In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Treat Snob -

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
Apparently I've turned my dog into a Treat Snob.

He is getting very selective about what treats, he deems worthy to accept.

A type of rawhide chew he thought was Awesome a week or two ago, he will turn his nose up, not accept and/or spit out.

Bought some real high end dog bisquits from a local farm store for him. One in particular because it is sized and shaped (like a pointed figure eight, with half another 8 on top,) that is perfect to go in his Kong.

I buy his smoked Pigs ears there also. Something he will never turn down. I use them in the AM when he goes right into his crate and sits down without being told, when I have to leave. (Or as a special treat.)

I've got several variety of what used to be his favorite chews, that he just turns his nose up and/or spits out, now in the dog cupboard.

Just now pulled a huge dog busquit out, (6" long.) as a special treat, cause he's been really good this AM. Hell, it smells good enough for Me to eat.

Nope - not havin' it. Spit it out. Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh [B)][:(][:0][xx(][:(!]

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rebel has a couple of rubber dog bones that have bumps all over them that helps clean his teeth that he loves to chew on. As for treats go, I make my own it's like baking cookies, but a lot healthier than store-bought. And a lot better tasting. Or just give him raw vegetables for treats. He loves both of them.

I'm thinking about making my own dog food for him too. He's so good he deserves it, he does everything I tell him to do. Including picking up his own toys, and if I feed them leftovers I'll put it on a paper plate, after he's finished eating whatever I gave him he'll take the plate and put it in the garbage can [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks remingtonoaks, I'm working on him and with him. I've had him about two months now. (he was apprx. 9 mo. old when I adopted him.)

We're making progress, but we are not at that level yet.
    Having to start out with a new name (did not know, nor did the rescue folks know what his last one was) did not help.

He is super smart, and is picking stuff up, but we are a work in progress. I hope we are at that level, sometime in the future.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    Rebel has a couple of rubber dog bones that have bumps all over them that helps clean his teeth that he loves to chew on. As for treats go, I make my own it's like baking cookies, but a lot healthier than store-bought. And a lot better tasting. Or just give him raw vegetables for treats. He loves both of them.

I'm thinking about making my own dog food for him too. He's so good he deserves it, he does everything I tell him to do. Including picking up his own toys, and if I feed them leftovers I'll put it on a paper plate, after he's finished eating whatever I gave him he'll take the plate and put it in the garbage can [^]

I'm glad you edited that "fat fingered" post. [:D].

I was trying to make sense of the first part, going WTH?? [:p][}:)]

Makes sense now. [^]

Share some recipes of your dog treats, if you will. Enquiring minds (and me,) want to know.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    My dogs will eat pretty much anything that is presented as a treat so long as it comes from my wife, kids or me. Neither one will touch anything a stranger will try to give them, they'll leave it lay on the ground until one of us picks it up and hands it to them. I like it that way.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1

Makes sense now.

I figured you would appreciate that. The perils of using your smart phone in voice texting mode[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Makes sense now.

I figured you would appreciate that. The perils of using your smart phone in voice texting mode[:D]

I totally appreciate where your coming from. I have to edit almost every one of my posts.

Either miss-spellings due to tiny keyboard, or better yet, my spell check creating new and interesting words out of what I have actually typed.

If I can ever get Internet out here "in the sticks," without it being Uber expensive, I'd love to be able to use my tablet.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your training is coming along nicely!
    [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Sounds like your training is coming along nicely!
    [;)]

Yeah, I know. LOL.

He is a goofy nut well deserving of my best efforts.

We've been chasing each other around the house now. (His favorite game.)

Think Pink Panther and Cato.

Hide, and ambush. Its too funny.

Seems to be the only time I don't move like an old Man any more.

Then We go through the "I want in, I want out," mode.

He has to be right by me, or he is not happy. God forbid he is in the front yard, and happens to spot me on the back deck.

Both screen doors (front door, and back door,) have been hammered due to this.

He is worth it though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks remingtonoaks, I'm working on him and with him. I've had him about two months now. (he was apprx. 9 mo. old when I adopted him.)

We're making progress, but we are not at that level yet.
    Having to start out with a new name (did not know, nor did the rescue folks know what his last one was) did not help.

He is super smart, and is picking stuff up, but we are a work in progress. I hope we are at that level, sometime in the future.

Both Pitbull's and Blue Ticks are extremely smart and easily trained, but like with anything else it takes consistency and time to get them to understand what you want. But both breeds strive to please you, so they are two of the easiest dogs to train that I know of.

I got rebel when he was four months old as a rescue from a couple of college girls that were beating him. He came to me as being dumber than a sack of rocks, didn't even know how to sit. That's because they were trying to teach him by beating him instead of through love.

I never did use treats to train him. Just a lot of enthusiastic add a boy's and petting and making a big deal when he get things right. And a stern no When he didn't.

It only took him about three or four days after I got him to figure out to get what he wanted, which was a lot of enthusiastic attention from me, he had to give me what I wanted.

