In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? For all you intellects-

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
How far does a car travel per rotation of the tires? You say "Simple"- It's the circumference of the tire. Not so quick-
If I have tires that have diameter 37" on by truck, the circumference of those tires is 37" x Pi, 3.14 is close enough for this question. So the circumference is a little over 116". So one answer is that the truck goes 116" everytime the tire makes one revolution.

But unless I have the tires severely overinflated, the tire sidewall is pressed down by the weight of the truck. The radius of the tire is .5 of the diameter, so a 37" diameter has an 18.5" radius. At normal pressures, the portion of the tire that is on the ground is pushed toward the center of the tire, thus reducing the radius by about 1.5". Since this distance remains constant as the truck moves, then the effective diameter is 34", which result in a circumference of about 106 3/4". So another answer is that the weight of the truck results in reduced tire diameter, so the truck travels about 10" less than the first measurement.

So which did you choose as the correct answer?

If you chose #1, Please answer this: How can a tire with actual radius between the axle and ground of 17" gain the additional distance?

If you chose #2, Please answer this: If the car only travels the distance of the effective radius- what happens to the other ten inches of tire tread?

Comments

• Options
    jc_crazyhorsejc_crazyhorse Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Math....... I out.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    It doesn't matter that there is a flat spot in the circumferance of the tire because the tire tread surface will not change. You can take the same tire and cube it, or octagon it and the flat spots will mean nothing. Its all about the tread surface.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also take into effect the fact that the tire narrows and the diameter increases with speed. - Centrifugal force.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just chalk a line on the tire and road and drive the care forward until the mark is back on the road and then measure the distance. That would be my scientific method of calculating the answer. Then I might take the same tire and marks and drive the car forward ten revolutions so I would get a good average.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    it is the tires on the passenger side of the vehicle rotate clockwise as the vehicle operates in a forward motion and the drivers side tires rotate counter-clockwise as the vehicle operates in the same direction. [;)] ha
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You also have to think about the driver. Is he a 600lber or a 200lber?
    If he is a 600lber I think the flat spot in your equation will be a little bigger.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the ambient temperature outside the tire, also the internal temperature, which rises with use.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The car will travel a mile regardless of how many turns the tires make. A mile is a mile. Now get a woman and some real problems. Don
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ideally a tire is completely round, like when a car is jacked up in the air and there is no weight on the tires; but when you let the car down, the weight on the axle pushes down, and since the tires are flexible air-inflated rubber, instead of something completely rigid like an iron disk, they flex.

the inconsistency regarding circumference of the two models is resolved when you understand that the extra material of the rubber tire is displaced outwards from where the tread contacts the ground.

the entire tread still has the same circumference, but now the contact area with the ground is flat; the shape of the rest of the tire tread resembles an ellipsoid. the tread near the ground is pushed outwards, while the top part of tread hasn't flexed and is still mostly round.

when such a tire rolls, the part near the ground and in front if the direction of rotation gets sucked underneath the tire, becomes flat as the ground, and has flexed into a different shape. the part near the ground and behind the direction of rotation rotates upwards, unflexes, and becomes round. it's now on top.

al this constant flexing and unflexing is what makes tires get hot. when your tire gets low on air, the effect is exaggerated and your tire may fail mechanically.

a diagram would make the explanation much more easy to understand. but that's the explanation.

quote:choice #1
    Please answer this: How can a tire with actual radius between the axle and ground of 17" gain the additional distance?

it's got extra material schmushed outwards near where the tread contacts the ground. you will find that if you roll the car far enough to make 1 complete revolution according to a mark on the tire(to 'gain the additional distance'), the discrepancy between that and the circumference for an ideal disk with a diameter of 17" is the length of actual tread that is out of round.

quote:choice #2
    Please answer this: If the car only travels the distance of the effective radius- what happens to the (remaining length) of tire tread?
    it hasn't come all the way around yet. put a mark on the tire and a corresponding mark on the ground, roll the car as far as you said, then put a mark on the ground at tht point. then take a tape measure from that point on the ground and measure along the front of the tire and around until you get to the first mark on the tire. that can be used to measure the discrepancy. that isn't the discrepancy, but it is what you would use to figure it. since you said "the car only travelled the effective raduis", you would have to set up an equation to do that figuring I was talking about, but that's how you solve it and I'll leave it up to you to set up the equation.
  • Options
    swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The length or circumference of the tread on the tire is the distance that the car is going to travel in one revolution. Whether you flatten that tread out on the ground, or keep it in a perfectly round configuration is of no relevence in the amount of pavement it is going to cover as it is rolled along the ground. You do, however have to mark a spot on the edge of the tread from which to have a start or stop reference when measuring as it is obvious that you have more area on the ground at any given time than just the exact referenced starting measurement spot.
    To put it another way let's look at this. Take a tape measure and loup it around in a twenty inch or so circle. the length of the tape is obviously twenty inches at that point. Now take it and stand the edge on a table top. If you push down on it until the bottom is flattened out to represent the tire tread under load, is it not still twenty inches long? Now, if you mark the spot on the table where it begins it's loup, then roll it one complete revolution while keeping the bottom flattened against the table, it has still traveled 20 inches. Thus, your answer is found.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    My head hurts now.So much for trying to pass myself off as an intellect.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much wood could a woodchuck chuck.......
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    How far does a car travel per rotation of the tires?The same distance no matter what the load, inflation, ambient temperature, tire temperature, etc. Otherwise you'd have to constantly recalibrate your speedometer as these changed.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Your #2 formula is correct. Call the manufacturer of your tire. They will have a "rolling radius" for the tire. The rolling radius is the radius of the tire at maximum air pressure and at full rated load.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:jabronij3:

it is the tires on the passenger side of the vehicle rotate clockwise as the vehicle operates in a forward motion and the drivers side tires rotate counter-clockwise as the vehicle operates in the same direction.

I like your explaination the best - there's a lot there to reflect upon![:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    The car will travel a mile regardless of how many turns the tires make. A mile is a mile. Now get a woman and some real problems. Don
    Excellent[:D]response[:D]
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Native Americans believed there are some things best left unpondered.[;)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any distance a tire rotates successfully under inflation without blowing out from the tons of GD junk on the average road is the really correct answer
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The correct answer is to take lip stick and make a wide mark on the tire. Drive it for 30 feet. Stop and measure the distance between the marks. All the math is taken out of the equation. Deflectional influences are negated.
  • Options
    drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok brain, I dont like you and you dont like me.....[:D]--homer simpson
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses- seems I need to get some chalk or lipstick; but with 3' of snow on the truck and whatever its packed down to on the road, it will be a month or two before I can complete the project.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Considering the current road conditions, my truck actually travels negative distance for every forward rotation of the rear tires (more accurately, the rear right tire, damn open differential).
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    take a rubber band...when you hold it in the air it is round set it on edge and it has a flat spot but, the rubber band doesn't get smaller it still has the same circumference...a tire is the same at the minimum ...like a balloon it can be over inflated and gain circumference but it has a minimum size
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    And the ambient temperature outside the tire, also the internal temperature, which rises with use.

I agree with cubslovers. You ever ran 37" tires down the highway at 55mph? I think you may actually get increased tire diameter....inches per revolution at highway speeds.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't matter whether the tire shape is somewhat altered by the weight of the vehicle or the motion and momentum. If the tread length is 116 inches, the truck will travel 116 inches every time the tire completes a full revolution, if there is no slippage. Tread length equals the circumference of the tire. Stretching of the tread could alter the tread length, but condidering the way truck tires are belted in the manufacturing process, actual stretching is infinitesimal.