In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why I Am Not a Paramedic Any More

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
I worked as a paramedic at a small, country Georgia hospital for 14 years. The stress got to me and I had to bail out.

To begin with, I saw so many cases in which people who ought to have died, were kept alive by machines for days, weeks, and even months. See the Joan River thread. Nine times out of ten the family lacked the guts to pull the plug. I was horrified to see these pathetic, helpless patients kept needlessly alive, when there was no hope of resuscitation.

The other thing that stressed me out so much was seeing children die.
After several years on the job, it didn't bother me to see a grown adult die. I would work a car wreck, in which a 55 year old guy wrapped his car around an oak tree at midnight, maybe he had had a few drinks, and he was Dead Right There.
I figured, he had lived a life. He had the chance to go to college, or not go. He had the choice to join, or not join the military. He had the choice to have a family, or not have.
He had lived, for better or worse, 55 years. He died so quickly, he didn't know what hit him.
Also, this meant that he would not have a stroke, and waste away for 4 years in the nursing home, unable to walk or speak. He would not contract cancer, and waste away, as I saw so many patients do, waste away to where he was 125 pounds, helpless, and wearing a diaper for the last month, before he finally died.

After several years on the job, working a wreck where a guy died like that didn't bother me. Maybe that was proof that I had gone off the deep end.

But, I could never get used to seeing children die.
I worked a call in which, a little 8 year old black boy had been hit by a car. His mom and aunt worked in a beauty salon. They had taken him into town, to go to work one morning at 7 am. They watched as the little kid walked from the beauty salon, across the road to the school bus stop. And they saw the pickup hit him at 45 mph.

When we got there, the kid was dead. The mother and aunt were out in the road, weeping and shreiking, and holding onto the boy.
We pushed them away, and began working the call. My partner and I knew the kid was dead, right away. He had about 14 broken bones. But of course we did all we could. We hooked him up to the heart monitor, we gave several cardiac drugs, started oxygen etc.

The deputies arrived right after we did and I told the deputy to get that mother away from us so we could work. He pulled her to the side and she was shrieking and moaning.

We took the poor kid to the hospital; they "worked the code" for only about 10 minutes and called it off. That little boy was dead the minute the truck hit him.

I remember the crib death calls. I remember a call at an apartment building about 8 am one morning. A little 6 month old baby was dead in the crib. The baby was all blue and starting to get stiff, rigor mortis. There was nothing we could do. We pronounced the baby dead.
The poor mother was still shrieking and crying. At that point, we had to stand by and wait for the coroner to arrive.

It took 45 minutes for the coroner to get there. I couldn't stand hearing the poor mother wailing and crying, I told my partner, to stand by with the little baby, and I walked around to the back side of the apartment building, trying to get away from the wailing noise the mother was making.

It didn't work, and I stood out there, on that still Georgia morning, and listened to the mother's cries, from the back side of the apartment building.

I never got used to seeing a child die. After 11 years on the job the stress built up on me. I developed insomnia and would go a couple of days without sleeping.
Have you ever had insomnia? It is a real bad deal, take it from me.
The only way I could get any sleep was to self medicate with booze.

I had to bail out of the medical field.

Comments

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Medical staff with all their gadgets and machinery are usually hailed as heroes...
    When someone, who by any standard, ought NOT to survive... Does so and survives.

But the heroes in my mind... Are the Emergency Techs... The ones on the front lines.
    Usually with a minimum of equipment... Work actual miracles solely on their personal experience and knowledge.
    Often with their bare hands...

It takes a special person to do that kind of job... Be an EMT.

Allen... My hat's off to you for being that person as long as you possibly could.
    The fact that you did so 14 or more years... Is 14 years more than I could have.

I thank you for your work with those who needed it.
    And IMO... You're a better person for it.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen
    I have always said people in your position or similar are special , to take the job of doing your best to save any one is a great deed , I am not a true religious person , But I do think there should be a express line for the after life for such deeds ,
    I have know several in the line of work your in including undertaker's all have the same deep regret for kids , thank you for all you did , and I am sure there is countless people still with us for what you did , it has to be a bad feeling to loose some fights but we are just mortal. please think of all the lives and families you made happy ,
    may you enjoy what ever new endeavor you take on ,
    when younger I was close to becoming a volunteer in the small town I live by , but after some deep thought like you faced I did not do it
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, from the time I got out of high school till I moved to fla. I was a volunteer fireman / emt in our little town of Otego NY. I too saw alot of things that I try daily to forget but are etched in my mind forever. I went on alot of calls as most people worked days and left our little village and with me working nights and sleeping days when the siren went off I would jump in my bunker suit and be off to the fire house. There was 4 of us usually in town during the week to go on calls so I made alot. In the early morning you would get the calls from an elderly person that their spouse would not wake up. Those I could live with as you said, they had lived there life and went in there sleep and it didn't bother me to bad. The car accident calls were also bad. I saw a girl that I had just graduated with a week before die on my streatcher and there was nothing I could do about it. I don't regret being an EMT for 25 years as I have saved many more than I lost but the memories still to this day bother me when I'm tired. I can relate to everything you went thru and understand your having to leave the medical field. All I can say is Thank you for doing and caring for as long as you did.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes, the right people survive.

