In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Should I report it?

HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
I came across some interesting information while reviewing a competing bidders feedback. Specifically, the things that he has purchased on GB are illegal in his state (California). He also attempted to pass himself off as an "FFL licencee" (which clearly he is not), then recently changed his GB ID to possibly better reflect his character as a silent predator [}:)]. With all of the current terrorism concerns, this person is buying some very questionable merchandise (spring batons, high capacity magazines, nylon (non-metalic) knives, tear gas cartridges, etc.). He used the same ID on eBay to purchase a Sten submachine gun kit. Fortunately, one of the GB sellers of high capacity magazines refused to send them to him in California. Should I mind my own business, or should this concern be reported to local law enforcement[?]

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I think I would mind my own business!

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • JermsJerms Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By posting it on this forum, I would say you have pretty much obligated yourself to report the FFL fraud if nothing else. I would imagine that's pretty serious.
  • HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric:

So, you suggest that I mind my own business (or hide my head in the sand and hope the problems goes away)? I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

Jim
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If nothing else, report it to GB and Ebay. They can decide what to do. It would be easier for them because they have all of his info on file.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, report him.

SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL!

You should be ashamed to be an American. Shut the hell up, and mind your business. What he is buying doesn't have anything to do with terrorism.

What if he bought a box-cutter, would you report him? THINK!

Merc (hater of Nazis!)

"It's not about winning, it's about FUN!" - Spongebob Squarepants

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    What are the chances that this guy is one of the brady bunch or some other gun hating org? I would probably report him to GB so he dosent try to start some kind of big outrage, over how easy it is to buy banned items (in his state) online. He could be out to cause problems for all of us.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HobbyGuy
    Eric:

So, you suggest that I mind my own business (or hide my head in the sand and hope the problems goes away)? I'm glad you're not my neighbor.

Jim

YOU ASKED: "Should I mind my own business, or should this concern be reported to local law enforcement"? I answered you. If you have nothing better to do than to try to dig up dirt on someone else...I feel sorry for you[xx(] I do not know what your purchasing practices on GB have been, but someone could probably say the same ("With all of the current terrorism concerns, this person is buying some very questionable merchandise...") about you...and label you as a possible terrorist. You are frequenting a Gun site! I'm a firm believer in minding my own business. Before long, it will be illegal to own a pocket knife in CA...are you going to report everyone who does?

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this day and time report him,if he's legite so be it.If not you have done your civic duty as a good US citizen.Really if he's done nothing wrong what have you to loose.If not you could be saveing American Lives.We all need to be aware of any suspicious activity and act accordingly.My 2 cents!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rugster!
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    HobbyGuy: I'd report it to eBay and GunBroker, but not to law enforcement. People who say it's your duty as an American citizen to report all suspicious activity have America confused with Soviet Russia, but it is not a bad idea to let eBay and GB know that this person is most likely using their services to carry out purchases and/or sales that are illegal. They can investigate and possibly pursue the matter as they see fit.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Should I mind my own business, or should this concern be reported to local law enforcement[?].........You're just the type of people that make this world a more challenging place to live. [:(]

Why did you ask for opinions if you already knew what you were going to do? Then, you criticize the person who just honestly answers your question. I think you may be the challenging one.

Ben
    edited November -1
    What part of YOUR OWN QUESTION, "Should I mind my own business" do you not understand??? I answered your question exactly as you had it worded...then you started YOUR attacks:

" Eric:

Jim"

You obviously had your mind made up from the beginning...so why ask the question. People here would be well advised to watch what they say and do around you.

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Totally agree with Zerodin. [:O]

Mudge the squealer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I agree with Merc and ECC

quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Yes, report him.

SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL!

You should be ashamed to be an American. Shut the hell up, and mind your business. What he is buying doesn't have anything to do with terrorism.

What if he bought a box-cutter, would you report him? THINK!

Merc (hater of Nazis!)

"It's not about winning, it's about FUN!" - Spongebob Squarepants

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well first of all if sellers are sending high capacity magazines and other items that dont need to go to california they are just as guilty
    the thing that scares me is that we could be living in someone else's own reality
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge
    Totally agree with Zerodin. [:O]

Yeah, that's the face I made when I read it, too. This is a dangerous pattern, mudge, my friend. [;)]
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1

Are you just bored and feel that you need to throw in your 2 cents worth of critisism, or do you actually have something constructive to say?

I'm just trying to help you become a better person. Nothing more, nothing less. [:)]
    I'll stop now, lest you get even hungrier.
    Ben
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first reaction was the same as ECC's. Then I got to thinking "what if?" If this guy is a terrorist and uses this stuff to pull off another 9/11 and kills a couple of thousand people, I would have to live the rest of my life knowing I could have stopped it. If he's just the average Calif. nutcase that goes on a killing spree, same thing, plus more ammo for the gun grabbers here. Claiming to be an FFL,changeing his ID,tear gas,plastic knives,HiCap mags, and a Sten kit? Who of us here does this? Who in Calif. is dumb enough to take a chance buying this stuff,leave a trail, and risk prison and having all your guns confiscated? One of the things I've learned in life, Is if it seems like a coincedence, it usually isn't! This guy's up to no good, and I agree with ZERODIN.

