In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why is Latinos an ethnicity?

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
I missed checking that box on my 4473. That got me wondering why they so special that they get their own section? Why couldn't they be happy being lumped in with the rest of the race?

Comments

• JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't you get the memo, Yosh?

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]
  • SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jorge

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]

Only if your a turd.
  • HooverTacticalHooverTactical Member Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Puerto Rican girls are hot

true story
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I've done my best to make Latinas feel welcome where ever I go....
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Ethnic groups first appeared on the 4473 form starting with the October, 2001 edition. Prior to that there was simply a blank space for the buyer to enter his or her race as he/she felt applied. As I understand it the BATF felt that Caucasian was too vague so they narrowed the field by provided specific groups which you MUST select. The instructions for Form 4473 specifically states that you must chose one of the ethnic groups provided, even if they may not apply to your specific circumstances. Since there is no mixed race category a mixed race buyer must decide then and there is they wish to be white or black or Asian, ect.! A decade ago this revision was quite controversial.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't argue John, but after 25 you better lock the refrig door!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Can't argue John, but after 25 you better lock the refrig door!

Not so, if Mrs Plink is any indication.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SWAT 50

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]

Only if your a turd.
    Ouch![:D][:D]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]

Only if your a turd.

Double ouch!

Some people have no humor.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    because it is part of our government plan to keep us segregated by race and promote minorities

scoff if you like, but there was a time when the "race" check mark was only 2 or 3, but now that doing that today would make white race not the majority, they must break down every race, why do you think "african Americans" remain 13% for the past 40 years

civil rights was a good move forward, but race should never have entered the picture, your ether AMERICAN or your not

the government helps in keeping the racist machine going
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got that white pointed hood on again? Got that gas can and cross ready??

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]

Only if your a turd.
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Ethnic groups first appeared on the 4473 form starting with the October, 2001 edition. Prior to that there was simply a blank space for the buyer to enter his or her race as he/she felt applied. As I understand it the BATF felt that Caucasian was too vague so they narrowed the field by provided specific groups which you MUST select. The instructions for Form 4473 specifically states that you must chose one of the ethnic groups provided, even if they may not apply to your specific circumstances. Since there is no mixed race category a mixed race buyer must decide then and there is they wish to be white or black or Asian, ect.! A decade ago this revision was quite controversial.

The question on the last form 4473's actually stated "check one or more boxes", Buyer could actually check a couple differant ones for their "race".

What kills me on this new one it has ethnicity, Hispanic or not hispanic, and you have to pick one or the other. Then question 10B asks "race". IT says "check one or more boxes", Hispanic is not a choice anymore like it was on the older forms.

So what is a 100% hispanic supposed to check for Race????

I think they may have screwed up and not thought this through when they designed the forms. What are your thoughts?
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked non Hispanic since they haven't washed up in Japan yet and started mixing [:D]. No Okinawa don't count.

So I guess Hispanic is a base to the mix into the "color" pallet.

Either case I'll need to read the silly thing and not rely on memory [:D].
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I had a lady filling out the 4473 and she checked every box on question 10. I read each box checked to the NICS and they repeated them back to me. Lady got a proceed and walked out with her pistol.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my customers(a guy I'd known for years) checked "American Indian" or whatever that ethnic is on the form. I looked at him kind of funny and he just grinned and said "my greatgrandmother was part Cherokee and what diff does it make anyway". O K
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty soon all the races will be mixed and the one and only box on the form will be [] Earth People [;)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

BROWN IS THE NEW WHITE.

[^]

Jorge, tell them how sick you are if your turds come out white [B)][:)]

Only if your a turd.