In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Just scored a bolt action .243, never had one before. Anyone that has one, what's your preferred ammunition?

Comments

• woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will a .243 take down a elk ,moose or a caribou at say 150/200 yrds?
    edited November -1
    Would a .243 round be good for deer, and turkey? What other game is this round capable of, and at about what distance? What are your personal experiences with it?
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lighter rounds for far off and heavier rounds for close up. It depends on the lay of the land.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Great caliber.. For 12 yo. kids.
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded Berger bullets when I had mine. The deer I shot with it never took a step. Wish I still had that gun.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use 100 gr bullets to kill anything from ants to zebras from 0 inches to 250 yards.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    +++1000[;)]quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    use 100 gr bullets to kill anything from ants to zebras from 0 inches to 250 yards.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    l hunted deer with one for years and never lost any.. 0n my first taste of prairie dogging l took a Win HV in 243 loaded with 58gr VMax bullets @ 4000fps. Talk about a RED MIST [:0] My 243 HV will leave a 220Swift or 22-250 in the dust any day [^]
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 100 gr.

55 gr silvertip or 58 gr Vmax on varmints is GREAT![;)]
    edited November -1
    It will be my 5 yr. olds as soon as he is ready, that's what I bought it for. I'll start with the 100gr to get a feel for it. Thanks gents.
  • breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Savage 99 with old Leupold scope for $225.00. I have never owned a Savage 99 so I'm looking forward to hunting with it.
    edited November -1
    This is me with my .243 given to me in 1981. The only rifle I have hunted with and killed with since it was given to me. Remington 700 ADL .243. I am actually walking to my blind when I snap this shot of myself.

2011-11-19_17-17-06_222_zps5e80af5e.jpg

Here is what I dropped dead in it's tracks @100 yds season before last:

DSCN2710.jpg

The following weekend dropped this ugly mut @200 yds on the run.

DSCN2754.jpg

Some laugh @ .243. But I could show you a wall of animals that ain't laughing.
  • grizgriz Member Posts: 425 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here' what that 99 in .243 will do for yuh, breddyrrt.

Fall_2010002-trimmed_1_1_zps3095c219.jpg[/URL]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    It will be my 5 yr. olds as soon as he is ready, that's what I bought it for. I'll start with the 100gr to get a feel for it. Thanks gents.

I hope this one will be my 3 yr olds when she is ready. I plan to move up to a Remington 700 ADL 7mm-08. It'll be all I need. If it won't get it, the 7Mag Abolt will.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    Just scored a bolt action .243, never had one before. Anyone that has one, what's your preferred ammunition?

Ford or Chevy
    What are your plans and targets?
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my Remington 700 BDL .243 about 30 years ago as a cross over gun that would work well for coyotes and deer. I use pretty much 80 and 100 grain ammo only.
    edited November -1
    Awesome!!!
    For those 60 yd'ers,huh?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by griz
    Here' what that 99 in .243 will do for yuh, breddyrrt.

Fall_2010002-trimmed_1_1_zps3095c219.jpg[/URL]

DAMN nice * shot!! How many days to track that animak down?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    This is me with my .243 given to me in 1981. The only rifle I have hunted with and killed with since it was given to me. Remington 700 ADL .243. I am actually walking to my blind when I snap this shot of myself.

2011-11-19_17-17-06_222_zps5e80af5e.jpg

Here is what I dropped dead in it's tracks @100 yds season before last:

DSCN2710.jpg

The following weekend dropped this ugly mut @200 yds on the run.

DSCN2754.jpg

Some laugh @ .243. But I could show you a wall of animals that ain't laughing.