"Aim small...Miss small"
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    "this concern be reported to local law enforcement"

I imagine the Fed's watch this website closely and are building a case against him.

awcountdown.gif
  • 5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And who asks such a question after just six posts?

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • bigbenzbigbenz Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys listen. I have some very scary news. I seen a guy that was walking buy a gun shop and looked in the window. I think he was going to buy a gun!!!!!!!!!!!! i am scared for my families life and dont know what to do. Should i be a little bi-tch and rat him out? Or should i be a fa-g and tell my mommy? Please help me i just dont know what to do.

Thanks

Hall Monitor(Clayton Vally High School)

WWW.CAMilitia.com

SKS
    Su-16
    K98
    Ar-15(fab-10)M4
    edited November -1
    You dumb *. I cant belive that you spelled a word wrong.Whats the world comming to?

WWW.CAMilitia.com

SKS
    Su-16
    K98
    Ar-15(fab-10)M4
    edited November -1
    My Ak-47. Its a felonly to have one[V]

WWW.CAMilitia.com

SKS
    Su-16
    K98
    Ar-15(fab-10)M4
  • Chockfull O NutsChockfull O Nuts Member Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see... New member who asks a question and then gets upset when someone answers... Wants to get involved in other people's business and jumps up on soapbox to defend his right to interfere... Within 10 posts is acting like a know it all and insulting others with snide comments, sarcastic remarks and condescending attitude... Yup, he'll fit right in.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    HobbyGuy: Thank you for joining the forum. You make me look good![;)][}:)][:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY

[:D][:D][:D]That just made me laugh. We all like you Hairy!...don't we.?.?[:)][;)]

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

edited November -1
    Hobby Guy, just a paranoid observation about a paranoia. First I gotta ask what's your motivation here justice or some sort of revenge for getting beat out of an auction? If it was made by casual observation and your "perception" was not tainted (lost auction) then tell the powers that be.

In the meantime loosen up that collar so you can breathe

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    If you had any balls, you would have made up your own mind and acted on it, instead of whining to the board "What should I do? What should I do?"

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I had a buyer wanting some AR15 30 round mags I had for sale on GB. When I received his money order I saw he was from CA. Researching CA law I found I could be charged in CA with sending the mags to him. I doubt CA would have gone to the trouble to extradite me all the way from GA, but didn't want to take that chance.

I refunded his money, explaining my reasons. He said they were for a Beowolf coversion, and would only hold 10 rounds for that, but understood.

I didn't report him to CA authorities. Why? To me, that pre-ban law isn't right. I just didn't want to be any part of a CA problem to him, or to me.

Hobbyguy, do whatever you think is right. I'm not going to knock your decision. That's up to you.

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember, some people here did ask for "someone" [;)]
    to stir the pot. (liven things up)

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Hobby Guy: tell me where and how I can check this info about this possible terroist for myself so I can give you a thoughful answer.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hobby gut, I do not usually post much but if Hairy thinks you make him look good I have to say something, Are you Hairy? Don[}:)][:D][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hobby guy- I wouldn't worry about 5db too much he's just trying to strut around with his brand new 5th star. Which he accquired a whopping three posts ago. It makes me laugh any time someone around here says "hey you must be wrong, I've been here longer." Good way to make the new members feel welcome around here 5db.

quote:5db
    Advanced Member

2503 Posts

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    dcon12: Nah, he's him and I'm me. [;)][8D][:D]

• PointindogPointindog Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several years ago I watched while a gun shop sold an MAK 90 to guy who admitted verbally and on the 4473 to being a drug user. The clerk allowed him to pen change his answer on the form. I struggled with whether or not I should report it to the authorities and in the end, did nothing. I have come to regret that decision.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

lafayette.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We Love Big Brother.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY

LMAO[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg2003-interstate-batteries-chevy.jpg850351.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    Don't Mess with Texas / Don't Mess with Poland
    edited November -1
    Hey Dave W. thanks for noticing! This glorious occasion might have slipped by un-noticed if it hadn't been for your astute observations!

It's not my position to make judgment on a poster based solely on the number of post they have made or the lack thereof. My observation of HobbyGuy was aroused by the nature of the question with it's legal ramifications, in combination with the low number of posts.

If on the other hand, you had posed the same question and I saw you had 1600+ posts, I would not have been curious about the intent of the posting.

Mayhaps this will help you understand where I'm coming from and it's not about stars, for quality will always earn my respect over quantity and I use "Member Since" dates in making that judgment.

• pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    Geez, are you guys really this gullible.

I would think you could smell a troll as soon as they booted up their computer by now.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.