In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Methanol anyone?

Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Just a survey... I'm thinking the time has come....

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We won't ever use methanol. Types of alcohol yes, but methanol is too corrisive of a liquid to use. Engines would not last. In racing engines, you literally poor 113 gas into a carburator of a methonal engine and try to run it. It will cough and spit and you do it some more. If you don't do this, your carburator and engine will be hosed by the next day.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you mean ethanol perhaps? made from corn.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a gas station in York Pa that had Methanol back in 1980.
    A little station with just two pumps and the other one was gas.

All the Gas Stations will be carrying Methanol just as soon as all the Road signs and our measuring system in converted to Metric.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's got a be a way to make a still in the back yard and use that.
    Naw! We be to Drunk to Drive. [:D] [:D] [8D]

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Methanol is highly toxic.
    You probably mean ethanol. . .
    And its coming. . .no question about it.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Vegetable oil.

A diesel engine can run on it. Some need a little modification like starting it on diesel and you must heat the veggie oil to get it to the proper viscosity then run on that.

If I was in a place that get's cold this winter...I'd get an old fuel oil furnace and be expiramenting on running it on veggie oil/old automatic tranny fluid mix.

I don't think anybody realizes alot of people are going to be freezing this winter.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No thanks.........that stuff will make a person go blind.
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    Vegetable oil.

A diesel engine can run on it. Some need a little modification like starting it on diesel and you must heat the veggie oil to get it to the proper viscosity then run on that.

If I was in a place that get's cold this winter...I'd get an old fuel oil furnace and be expiramenting on running it on veggie oil/old automatic tranny fluid mix.

I don't think anybody realizes alot of people are going to be freezing this winter.

Why run a diesil on veggie oil when you can make diesel out of it? I saw an episode of Trucks on Spike where they did it. You have to buy the equipment and do a little simple chem. work, but it comes out to around seventy five cents a gallon.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read and article in Backwoodsman Magazine about taking used vegtable oil and adding Red Devil lye to it. After filtering it was diesel fuel
    Also we have unlimited resources to produce Ethanol. It can be made from any type plant material that can be fermented(Good way to get rid of Kudzu in the South). Iowa and Nebraska produce enough corn to run the whole world on ethanol. Plus it is a renewable resource.

Keep Your Powder Dry
    NRA Life Member
    The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We could make the ethanol from midwest corn. This would make our exports that we feed around the world MAD. They could drink their Petroleum.
  • Options
    ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New program, food for Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ccddbb95448
    New program, food for Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:select-fire Posted - 09/01/2005 : 12:07:17 PM
    We could make the ethanol from midwest corn. This would make our exports that we feed around the world MAD. They could drink their Petroleum.

Thats what I have been saying. We should trade them straight up a bushel of grain for a barrel of oil. If they don't think that is fair then they can drink their oil.
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It won't be methanol. Even Indy race cars are switching to Ethanol next season. Methanol (often called wood alcohol even though now days its usually made from natural gas) is too expensive to make and would probably end up costing as much or more than gasoline especially since we use natural gas for so many other things. Ethanol will be the most likely alternative fuel in the near term. Its made from vegitation (currently usually corn but it can be made from almost any form of vegitation including desert weeds). Only problem is, that currently the amount of ethanol produced amounts to less than 3% of the amount of gasoline produced, so we'd seriously have to increase production of ethanol to use it as an alternative to gasoline. To produce 97% more ethanol, we'd also have to make it out of something other than corn, otherwise we'd use to much corn and not have enough for the other things corn is used for. Also, the auto manufacturers would have to start producing engines that can handle the higher octane of ethanol (about 113 octane compared to 87 to 92 for various versions of gasoline). Ethanol distribution would have to be vastly expanded and gas stations would have to be modified with new storage tanks to maintain their supply. Not to mention the oil lobby is pretty strong and would fight against it. Bottom line, it will be many years if not decades before America significantly decreases its use of gasoline.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I saw where a guy invented an engine that runs on walnuts. how mch are walnuts now about $5 a pound? I have an idea for an engine that runs on bald eagle heads and fabrgie eggs.
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    I saw where a guy invented an engine that runs on walnuts. how mch are walnuts now about $5 a pound? I have an idea for an engine that runs on bald eagle heads and fabrgie eggs.

Turboshaft engines (turbojet engine made to drive a shaft like in the M1 Abrahms tank) can be made to run on dust.
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally, diesel engines were designed to run on coal dust, slurried in water...

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are right, I was yacking about ethanol....

• Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, but how I do love the smell of 40 methanol-fueled machines taking the parade lap around noon on raceday....smells like,....victory...

• Options
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]

• Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    It would take 1.5 to 2 times the total of the earth's land mass to plant corn and or soybeans to produce enough ethanol that the United States uses in a single year!!!!!!!!!

Now just where are we going to get that much land mass to plant the corn or soybeans, to meet our demand for fuel???

Walte
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2
    It would take 1.5 to 2 times the total of the earth's land mass to plant corn and or soybeans to produce enough ethanol that the United States uses in a single year!!!!!!!!!

Now just where are we going to get that much land mass to plant the corn or soybeans, to meet our demand for fuel???

Walte

Iraq, duh. [;)][:D]

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gov makes to much money on gas so they will not change the ways for some time i say Strike on a certain day cause one day would hurt the gas companys. We have the technolgy here folks its just trying to get the car companys to change cause i'm sure there in with the oil companys in some way. it really is sad we don't have another source of energy well use another source.

No More, No More, No More, No More, No More, No More, No More, No More, No More,
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The truck in my signature runs on straight E85. I modified my 850 holley. Jetted up by 35%, enlarged the idle feed channel restrictions, enlarged the powervalve channel restrictions, and installed 50cc acelerator pump kit on primaries, installed alcohol power valves. The truck love the stuff. Stomp on the throttle at 40mph and it will smoke the tires. Dave[:D]

05308_04.jpg
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2

Walte

Where'd ya here that? When I was down in Decature IL near Springfield the sold ethanol $0.50 cheaper that 87 gasoline.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Another difference between methanol and ethanol is the temperature it goes from liquid to gas- Methanol is much higher, so doesnt perform in a reciprocating engine. Ethanol is very similar to gasoline, so can be mixed with gas and in small percentages can be done with very little in adjustment to the motor. However, it's a matter of supply/demand & cost of production that will determine the future price of all these resources.