In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

another one gone.....

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
i've been raising a crossbreed black lab and blue healer litter for the last 2 yrs.
akc lab jumped the fence and violated the aka healer.
anyway, turns out the cross has excellent qualities for hunting.
temperament of the lab and non stop performance of the healer.
unfortunately, they turned out to be jumpers. could clear a 4 ft fence from a sitting start. i have a hot wire 6" above the fence top, so they are really jumping 4 1/2 feet
i lost one to coyotes when she was 6 mos old. I was working her in the pasture when coyotes come out of the tree line. (thats another story)
another one jumped the fence and got run over by the propane delivery guy last year.
today i get a call telling me one was hit on the two lane highway 1/4 mile away.
i have one left. i just ordered a shock collar and electric fence. will probably leash it to a ground spike in the interim. any better ideas?
thanks
tom

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the short term no, but building a kennel might be a long term safety zone when you are away or such.
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    I was having the same issues. I finally strung a sixty foot 1/4" wire about 7 feet off the ground, with a roller and a leash hanging from it. You have to be kind of careful with your setup or they might hang them selves. I eventually found another solution.

I mentioned to a buddy that I wanted to build a kennel and came home few days later and found a pile of concrete reinforcing mesh laying in the street. Six by eight foot panels, 3/16" inch steel rod in a six inch square grid. My buddy over did it a bit and left me enough for a sixty foot by sixty foot enclosure. Stiff works great, doesn't catch much wind, the dogs can't get a run at it and run up it, their paws go through the mesh. Been up there for around fifteen years now.
    When I had pups I did the bottom 18" in pig wire.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog getting hit. That's awful. I've got two blue heeler mixes.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a black and tan hound mix that climbs our fence. I have to keep him on a cable in the yard. I've thought about running an electric fence along the top to keep him in.
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    build a kennel...with a top. your idea will just cost you an extra 250 bucks when the dog runs away with it's new collor on.

Collors are for training and should not be worn between training sessions.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dogs collars are there to hang their licenses and rabies certificates on.
    [^]barto[^]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I know about this Pet Sematary ...

[:0]