firearm. Just call me ol' "Blue Steel and Walnut".

Doug
    edited November -1
    Not sure which model of condor it is. He said it was his fathers and it's only been shot a few times. I am thinking I might be able to get more than $350 for the shotgun. I don't plan on keeping it if I do take it.

Gonna sign up for a ccw class in Iowa here and wanted a pistol I could carry. I have a S/A .45colt and a Ruger Redhawk in .454 Causull and an encore in 45/70 govt. I'm just gona tell the wife I HAD to buy it because other guns not suitable carry's.[:D][:D]
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Unless you really want the shotgun, I'd take the cash.

Re porting: Bigger flash, louder perceived muzzle blast, and much milder recoil.

I don't think a .40 S&W needs porting, unless being used in rapid fire competition. In a practical sense - street combat - there is no need for it.

So - take cash, don't port...if it were mine.

Also, I don't care for your choice of firearm. Just call me ol' "Blue Steel and Walnut".

Doug

illegal in i.d.p.a., and would put you in the open division in ipsc, along with the guys using red dot sights, illegal in other divisions as well, only thing ports are good for is blinding you, and clogging up the front night sight if you have them
  • breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to know the value of the shotgun. Go to the auction side and "smart search" the shot gun under completed auctions. That will give you a good idea what the shotgun is really worth and what you might get for it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breddyrrt
    If you want to know the value of the shotgun. Go to the auction side and "smart search" the shot gun under completed auctions. That will give you a good idea what the shotgun is really worth and what you might get for it.

Thanks. It looks like it's possably worth $250 to $400 depending on which one it is.
    All I would have to do is throw it on the local sportsman auction and could hopefully get $500-$600. Lot of idiots at those over by Des Moines.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    ...only thing ports are good for is blinding you, and clogging up the front night sight if you have them+1

I was present for a blind test between identical .40 S&W Glock pistols, except one was ported. When I say a blind test I mean this literally - the test subjects were unable to see which pistol was placed in their hand before firing into a berm.

Not one could reliably tell which pistol they were firing based upon perceived recoil/muzzle climb.

It's true that on a ported pistol a set of night sights becomes useless after the first couple of rounds.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    On Jan. 31st I bought a S&W sw40ve Sigma for $380.

just what in the hell were you thinking???

take the cash. if you take the trade with the intention of flipping it, murphys law will without a doubt make it impossible for you to sell it. then your up the creek without a paddle and the boats leaking.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    On Jan. 31st I bought a S&W sw40ve Sigma for $380.

just what in the hell were you thinking???

take the cash. if you take the trade with the intention of flipping it, murphys law will without a doubt make it impossible for you to sell it. then your up the creek without a paddle and the boats leaking.

The guy south of me said he sells them for $289. I bought at Bass pro shops. Impulse buy. I wanted it NOW! I'm an idiot. Although it was a package deal with a flash light (ooohhhh) and 2 hi cap mags.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I agree... Take the CASH $$ and buy what U should have bought from the "*-GO"...[;)]
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Harlan is not Bum Heck Iowa.

Now Portsmouth.....

Hiway 44 Blues!

Got Guns?
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    well i suppose everybody is allowed to make their own mistakes, but a sigma? i mean thats just out of control!