In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady XTP vs Speer Gold Dot vs Rem Golden Saber

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
To be used in muzzleloader against Bambi.

What would you use?

2004052802_Display-25.gif

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm- As I am sure you are aware, bullet placement is the crucial element, But I have had good expierences with Speer Gold Dot ammo.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady XTP!
    Use them for all my reloading needs.

Nowhere in the U.S. Constitution does it state: "Seperation of Church and State".

"Those who beat their guns into plow shares; will plow for those who don't."

"Woo unto you who call good evil and evil good."

62038332.jpgawcountdown.gif
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Hornady XTP have always worked well for me , I've never used Speer so can't say anything good or bad about them , Remingtons I've tried have shoot well on paper but I haven't killed anything with them, but them Hornady's sure have put some big holes in deer [:D]
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've killed deer using both Hornady XTP's and Sierra JHC's out of a .50 cal Knight T-Bolt. All exited with classic behind the shoulder shots with good expansion. The deer I killed with the XTP went farther, but it was a lot larger deer (11 pt, 140 class) the other two were does. Plus, I've killed some with lead conicals too! I would let accuracy guide my decision, as I did. The Sierras shoot a little better out of my gun. ALSO, I used .45 Cal XTP's and .44 Cal Sierra JHC's. I'm getting ready to do some more playing and try the Hornady SST's!
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Forget the wannabes and shoot either the Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition bullets.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

VIP Code: 900440

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Forget the wannabes and shoot either the Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition bullets.

No reason to spend the money on heavily constructed bullets for deer, no accuracy gain either.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like maybe the XTPs will do the job[:D]

Allen, I have tossed around the idea of using a large dia rifle bullet but not sure if I can acheive the velocities with a muzzleloader to make them work.

2004052802_Display-25.gif
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm, I shot three deer with xtp's 240 grains, all of them ran away with good shot placement. Two were shot by friends, one nice buck by a stranger. I switched to 300 grain xtps, and now the deer are DRT, dead right there.

Go with the larger size bullet, I am shooting a T/C black diamond in 50 cal.

muss
  • Options
    Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm, good luck. I have used all three, still do, in .40 and .45. I am drifting more toward exclusive use of the Golden Saber after examining the effects of all three. This included the dissecting of wound channels in carcasses of 200 lb.(approx) hogs. I agree that all three are excellent bullets,and I would have no problem with using any of them. Please keep us posted on your results.