I remember when I first started to teach him how to fetch. I would throw his ball, and tell him to go get it. Of course he would not understand that he had to go get it, so I would get up make a big deal and run over and grab it and then put it in his mouth then go back to where I started and tell him to bring it to me. Of course you do that. After a while he got the idea that I was the one that needed to go fetch, so he when he wanted to play fetch, he would bring me his ball and as soon as I reached for it to play with him he would whip his head around and throw it over his back, and start barking at me until I got up to go get it.[:D] he actually thought the game was that he had to throw it and I had to go fetch it. Occasionally he tries to pull that fetch game playing it that way on me even now.

But it will take until they're about three years old before they do everything perfect. From when they're first born until one year old they are just like a human in their adolescent stage of learning and understanding. About one year old to two years old it's like having a teenager, very defiant, but somewhat controlable. when they turn three years old it's like they turned it into an adult, and start acting very responsible. So it will take you a little while before you get the perfect dog you want.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Makes sense now.

I totally appreciate where your coming from. I have to edit almost every one of my posts.

Either miss-spellings due to tiny keyboard, or better yet, my spell check creating new and interesting words out of what I have actually typed.

If I can ever get Internet out here "in the sticks," without it being Uber expensive, I'd love to be able to use my tablet.

You do know you can use your smart phone as a hotspot for your tablet. I got mine hooked up that way, but I don't know how it's done, I had a younger person do it for me.[:D] but I use my tablet for work, so I don't want to use it for anything else.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm loving the "go fetch" analogy.

Too funny.

That's the point were at now. [V]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Butler Lean Treats. You can get them at your Vet or from amazon. It's the only treat my hard headed little girl doesn't get tired of.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Makes sense now.

You do know you can use your smart phone as a hotspot for your tablet. I got mine hooked up that way, but I don't know how it's done, I had a younger person do it for me.[:D] but I use my tablet for work, so I don't want to use it for anything else.

I've thought about, and heard about that before.

I need to explore that further.

Synching a USB cable from my "Smart phone," to my tablet may be an option."

I'm a Luddite, so it's like pulling teeth to get me into the modern age of electronics.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Variety seems to do the treat trick with my girls. Mini milk bones in the garage. In the house its what the wife gives them. Either way they are thrilled and supplental to the morning and afternoon meals.

Happy campers!!)
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Check with your provider first.
    Some allow tethering, but impose throttling when data threshold is reached. Some charge more for data if you pass a set amount.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Check with your provider first.
    Some allow tethering, but impose throttling when data threshold is reached. Some charge more for data if you pass a set amount.

Thought initially you were talking bout my dog.

Tethering and throttling, I was like WTH?? [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    it's easy. on the smart phone, go into Settings, and there will be a setting for Internet Sharing (or something like that) just turn it on. you can tell it what network name to use and give it a password.

go to your computer/tablet/watch/refrigerator/etc that you want to connect, and your smart phone's network name will appear in the list of available wifi networks. now you can connect and get onto the internet.

using a smartphone that way is not such a good idea because they have none of the security features of a regular wifi router or hotspot.

Thank you for the input, and information.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've thought about, and heard about that before.

I need to explore that further.

Synching a USB cable from my "Smart phone," to my tablet may be an option."

I'm a Luddite, so it's like pulling teeth to get me into the modern age of electronics.
    The CAPT don't want us talking 'bout no religion here. [;)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the dog associate a treat with you leaving. Maybe an attempt to control destiny
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh I almost forgot, peanut butter in the Kong ball is always a huge hit
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only treat he gets on a regular basis when I'm leaving, is a smoked pigs ear.

All other times, its a random selection.

Its the random selection stuff he is turning his nose up at.

The only pattern I see, is his gravitating away from beef rawhide chews to pork product.

Most everything I have pork related, he loves.

Too bad I've got a cupboard full of stuff he no longer likes. [B)][:0][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Just (within the past two days) started giving him some peanut butter, off the finger.

I think Peanut butter in the Kong would be getting it all over the place.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Just (within the past two days) started giving him some peanut butter, off the finger.

Rebel doesn't get it anywhere but down his mouth.. It takes him about a half hour to clean 1 or 2 tablespoons from the inside of the kong ball

You might want to try it while you're both outside and see how ihe goes, see if he's messy with it. I'm pretty sure he'll surprise you, It sure keeps Rebel occupied for a while
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila bought the home bake doggy biscuit kit and accessories...

She does a small batch about one a month - these are reserved for trips to the dog park or the vet...

She has priced out dehydrators - she likes the idea of me getting some non prime cuts of meat from javilinas and rabbits and other ranch or game animals so we can produce our own jerky for the dog and the ferret...

She also likes the idea of dehydrating some fruits and vegetables for the same end usage - treats and snacks for the pets...

Not only because she thinks it would be a superior tastier healthier alternative but because it would provide us with relaxing couples time - a relatively easy project that we can do together when she is off from work - there are a number of these types of activities that we do together - no deadlines / no rush / no pressure / lazy pleasures...

The dog is not super picky with treats - but has progressed and advanced his pallette...

There are some that he prefers - a few that he is no longer a fan of...

I like variety - if there is something on closeout or being discontinued or losing retail shelf space and marked down I will buy it..

If he does not like it they can be passed out at the dog park or passed on to retired neighbors or left out for the birds and squirrels and chipmunks and rabbits that haunt the property or on the parkland behind the fence...

Mike
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

If he gets messy with it try freezing one. The PB won't come out in globs and it will keep him occupied even longer.