In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thank you to the members who...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
encouraged me to get a thorough check up with my heart problems. I'm a little bit irritated with the VA right now.

I had 4 appointments at the VA today and get this, a doctor found heart problems in my medical records that had been missed by other doctors. He almost admitted me to the hospital today. He said to avoid any type of exertion until I have a complete cardiac workup. The worst part about all of this is that he found problems going back over a year ago. I have been in to the VA hospital numerous times about these problems and my doc kept writing it off as anxiety, even with me insisting that this was not the case. Today I actually got pretty upset with her and told that I did not agree with her assessment and that I thought this might be neurological in origin, and that I just wanted to find out what was causing these problems. She insisted again that it was only anxiety and referred me up to mental health. Well my mental health doc worked in cardiology back in India and when he reviewed my records, he said he found obvious, blatant cardiovascular problems. He was astounded that these had been missed by other docs. He called a cardiologist who said to put me in for a two week consult (which means I'll see the cardiologist within two weeks). He is also going to be talking to my primary care doc tomorrow. The neurology dept found nerve damage in both of my arms today as well. I may have to have surgery on both elbows to try to correct this problem. I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but 7-8 years ago when I went through the Persian Gulf Review Registry, my doc said that she gives most of us vets that were having the problems I was having about 10 years to live. Well, I'm 8 years into that and it seems like my health is headed south...and fast. What bothers me the most is the incompetent care from the VA and the fact that they seem to be sweeping all of this stuff under the rug, so to speak...just like when they lost all of my medical records after going through those two years of testing and prodding with the Persian Gulf Review. Back then my doc put me in for an upgrade in disability and they conveniently lost ALL of my medical records and told me I had to start the process over...which I refused to do. This was before they computerized their records, so there is no way to locate the missing records.

Well anyway, I did not mean to talk your ear off. I'm just frustrated the VA. I've got work to do, so there is no way for me to avoid physical labor while waiting to see the cardiologist. I'll just have to pray that nothing goes wrong.

Thanks for letting me vent.[^]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated

Comments

• Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Check your email, Eric.
    Andrea

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Wow, thank goodness for the Doc from India.

I have heard so many bad things about the VA and the way they treat our vets. This place really needs a complete overhaul.

To the government, its business as usual, trying to cover up Gulf War Syndrome, just like Agent Orange and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Good luck, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
    And keep fighting the jerks at the VA!!!!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Eric,
    Enjoy each day as no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. Keep busy and savor a glass of wine and the smell of freshly cut grass.
    Love your kids often and the kids of strangers too.
    It's a cliche of life but one that is true. It's not the moments of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.
    We're all terminal in the end.
    God bless.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Eric--thanks for getting that checkup and not letting the docs push you off.

I truly understand your frustration about the docs missing info. Just hang in there.

Churchill, Winston: "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    ecc: glad you went to get checked up. it was the smart thing to do. hope everythging turns out for the better

if you dont mind, i'd like to know more about your diagnosis. feel free to e-mail me privatley if thats in your best interest.

btw: i'm most interested in the cardiology workup. specifically the ecg rythms found and their origin in nature. the reason for my request is that, if its a fairly frequent problem, and i have a pt that presents with your sysptoms, i will be a whole lot more likely not to overlook it. if you dont feel comfortable sharing private medical information with what amounts to a perfect stranger, thats understandable. let me know.......

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif