In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wolf Ammo problem

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in General Discussion
From the Experts forum:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=205532

quote:Originally posted by dkidcat
Anybody else had this problem? I've got a batch of 7.62 X 39mm that exhibits punctured primers about 2 per box of 50 using three diferent guns.

I'm not going to buy it again unless I find out that this is a known issue that they are fixing.

I thought perhaps the Wolf fans might like to discuss this at length.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    jackson231jackson231 Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    better him than me[:D]
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    judging from the latest prices at sportsmansguide, Wolf is slowly creeping up on the American brass ammo in price.
    .45 already costs about as much as Winchester white box and CCI blazer

BTW. is CCI blazer any good? To me and aluminum case seems like a dumber idea than a mild steel one. Anyone have experience with those?
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like any Wolf Ammo. I think the CCI aluminim stuff works just fine.

Aluminum is close to brass in hardness, definitely better than steel. The key to reliable interaction of metals for proper extraction is the different coefficient of thermal expansion of brass or aluminum as compared to steel.

Having brass or aluminum as the case material creates such a differential and it keeps cases from sticking in the chamber. Wolf used to coat their steel cases in lacquer to help ease extraction, but the lacquer gummed up weapons(my AR-15s especially).
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Odds are greater this is a gun problem instead of an ammo issue.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:KSUmarksman

USA
    699 Posts
    Posted - 06/30/2006 : 11:24:08 AM

judging from the latest prices at sportsmansguide, Wolf is slowly creeping up on the American brass ammo in price.
    .45 already costs about as much as Winchester white box and CCI blazer

BTW. is CCI blazer any good? To me and aluminum case seems like a dumber idea than a mild steel one. Anyone have experience with those?

There's nothing wrong with Blazer ammo, except the obvious which is you can't reload it, but if you want to save a few bucks and you don't reload anyway, nothing wrong with it at all.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE BERDAN PRIMER IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD FOR MILITARY APPLICATION. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS OF WOLF HAS PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY IN THE WEAPONS IT IS DESIGNED FOR.

There is nothing wrong with Wolf ammo. It is better now with the new poly coating than ever.

There are several guys onboard who resent Russian sales cutting into their profits, so they post a topic like this in their never ending battle raise their share of 7.62x39 sales, but American made ammo costs twice as much or more.

For instance, you can get really good, reliable and powerful Makarov ammo from Wolf, Barnaul or LVE in Russia for less than $6.00 a box of 50. AMEICAN EAGLE by FEDERAL Makarov RANGE AMMO costs $18.00 a box of 50!! The Blazer is better range ammo and costs $12.00.

I don't want to be bothered reloading 9x18 any more than .22 cal.
    Blazer is on the right track to compete with the Russian. There's a growing market for Makarov.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i do not work for wolf ammo, i still will not shoot the stuff, while some of you may find it perfectly acceptable to have an "occasional" problem, i do not, and i certainly will not stick some cheap * steel case ammo in a two thousand dollar gun, as far as the military using it, go ahead use the lowest bidder for comparison all you want, just remember what the ammo has to do to pass in the military

allot of you would not use this ammo if it is what you had to use to put food on your table, but still find it perfectly acceptable to defend your life with{lol}
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to me the only real problem with Wolf ammo is that it is Wolf ammo.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the case Lacquer or Polymer coated?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    Is the case Lacquer or Polymer coated?

The older issue Wolf has the lacquer coat. The newly designed and recently released Wolf military style has replaced the laquer with a polymer coating that performs much better cycling and is cleaner, by far, than lacquer.
    The new issue is just now becoming available in the U.S. Wolf has also introduced a brass-cased, boxer primed, reloadable line called "Wolf Gold Line".