In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'm going to get rotors tomorrow

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
and if it don't set me back to bad or take all dang day I'm gonna go buy that darn Para Hawg and if I do I will post pictures here
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do the rotors yourself, its easy and save you a ton of cash.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be looking forward to them pictures mogley.

Jon
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    and if it don't set me back to bad or take all dang day I'm gonna go buy that darn Para Hawg and if I do I will post pictures here

Maybe redundant ques. but are the rotors too shot to just get them turned?
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you do them yourself you can save some money....not hard and generally dont take to long either.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll love the hog

I used to have a hat with propellers on the top.[:o)]
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just done my f 350 dually today.....two new front rotors and pads doesn't take very long and its a little more involved on a dually than on single wheel.....i didn't even mess with turning them one was to far gone anyways .....two new rotors @ 65.00 each and the pads for 75.00
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    +1 on do it yourself saving money I just don't have the stuff to do it with, or the inclanation
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    What kind of vehicle are you working on?
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    What kind of vehicle are you working on?

Right if it is a Ford it is a breeze, But if you ain't got the inclination it's game over for us trying to talk you into it. I did one of my 95' F350s in about an hour.

cheaper and faster than waiting on a shop. Simple hand tools(couple sockets) and a 4 or 6" C clamp is all I needed.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    i just done my f 350 dually today.....two new front rotors and pads doesn't take very long and its a little more involved on a dually than on single wheel

What's different on the front of a dually? Heavier duty caliper? Air over boost?

Almost traded for a 01 4x4 yesterday,and try to do my own work on vehicles, don't want to get into that requires special tools.

(although I really don't need a reason for buying tools [V])

Allen
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Turning rotors is a waste of money. Around here it is $75 for a pair, I can buy new ones for like $40 each. I replace.

It couldn't be easier to do it yourself. Disk brakes are easy as pie. I got it down to 10 minutes/wheel. Make sure you soak them in brake cleaner (spray) before you start.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mog:
    Seriously, I can understand not having the want to, but go get yourself a couple of quotes on what they will charge you and that might help you find inspiration. I had a Ford F350 and the rotors and I was quoted $400 from one place and $515 from another. I ended up doing my self in about 6 hours.

When I put the drilled and slotted rotors on the Vette, I felt like a pro because I had already done it once before. Experience that will stay with you for years to come.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Did it myself the first time a few months ago. Getting the old rusted ones off is the hardest part. I replaced the caliper at the same time as while it might have been ok it was pretty shot looking and they weren't expensive. Hardest part after that was bleeding things.
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Disk brakes are easy as pie. I got it down to 10 minutes/wheel. Make sure you soak them in brake cleaner (spray) before you start.

Roger that!
    If it takes longer than 10, your doing something wrong or are drinking beer while you work [:D][;)]

My wife thinks it takes four guys and an hour to do it. [:D] I didn't tell her we'd been done for the last 50 min