Is that another deer shot in the *?
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what yer seein there fishkiller.
    The yote mightabeen shot in the *. OR, it mightabeen shot behind the rib cage on a quartering away shot and the bullet ranged forward into the vitals.
    Cant tell from a picture.
    Neither of those deer looks to me like they were shot in the * from the pictures I see.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to use THE BEST 243 bullet, use Barnes 80 grain TTSX BT. Beyond deadly. When you pull the trigger, you go get your deer. These are the bullets that caused some serious cussin at the range 2 years ago. After bore sighting I went to the range to get my new Savage (the one with the Accutrigger and Accubarrel) 2" high and dead center at 100 yds. I was firing off of a lead sled. Shot my first 3 shot group with my new rifle, my new scope and my new load. Grabbed the spotting scope to make the first adjustment. Could only see one hole about 2" left of center. Kept going over the whole target, just 1 hole. &*%%$#%%^%^$#@. Walked out to the target.

THREE SHOT TOUCHING CLOVER LEAF!!! Thru the spotting scope it looked like 1 hole!

Deadly and super accurate. What more could you ask for??
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love mine its a old model 700 adl not pretty but can keep 5 shots under a dime at 100yds with nosler partitions run pa state deer right on thru shoulder
  • ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Never owned one myself. Hunted with a cousin who took some Mule Deer here in Arizona with his. Good clean kills, some at over two hundred yards. Seemed a perfectly serviceable caliber for the task up to deer-size critters.

He practiced on Jackrabbits. Fairly exploded half the critter, made a terrible mess.
  • breddyrrtbreddyrrt Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Griz

Nice rifle and deer!
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my favorite calibers, 100gr for deer. Just buy some regular soft point ammo and see what it will do before going with the high dollar stuff.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one twisted for 105 grain Amax's and see how she shines way out there.
    edited November -1
    My deer was shot in the neck. If you look at the picture you can see his neck is slightly larger in one place. That is not rut, that is bullet expansion. The force of the impact broke his neck. You can see how the head is a bit awkward laying unnaturally.

The yote was hit just in front of the hips closer to his back. He was in a dead run on an angle. I could see he was going to go behind a tree so rather than risk a miss on a shot under pressure, I chose to scope where I expect him to emerge. I zeroed in where I thought his nose would be and when he emerged I shot. In the * or not that was my first attempt at a a target in a dead run. I shot a tad high but I am OK with the results.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Ruger 77 International likes both the Federal and Remington plain-Jane 100 gr loads. Yours may differ, but it's a good place to start.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    .243 is a great deer caliber. I plan to get one.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage 110 loves the Remington Core Lokt 100 gr. Never lost a deer with them, or had to track one far.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Remington Core Lokt. I've loaded everything from 55gr. to 100 gr. and the 100 gr. CoreLokt couldn't be beat for accuracy.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 700 BDL in 243 and a Winchester model 88 in 243. I use 100 grain bullets. I like the Winchester but for some reason the Remington kicks me hard. I think the stock is too long. I am very recoil sensitive and thus the reason for me buying the 243. I switched and went with the 257 Roberts, that to me has no or little kick and can do the same job but at further distances.Oakie
  • TcattTcatt Member Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barnes ballistic tips.

The only argument you will get on a 243 is from those who have never owned one.

One fine round and capable of taking anything up to say 400lbs, out to 400yards.

Been hunting with one for 40 years.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I have a Remington 700 BDL in 243 and a Winchester model 88 in 243. I use 100 grain bullets. I like the Winchester but for some reason the Remington kicks me hard. I think the stock is too long. I am very recoil sensitive and thus the reason for me buying the 243. I switched and went with the 257 Roberts, that to me has no or little kick and can do the same job but at further distances.Oakie
    The .257 kicks less than the .243? Color me surprised.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    The .257 kicks less than the .243? Color me surprised.

Recoil is subjective especially when stock fit and style comes into play. Take two identical rifles, one chambered for the bob and one in 243. Load them both with 100 grain bullets, I would think a person would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The 243 wins the long range game because of high BC bullets.
    edited November -1
    Its a pre-64 model 70 featherweight. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it. Thanks for all the good insight fellas