In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody elses job depend on the weather?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
I dont think I will be working (or at least for money) tomorrow if the weather report is right.

They are calling for dense fog on the coast. If there is fog in the morning, I will miss the slack tide and cant haul the traps I want. The day will be shot.

Oh well, fixing up a camper for a hunting camp inland in my days off.

NewRuger.jpg

Comments

• tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep.
    Ususally when it rains, we get pretty slow. Or if there's a cold spell. This year has been very slow overall though. I see from the other "auto mechanics" post that it's not limited to me.
    I'm a motorcycle mechanic by the way. No, not real motorcycles! Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha.
    Ya know, that money thing is over-rated anyway!
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    nope. rain, shine, sleet, snow....it doesnt matter. when the bell goes off, the doors go up and the trucks go out

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Only when Hell freezes over. My wife says that's when I don't have to work.[}:)]
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I'm a building inspector, structural and roofing.
    When it rains, as it did today in So. FL, a lot of inspections get cancelled, and others simply can not be performed.

Rain makes for a light workload. I get paid no matter. But once it clears, I'm busy as heck.

What really blows is the summer with the humidity.
    The sun is a killer.[xx(]
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im a baseball umpire so when it rains im out 30 to 55 bucks

"Were not here for a long time were here for a good time"
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Only in that, when we get severe thunderstorm or tornado warnings, I gotta haul my buns down to the radio station and monitor it. In case of a tornado actually being spotted in our listening area, I've gotta get word out about storm shelters and the like. It's pretty exciting at the time, but since I get up at 3:45 AM, it can mean some long-assed days. Still, I'll take it over the job I had setting mobile homes. That was work, man. And we did it in a lot of crappy weather.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ready, set, skydive! not.
    cant paint in the rain.
    cant roof in the rain.
    cant garden in the rain.
    cant shoot skeet in the rain.
    cant refinish furniture in the rain.
    cant tag sale in the rain.
    cant mow grass in the rain.

man, who said retired life is it?[:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did commercial roofing for 16 years. Contract division doesn't do much at all in the rain but the maintenance division gets most of their calls on rain days.

Over the years, I discovered that the national weather service forcast as provided to radio stations was generally not very reliable. I would watch The Weather Channel without sound and draw my own conclusions from the surface maps.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ran an airport and parachute center for 25 years and was held captive by the weather.

Now I retired to a life of farming and still held captive by the weather.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Only parts... the good parts... I am a real estate appraiser so the inspections get put off when it is raining... now I am stuck in the office doing paper work [xx(]

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    NO, the Army trains everyday, rain or shine!!! [:p]

NSDQ!
    www.nightstalkers.com

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg
    DropRopes.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rain and snow sure makes my job more difficult,seems people dont know to slow down in inclement weather conditions.So we often log accident after accident.

Because!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope. I'm retired and the only thing that effects my job is weather I want to do it or weather not.
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep
    If you like the idea of living dont climb a communication
    tower in a thunderstorm. Rain also makes the steel very slick.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm an Excavator,Usually get rain days off. Work most of the year but slow way down in the winter months {lay-off sometimes}. Drive truck some when its slow and do some mechanical work. I Never run equipment when there is Lightning.

Ruric, NE OHIO,
  • Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rugster
    Rain and snow sure makes my job more difficult,seems people dont know to slow down in inclement weather conditions.
    Heavy snows, ice take me off the roads. Dispatch would like it if I chained up and kept on going but if the roads are bad enough to use chains, then that means their bad enough for me to park it. There's too many idiots that DO NOT know how to drive in good weather, much less inclement weather. [:0]

If it looks like it's gonna be a long wait until the weather clears, I'll find me a nice quiet bar and enjoy a few cold ones. Then I'll wait until the next day and let the road crews get the roads open and the other traffic gets rolling. Let them beat up the ice on the roads. That way by the time I get rolling, the roads are usually clear or at least pretty decent.

Heavy downpours take me off the road until they let up some.