In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FW-190...a thing of beauty!

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
When I see and hear these old planes, it makes my heart skip a beat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3tS7w_03Eg&feature=related

Comments

• Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the aircraft of my nick

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    You Nazis! [:D]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder how much one of those reproduction planes cost
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    CS8161....yes, an engineering marvel. The way the FW guys put that radial engine in the nose was a feat of first class planning. And were the Brits stunned when it appeared over England! Some think the best plane of WWII! The Ta 152 version could keep up with the best thrown at it on the Allied side, including the vaunted Mustang. Thanks for sharing[^][:)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Focke-Wolfe, called by the English "The Butcher Bird."

What an airplane.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Yep, there's something about the sound of a radial piston engine that just makes us old kids drop whatever we're doing. I love it!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gordon Liddy used to have a pretty interesting radio show.
    He loved to play the sound of the ME-109.

He would play the sound of it cranking up, and then idling.
    Fantastic!
    Then he played the sound of the Kraut Warbird making a flyby at 350mph.'
    That was great.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Real dogfighting hasn't existed since the mid-1940's, IMO. No jet will ever get my heart racing like the sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin, Pratt and Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp or BMW 801 does.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    That aircraft was running just above ground idle.... Shame that they can't BEAT'EM anymore..[V]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Yep, there's something about the sound of a radial piston engine that just makes us old kids drop whatever we're doing. I love it!

You'd love Akron Colorado during the National Radial Engine Exhibit. It's a big day for a litle town.

http://www.nationalradialengineexhibition.com/
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes at first they had one model of Engine but because this same engine was used in many other German planes. They decided on another more plentiful engine then the maker redesigned the Fuselage by adding 13 inches to the air frame in front of the wing.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always loved the WWII planes and after actual flying a T6 I've come respect the pilots from that time even more.

One of the best times I ever had
    [img][/img]B1895872.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father flew an airplane called a f4u corsair in the acific during WWII. What engine did that plane have?
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm lucky to live near Oshkosh so I go to the Fly-in most years. (Yes, I know it's the "Air Adventure" now !) Saw the Red Bull chopper loop a few years ago. THAT was cool !
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodhog
    My father flew an airplane called a f4u corsair in the acific during WWII. What engine did that plane have?

R-2800 I believe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Joe Drees

R-2800 I believe.

Yup. The Double Wasp, also known as "Whistling Death".
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic

R-2800 I believe.

Wasn't the Corsair known as the "Ensign Eliminator"?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

R-2800 I believe.

Sure was, because it took more hours to master than any other carrier aircraft at the time.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    i prefer the allison in the P51, the turbo badass.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet plane...of course im partial to navy birds...and in my opinion, the hell cat is where its at! The Gruman Ironworks knew how to build an airplane!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

R-2800 I believe.

Sure was, because it took more hours to master than any other carrier aircraft at the time.

Corsairs did not reach general fleet service until 1945 IIRC.

Mostly a land based fighter beloved by the Marines.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Sweet plane...of course im partial to navy birds...and in my opinion, the hell cat is where its at! The Gruman Ironworks knew how to build an airplane!

The F6F Hellcat was a great plane.

I watched the episode of "Dogfights : The Zero Killer"

Wow.

Ironworks indeed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PBJloaf

R-2800 I believe.

Corsairs did not reach general fleet service until 1945 IIRC.

Mostly a land based fighter beloved by the Marines.

April 1944, with the first U.S. unit being VMF-124. The Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm was the first to qualify them for carrier operations, though.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    quote:Yup. The Double Wasp, also known as "Whistling Death".

IIRC, the Japanese called it the "Whispering Death". May be wrong, though. Anyway, really liked the plane.
  • Options
    airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Super Corsair" F2G used a P&W R-4360 4-row 28 cylinder radial engine rated at 3000 HP. Only 10 of these aircraft were built.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The finest flying combat piston engine fighter of WWII superior to any other aircraft was the Focke Wulf 190 D-9.
    It was born out of necessity because the BMW engine plant had been so badly damaged they had airframes with nothing to install so the used the Jumo water cooled bomber engine and lengthened the nose delivered them with an apology.
    What the pilots discovered was everything that was great about a FW190A8 with all the weaknesses removed.

As it appeared so did the Me262 jet fighter and because that aircraft was superior to everything except take off and landing where it was extremely vulnerable and Tang boys tried to find the hives to jump them the D-9 Long Nose was assigned to protect those 262 bases and were a handful.

From the D-9 Kurt tank improved the design making the Ta-152 high altitude fighter (By now controlling Focke Wulf he changed the designation from FW to his own TA) which was superior to anything over 30K feet.

The big problem was by then a few neat superior designs could not dent the avalanche of P51s P47s etc the Krauts had to face.

The best handling plane ever was of course the Spitfire which could give an average pilot a good chance against a highly skilled bf109 pilot.

The Tang boy s use to say this about their P51Ds: "It can't do everything a Spitfire can but it can do it over Berlin"
    One Luftwaffe officer once said "The day I saw a P51 over Berlin I knew the jig was up"

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    bigboy12bigboy12 Member Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

R-2800 I believe.
    The Corsair did have a Pratt-Whitney R 2800 engine. I believe the P 47 had the same engine. The thing about the radial engines (oil/air cooled) is that they could take a real beating and keep on flying. Being an ex-Marine, I think the F4U Corsair is a thing of beauty as are any of the WWII planes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wulfmann
    The finest flying combat piston engine fighter of WWII superior to any other aircraft was the Focke Wulf 190 D-9.
    It was born out of necessity because the BMW engine plant had been so badly damaged they had airframes with nothing to install so the used the Jumo water cooled bomber engine and lengthened the nose delivered them with an apology.
    What the pilots discovered was everything that was great about a FW190A8 with all the weaknesses removed.

