In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 drop in grip safety

txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
I have an inexpensive 1911 and I wanted to put a drop in beavertail grip safety on it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one that easily installs and is a good one as well?

I saw one that is made by John Masen over on the auction side, does anyone have an opinion about his safety?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the Masen.

Just be careful you dont get one where you need to widen the tang for it to fit, unless thats what you want, but then you need a jig for the best cut. For a perfect tang/safety fit, those types are the best.

Try the Wilson Combat, easy to install and has a pretty good fit w/the tang (not a huge gap)...I dont think any brand will just "drop-in", though there is not anything to installing one, as long as you DON'T get one that you need to cut the tang to fit, lots more work but a "no gap" fit if done properly...ie; Ed Brown BT.

A small fine file and some fine grit paper, or just some fine grit paper (#400 or finer) wrapped tight around a file, to fit it to the trigger bow properly.

*Just take a LITTLE at a time off the top side/back of the notch at the very end that engages the back of the trigger bow for a good working safety/tang fit.

Be careful of taking anything off the TOP of the end of the safety or you may get an early sear release, not good...[;)]

* AFTER you check it first for fit of course.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Masen looks like a drop-in I have. I had it in a Auto- Ord I had. Just had to fit it to the trigger bow. Worked good.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at Brownells. They have a bunch of grip safties with some drop in ones.

www.brownells.com
  • Options
    restoreguyrestoreguy Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whichever make you purchase, be sure it has a very prominent "speed bump" on it. The "speed bump" will increase the chances that the grip safety will disengage more often than not.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my Scoremaster came with a factory beaver tail installed but I wanted to put the Ed Brown with the "Memory Groove". When I installed it, there was a gap left from the factory one ground the frame for their install.

On my Ed Brown tinkered Colt I removed the beaver tail and installed the Ed Brown's "Memory Groove" and it was a drop in install.

So I'm wondering who made your 1911? If it's blued you may have to re-blue it after grinding the frame to fit the beaver tail. Wilson and Ed Brown has "jigs" for their beaver tails so I recon you'll need to grind the frame to install theirs.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    On my Scoremaster came with a factory beaver tail installed but I wanted to put the Ed Brown with the "Memory Groove". When I installed it, there was a gap left from the factory one ground the frame for their install.

On my Ed Brown tinkered Colt I removed the beaver tail and installed the Ed Brown's "Memory Groove" and it was a drop in install.

So I'm wondering who made your 1911? If it's blued you may have to re-blue it after grinding the frame to fit the beaver tail. Wilson and Ed Brown has "jigs" for their beaver tails so I recon you'll need to grind the frame to install theirs.

It is a IAC Regent from Turkey. I just don't care for the grip safety thats on it.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wilson makea a drop-in in blue or stainless. Top Gu Supply has then for $35.95