In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plasma or LCD

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I bought a 37" Visio LCD about a year ago and it's a darn good TV. Kinda window shopping for a new and larger (42") HDTV to put in the family room and move the 37" to our bedroom.

I found this 42" Visio Plasma (here) at a price of $697 which is less than I paid for the 37" last year. Seems plasma is somewhat less than LCD.

I've read online comparisons (plasma vs. LCD), pros and cons; but, I'd rather have "first-hand" comments
any suggestions/comments?
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'bout the only big difference I can see is the glare bounce you get from a plasma.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you have theater style seating and will be directly in front of the tv at all times, LCD is the way to go. There is a reason that Plasma's are cheaper then LCD's now. They ain't selling very well. When I did my homework before we bought ours, I just couldn't put my finger on why a person would buy the Plasma, but to each his own I guess.

Jon
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well look at the resolution on the TV's that is where a lot of them get cheep from. I have seem some very crappy looking HD TV's while walking the isles of the discount stores.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plasmas have more of a problem with burn in and they can put off a LOT of heat. They do seem to do a little better at fast moving pictures like football games and NASCAR. That said both of mine are LCD and I am very happy with both.

Go to dealnews http://dealnews.com/categories/Electronics/Televisions/159.html? to find some deals in the size you want then CNet.com to get reviews on any you are interested in. There are some killer deals out there right now.
  • Options
    XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XLpitman
    LCD

yup
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a large LCD computer monitor instead, and get a cable box with an HDMA output on it. There's no reason to waste the money on a "TV" that has a tuner built in that you won't even be able to use after next year anyway. If you really insist though I highly recommend the Samsung LCD's. Maybe I'm bias cause I got a buddy who's is an engineer at the Samsung here in Austin, but the proofs in the pudding. You get more bang for the buck. Plasma's kinda out dated anyway.
  • Options
    MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the TV has an ATSC tuner in it you will be able to use it. (Mine each have 2 ATSC tuners) They also have VGA and DVI inputs so they can be hooked to a computer

quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Buy a large LCD computer monitor instead, and get a cable box with an HDMA output on it. There's no reason to waste the money on a "TV" that has a tuner built in that you won't even be able to use after next year anyway. If you really insist though I highly recommend the Samsung LCD's. Maybe I'm bias cause I got a buddy who's is an engineer at the Samsung here in Austin, but the proofs in the pudding. You get more bang for the buck. Plasma's kinda out dated anyway.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Definatly go with LCD!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the LCD TV's I see 1080i and 1080p, whats the difference?
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Altitude is an issue, also. Above a certain elevation, like 5,000 or 6,000 ft., plasmas don't work as well. Or so I'm told. I hear cold is also an issue.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you get the "extended Warrenty".
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just went through this and decided to go with a LCD based on non glare issue .. Do a search for the resolution differences that are available now ..
  • Options
    dongilldongill Member Posts: 2,640
    edited November -1
    DLP with LED technology. Light source lasts longer. Samsung makes them.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i see the plasma myth is still going strong

burn in is a thing of the past

glare is a thing of the past

plasma gets 100,000 hour life span now

compare "response time", lcd you will find 5-20ms, plasma has none, response time is what creates pix-elation during action {digital breakup

plasma has up to a 1,000,000 to one contrast ratio

most i have seen that own lcd, will agree plasma has a better picture, but claim one of the above as the reason
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    On the LCD TV's I see 1080i and 1080p, whats the difference?

1080i is what is called interlaced, that means there are 1080 lines of resolution, they "refresh" every other line, then start over refreshing the opposite

{hold out your 4 fingers, move your index finger then your ring finger}

1080p is progressive, it refreshes each and every one of the lines of resolution in a row

{hold out 4 fingers, move your index finger, then your middle, then your ring, then your pinky thats progressive}

1080p is only available with blue ray {some can upconvert to 1080p "signal" but is not 1080p}, it is debatable that when equal quality systems are side by side from 6-10 feet away the human eye cannot tell the difference between , 1080i, 1080p
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    i see the plasma myth is still going strong

burn in is a thing of the past

glare is a thing of the past

plasma gets 100,000 hour life span now

compare "response time", lcd you will find 5-20ms, plasma has none, response time is what creates pix-elation during action {digital breakup

plasma has up to a 1,000,000 to one contrast ratio

most i have seen that own lcd, will agree plasma has a better picture, but claim one of the above as the reason

+1 all of the above.

Lcd uses less power and is cheaper to produce...
  • Options
    clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey there beneteau, that's my setup. I have 2 vizio LCD's(37" in the bedroom and 47" in the family room) and love them. Nice contrast ratios and you can't beat the price. I have heard that their customer service dept. leaves something to be desired, but I wouldn't know I've never had to call them. LCD or Plasma? Generally speaking, plasma has a better picture than LCD, if you're standing straight in front of it. They process motion better. LCD runs cooler than plasma and are more versatile, and have a wider viewing angle. LCD has ghosting, which is when a moving image has a tail following it on screen when it shouldn't. To counter this issue you can buy a 120hz LCD but those are higher in price than 60hz models. Good Luck and Happy new Year!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Over the past two years we have installed over 1,000 LCD 60" screens.

This whole process started with 2 plasma screens. Those were the only 2 installed. The LCD's followed.

Therein lies your answer.

that only proves that 1,000 people are cheating themselves, mainly by believing many myths mentioned above [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Over the past two years we have installed over 1,000 LCD 60" screens.

This whole process started with 2 plasma screens. Those were the only 2 installed. The LCD's followed.

Therein lies your answer.

There's no answer in your post... LCDs have been cheaper than plasma sets... thus easier to sell.

Nothing better for deep blacks / high contrats than plasma. The newest and best LCDs aren't even close.

Quick motion once again goes to a plasma.

Off angle viewing up to 160 degrees is a big plus to plasma.

Most accurate color reproduction is plasma.

But plasmas cost more and use more energy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just me, go in to where they sell them. Look at eash and make a choice. Make sure to look at the direction and distance you would normally be from the TV.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the glare problem is a thing of the past then it must have been resolved within the past few months because it was horribly noticable when we did our homwork and bought our LCD. I don't like to see dark spots when I sit at the side of my tv.

Jon
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    My next TV will be................................................PLASMA[:0]