As it appeared so did the Me262 jet fighter and because that aircraft was superior to everything except take off and landing where it was extremely vulnerable and Tang boys tried to find the hives to jump them the D-9 Long Nose was assigned to protect those 262 bases and were a handful.

From the D-9 Kurt tank improved the design making the Ta-152 high altitude fighter (By now controlling Focke Wulf he changed the designation from FW to his own TA) which was superior to anything over 30K feet.

The big problem was by then a few neat superior designs could not dent the avalanche of P51s P47s etc the Krauts had to face.

The best handling plane ever was of course the Spitfire which could give an average pilot a good chance against a highly skilled bf109 pilot.

The Tang boy s use to say this about their P51Ds: "It can't do everything a Spitfire can but it can do it over Berlin"
    One Luftwaffe officer once said "The day I saw a P51 over Berlin I knew the jig was up"

Wulfmann
    While the D9 was an excellent airplane, I woulnd't say it was the best of the war. Certainly a contender for that title. However, Tank developed the D9 not because the BMW radials were unavailable- indeed radial versions of the 190 continued to be built- but because the Jumo offered superior altitutde performance, better zoom and dive characteristics, and overall made a better fighter. Which isn't to say it was superior overall; the D9 was inferior to the A versions with the radial engine in performance at medium to low altitutde, in maneuverability, and in rate of roll. Nor was its altitude performance on par with late war versions of the 109 (the 109 K-4 for instance had a top speed of 445 mph and a service ceiling of 41,000 feet, the D9 topped out at 39,500). With a top speed of 440 mph at altitutde it was a hair faster than the Mustang, but not crushingly so.

The 109d9's claim to fame was that it was a great all round fighter with no vices, not a 'good at one thing only' design.

On the Allied side, I would say the Supermarine Spiteful takes top honors as top performer, but it saw VERY limited use. The only slightly less capable Spitfire Mk XIV had a top speed of 448 mph and a service ceiling of 43,000 feet, better than the 190 or 109. Again, on paper; in practice, it was all pretty close, as most combat late in the war took place at low altitude, following the failure of the Luftwaffe to stop the bomber stream. As such, the Hawker Tempest and late model P-47s represented the biggest threat out there, built like tanks and very, very fast.

That said- as a balanced aircraft, the 190d9 should be on anyone's short list of best, it just isn't best without debate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    Gotta love the fat girls too[:D]One of my favs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThCD8YmmaE&feature=related
    P 47. One rugged old girl. Beautiful too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know and appreciate the fact that today's U. S. Airdales are the best in the world. They do a great job, but the old prop planes, whether fighters or bombers, are just so graceful. Can anyone today even imagine what it was like to go to war in a P 51, F4U, P 38, B 24, B 25 or any of the GREAT planes of the WWII era. My Grandfather was a top turret gunner on a B 17 and he was shot down over N. Italy in Feb 1944, possibly by a Wulf. Great thread.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I had a "step uncle" that was from Canada and flew Spits for the Brits. I asked him once which he feared more, the 190 or 109. He said that it didn't much matter. It was a matter of who was on whos tail. How one entered a dogfight was as important as the fight itself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ...I had a "step uncle" that was from Canada and flew Spits for the Brits. I asked him once which he feared more, the 190 or 109. He said that it didn't much matter. It was a matter of who was on whos tail. How one entered a dogfight was as important as the fight itself.
    Absolutely true. Not the crate but the fellow flying it- some WW1 ace said that, forget which one.

Also matters who gets the jump on whom. A Grumman Wildcat, a fairly poor performer (even if built like a brick poophouse), if he had altitude and caught a pilot of a much faster/better plane unawares, would stand a good chance at a victory in a diving bounce. Lots of German pilots went down to the guns of Hurricanes, Martlets, even Gladiators because of this fact. And of course on the other side of things, a lot of US and Brit pilots lost their lives because they were in the wrong place, wrong time, not because they were facing a technically superior oponent.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigboy12
    Gotta love the fat girls too[:D]One of my favs.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThCD8YmmaE&feature=related

The P-47 was the plane my grandfather flew and was shot down and killed over the invasion of Normandy on June 7Th 1944. It was reported that enemy fire shot him down but all the men who knew him told my family it was friendly fire from the navy ships off shore.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Duce1
    quote:Originally posted by bigboy12

The P-47 was the plane my grandfather flew and was shot down and killed over the invasion of Normandy on June 7Th 1944. It was reported that enemy fire shot him down but all the men who knew him told my family it was friendly fire from the navy ships off shore.

Strafing ground targets was the most dangerous of all the missions and cost a lot of lives of our airmen.....and the Brits too in their Typhoons and Tempests. My Dad's good friend flew a P47 and lost the tops of his fingers from a German Flak 38 at about 200' over France. Got home however but talked about it the rest of his life. The Germans put a lot of effort into AA work and they were very good at it, making it tough for our guys down at tree level.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...I can find beauty in any warbird...well, most any plane for that matter. Even the P-39 with the mid engine. Beautiful in its own strange way. My Dad's brother was killed in one while practicing ground strafing in 1944. I have grainy pics of the wreckage. This was after a couple air to air collisions and a wheels-up landing. He was a smart guy, but maybe should have been flying a desk.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good read. I love to see a war bird crank. Smoke and fire and the ground shakes.