I ought to know: I suffered a cardiac arrest and spent nine days in a mechanical ventilator.

Paramedics are my heroes indeed.

[^]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some skilled people in a cardiac ICU pulled me back from the razors edge 3 years ago and I went home with no impairment....still seems surreal like I was watching it from the outside...really not afraid..i owe them big time...thanks for years of work I could not do, now others can carry that load
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    My brother is a city firefighter/EMT, and my sister is an NP who did stints in ER and cardio. We have discussions about this subject matter all the time. I have immense respect for anyone that will go elbow-deep in a stranger's * fluids in hopes to save them, or at least help them die with dignity. I know how stressful it is on them. One that sticks in my mind was an 18m/o Shaken Baby Syndrome my brother was first on the scene. He had to be a witness at the trial. She is now out of jail and working at Sam's Club. He sees her out and about in the community knowing she brutally murdered a toddler.

Godspeed, man. You fought the good fight.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I worked as a paramedic at a small, country Georgia hospital for 14 years. The stress got to me and I had to bail out.

I had to bail out of the medical field.

With some similar experiences and background, I'm completely sympathetic to what you write. Not wanting to distract from what you wrote I'll keep my story out of this thread. Except to say that for me the end of my service also came from the children, and finally, one particular child.

Writing or talking about it is a good thing. Sometimes it's better to let the steam out of a pressure cooker than to just keep watching the gauge climb higher, thinking it can all be held back by shear strength.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know exactly how you feel about the "children"..saw it in person, children being killed, and mothers crying....the very worst experience I ever had....[:(][V]
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jorge
    Sometimes, the right people survive.

I ought to know: I suffered a cardiac arrest and spent nine days in a mechanical ventilator.

Paramedics are my heroes indeed.

[^]

AMEN!!
    I've many a time had to perform chest CPR with another Corpsman performing lung resuscitation...all the while waiting for dustoff to come in.

Sadly, only about three pct. made it to the Evac okay, but I'm good to go with that.

What a glorious three percent!! Best.
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, my wife is an RN (30 years) at a very small, rural hospital. She usually staffs the ER and loves helping people. Sometimes when she comes home she needs someone to vent to, or rage at, or simply be held while she sobs. That's my job in this family.
    I sincerely hope that you have someone to do that for you too.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was not cut out for work like you had as a paramedic, Allen. I can appreciate the sort of attention that you gave the kid after he was killed by the car, although you knew it would do no good. That was beneficial to the grieving parties to witness it.
    What's next?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What was that Nicolas Cage movie where he's an ambulance driver?
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Larry had to stop for other reasons. He wasn't "fine" with seeing the loss of life, but the thing that got to him was the system abusers that use 911 as their personal doctor service. He had to walk through an entire family of people sitting around watching TV to get to an elderly woman that was CLEARLY not being tended to by anyone there. The multiple times they were shot at in Birmingham....and the attempted break ins by thugs trying to steal drugs from the Ambulance. Then you have the people that called 911 just because they didn't want to drive themselves over to the doctor. A few years of that and he was done. His back will never be 100% either. Carrying "Maw Maw" down several flights of stairs really messed him up over time. You never know when it will happen....bending over to take clothes out of the dryer might even be the thing that makes his back go out.

I don't see how ANYONE does that job after seeing what Larry dealt with.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, I was also an EMT. I could not handle seeing kids die on a daily basis. I met my wife while working for safe care ambulance service in Moorestown. We both worked for the company part time at nights for extra money. We did all the peds runs from the jersey shore to Children's hospital in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. I have seen so many people die in my arms when I was a volunteer with the ambulance and fire station. I still see some of their faces. I eventually stopped being a volunteer after I saw a child my son's age get decapitated on his bicycle by a ups truck. It takes someone with nerves of steel to do this job and I was not one of them.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was an EMT for 3 years in Pensacola while stationed there. My plate was pretty full back then. Active duty Navy, full time college student, and 20-30 hrs a week as an EMT.

There are a few memories of bad times, I'm glad I got out, but I'm glad I did it.

Teaching CPR/First aid to the new classes of girls at the local dental tech college and nursing school was an unforgettable perk. I actually volunteered for that part.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    What was that Nicolas Cage movie where he's an ambulance driver?

Bringing out the dead was the movie.

The term ambulance driver is demeaning to the profession, FYI.