In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reply to a reasonable member

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
Hope USN Airedale doesn't mind if I use his post and provide an answer that may interest the people who are unsure about what to think about the NRA. I will admit that until 1976, as Airdale mentions, the NRA gave no thought to defending the 2A or gun rights. But they had a reason. The leaders at the time thought it wasn't and never would be necessary. Neal Knox and his supporters, in 1976 (or there abouts) did understand about fighting for gun rights. And when KNox and crew pulled a coup, they changed the direction of the NRA as I explain below. So, it can be said, if you wish to frame it like this, that until 1976 there was a "bad" NRA and after 1976 a "good" NRA.

quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
i believe a persons age has a lot to do with the NRA, gun control in general, Mr. Limbaugh has said that history begins with a persons birthdate, i agree !

how old are some of you hard line NRA backers ?

i was not around in 1934.., but shortly afterwards, i once was an NRA member but when Neal Knox walked away from them in 1976, myself and several thousand others walked with him, never to look back.

i very strongly believe that in 1934, we the people, the NRA and politicians had the strength to defeat any and all new anti gun/gun control laws, but the "hunting" part of the NRA caved in to the pressure and went along with, "yes, we need to have some government control over guns".., all one needs to do is research the history of the 1934 gun control act and you just might learn something.., i sure as hell did !!

today the NRA is THE NegotiableRights Association

those of you who love and support them fine, i admire your loyalty.

those of us who do not like the NRA for it's past deeds fine, i admire your loyalty, also but let's NOT become a HATE group, let's just politely agree to disagree, OK ??

NOW !! read below, does this bother any of you NRA members ? what is the possibility of a hacker getting into this data base and........, do i need to fully explain the consequences ??

How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners
While the National Rifle Association publicly fights against a national gun registry, the organization has gone to incredible lengths to compile information on "tens of millions" of gun owners - without their consent.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevefriess/how-the-nra-built-a-massive-secret-database-of-gun-owners

have a really great day my friends [:D]

From the history I have available to me, Neal Knox did nothing of the sort you claim in green above. What he DID Do was to organize a revolt. A revolt which largely succeeded and that success was the reason Neal Knox won and accepted a high ranking position in the NRA for several years. A revolt that changed the course of the NRA from thinking it was almost a privileged organization that would always be treated well and be respected and whose gun rights would always be respected. A revolt in which the Knox and victors of that revolt changed the course of the NRA into an organization that realized they had to change their naive, passive ways about gun rights. A revolt which caused the NRA to actually create a special department called the Institute for Legislative Action dedicated to nothing but politically fighting for gun rights. So USN Airedale, I don't know if your memory is faulty, you have ingested bad intel, or I have the wrong info. HOwever, considering where I got my info, I believe it is correct.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has been plenty of anti 2nd amendment BS from the NRA since 1976. Try again.

If you need documentation there is plenty of information and references in old post right here on this site. There is no need to keep showing it to you, you will ignore it like always.

What is "reasonable and common sense" to the NRA, is liberty infringement BS to me.

Spout on TR spout on.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    I am a NRA member. Welcome back fox. [^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good or Bad . there the only group everyone knows and have any pull or influence , even if they waste money or not 100% of what I would like them to be , the 35.00 a year is no more than a trip to a fast food joint ,
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a member for years. This coming week I will become a member of GOA.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a life member of the NRA.

I realize that the NRA is not the greatest gun rights organization but they try and fight. The do compromise and it pizzes me off but what other game in town is there. I m a member of the GOA also.

Ronald Reagan was no friend to gun owners but I think he was a good POTUS and I was proud to have him as president.
    RLTW

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been a Life Member of the NRA since January 1966, but it isn't necessary to bite me. [:D]

I don't always agree with the NRA, and a couple of times I didn't agree with them a whole lot, but I ain't quitting anything I'm a LIFE Member of. I'm hoping that Life Membership runs for a while yet. I might not even tell them of my death after I'm gone.

Larry: I sent you an email.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I've been a Life Member of the NRA since January 1966, but it isn't necessary to bite me. [:D]

I don't always agree with the NRA, and a couple of times I didn't agree with them a whole lot, but I ain't quitting anything I'm a LIFE Member of. I'm hoping that Life Membership runs for a while yet. I might not even tell them of my death after I'm gone.

Larry: I sent you an email.

My mom still gets stuff from the NRA for my dad, he's been dead 10 years.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    My mom still gets stuff from the NRA for my dad, he's been dead 10 years.

After I'm dead I probably won't admit it to myself. Why would I want to tell anybody else? As far as I know I might already be dead and just too stubborn to lay down.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    1Tinstar1Tinstar Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm also a long time member of the NRA and I belong to the GOA as well. I think I belong to another one, but for the life of me can't remember what it is! Getting old don't you know! What was I saying?! Oh yeah...I'll join pretty much any organization that will help to protect our 2nd. amendment rights. I don't like the fighting between these organizations, but I get it...They want the members that the other one has! I say get along and fight the good fight against the anti-gun nuts!
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are not perfect, but by far the most effective group out there. I am a life member
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    There has been plenty of anti 2nd amendment BS from the NRA since 1976. Try again.

If you need documentation there is plenty of information and references in old post right here on this site. There is no need to keep showing it to you, you will ignore it like always.

What is "reasonable and common sense" to the NRA, is liberty infringement BS to me.

Spout on TR spout on.

You mean that a 5 million member gun rights organization had the GALL to conduct their business in a way you personally don't agree with? How rude of them.

So please tell me what organization is good enough for you in the political fight for your 2A rights? You must have somebody you side with. Unless you are fighting Washington and your state, city and county all by yourself from outlawing your guns. Tell me what perfect gun rights organization you support and perhaps I can join up.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The NRA was started to further marksmanship in civilians- because a few wars had shown that the urban citizen made an inaccurate soldier, however it has been active in furthering gun rights well before the Cincinnati accords- I recall American Rifleman magazine articles in the late 50's early 60's regarding the erosion of gun rights as well as leaflets regarding the evils of gun registration.