In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My Sons First Shoot

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
I had the last two weeks off and took my son out shooting clays for his first time with his youth 12ga. my brother gave him for his 13th birthday. He loves it!!!
I've had him out 5 times so far the last 2 weeks and his first shot was perfect. The first time out he was shooting about 40% but it was just a safety lesson first, accuracy later. It was so windy that day the clays were actually flying like a frisbee. I missed a few too. Then with some good coaching from dad/me he's up to 70-75% already. He will be ready for goose hunting soon.
Here's a pic of his first shoot. I'm so proud of him.[:D][:)][8D]
Oh to his left is my side by side early 1900s double barrel.

PICT0021-1.jpg

Comments

• spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Cool. Why isn't he leaning forward into his shot, though?
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D] Nice going dad.

PJ
  • dogmandogman Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great job, dad!
    Makes me wish I still lived in the sticks... my 11 yr old has to spend time with his uncle[:(!] in order to go shooting.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GREAT to see kids into shooting.

Have to agree with spanielsells, or did he just fire a round?

Nice pic.....BIG.....but nice.
    An "edit" at photobucket to 75% of original would fit better.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son is 9 and I plan on teaching him to hit clay birds soon. Right now he uses his 20 ga to hit cans. I'm always stressing that he keeps the gun pointed at the ground when he's not pointing at the target, so I'm waiting till he's older before I let him loose on the trap range.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Try to capture him on video - he'll thank you for it
    when he takes his kids out! Photo/video archiving is
    the way to go![:D]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    Cool. Why isn't he leaning forward into his shot, though?

With all the safety info I was feeding him then trying to tell him how to shoot he started getting that "13" attitude so I just let him choose his own form the first time. Plus he told me I just step back when I shoot also he was a little gun shy when he found out how much recoil a single shot 12ga has.
    But after the 2nd or 3rd time out he's doing things just right and of course accuracy has improved greatly. The 5th time out he hit his first 5 shots!! and I hit my.............first 4[:0]

Zipperzap ya know I completly forgot about my video camera. I've had it for years and don't think about it much. Thanks
  • Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another reason America's military has such good shooters, Whats more
    deadly than a country boy and a rifle? Way to go dad.[:)]
  • rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy who shots clays damn near sitting hit every one to, was a freak of nature.