In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Email: How To Get Copies of Military Records

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited September 2004 in General Discussion
Getting Records of Military Personnel or Others

In need of your service record? An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse, or children).

Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address. The St. Louis Center receives many requests for service records each week, so a request will be processed with greater speed and accuracy if the requester uses a Standard Form 180, "Request Pertaining to Military Records". If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. You may submit more than one request per envelope or fax, but submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.
Send by Mail: National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Send by Fax: 314-801-9195.

The Center will respond in writing by U.S. Mail.

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce
Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all retiring servicemen are intructed to copy their entire record prior to surrendering it to PSD/ADMIN on discharge. VA strongly suggests this too, to include the medical and dental record. my only question hairy, is why did you post this? for FYI use?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Some of the members' family members are getting up in years and they may want to get a copy of the military records for family historical purposes.

Only an FYI post.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" - Bishop Desmond Tutu

• idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People lose their records all the time. I've used that address plenty. People ask me for that information all the time for the specific reason that HAIRY mentioned.
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where can you get the forms or do you have to write to St. Louis to get them?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein
    edited November -1
    Bluegoose11: Try this link for a PDF file:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records/standard_form_180.html#sf

Good luck.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" - Bishop Desmond Tutu

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    wow thank you hairy.i'm gonna get my deseased grandfathers WWII records

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    1USAirForce.gifdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hairy not only did you give me the information I needed but you made a post short enough that made me want to read it [:D][:D] keep up the interesting posts

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein
    edited November -1
    You're more than welcome, Bluegoose11. [:D]

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
  • rswolffrswolff Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny, I just found a list of names and addresses of my grandfather's military company. And had been searching the internet trying to find someone still living to give me some more info as to what he did. He was in WWII in the 42nd Infantry that freed the Dachau concentration camp.

Thanks again...
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Replacement service medals are available also. I requested my late father's a few weeks ago.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This process takes A LONG TIME, but you will get your records eventually. I requested mine about a year and a half ago and it took about 4 months for a response. Don't bother trying to call - no one EVER answers at the archives.

"Roma locuta est, causa finita est."
  • rswolffrswolff Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think someone already asked this, but can I just fax a request and maybe a copy of my grandfather's discharge papers, or must I request a form first?

Thanks