In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finally went digital

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
after owning Nikon SLRs since 1968 and adding Hasselblads in 1987, I've finally brokedown and got a Nikon 8700. Only thing now is I have to get film for it in the form of memory chips. The manual says I can use SanDisk, Lexar, Hitachi, & Microdrive in models that run from 16M to 2G. The manual doesn't say what the benefits of any of them are- so I was hoping someone here would be able to let me know, before I buy one by the dart-board method.

Comments

• Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Now a nice 6-wire Firewire Drive to move your high-data photos between computers, and to the printers for gallery-proof copies.

It's amazing how quickly the manufacturers figured out that they need to convert SLR to digital. A $9K camera is now $3-4K. First the news services were the only ones with them, but even I'm looking at a lower-end model, under $500 (remanufactured).
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray - I have a Nikon D70 and Nikon D2H. You bought a very good camera there and I think you will be very pleased with the pictures it will take. I believe the megapixel rating on that camera is 8. First thing I recommend is to always shoot in the highest resolution unless you have to bump it down. Since you will be shooting high res you will need a large memory card. Your camera uses the compact flash type of card. Scandisk and Lexar are good brands. I use Delkins but that is because I get them for free. I would suggest you get a minimum of 1gb with a write speed of 40x. Dont get a write speed faster than that because your camera cant write that fast anyway. However, if you plan on upgrading to a faster camera in the future a faster card would be a good idea. I would guess that a 1gb card in your camera would give you about 225 pictures at the highest setting. It might give you over a 1000 at the lowest setting. Here is a good link for everything Nikon related. They are all nikon users and many are professionals. They can answer all of your questions http://www.nikonians.org/index.html
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Thanks all!! I got a SanDisk Ultra II. It's only 512M, but it writes at 8M, which I guess is Okay, but not spectacular. It should work as a step in the learning process. In a few years after I get the hang of all this electronic stuff, and the models that interchange with my Nikkor and possibly my Zeiss lenses are priced somewhere near within reason, I'd be going that route. Thanks again for the help!!