In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kids and guns?

sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
I don't know how most people do it, but as my boys grew up I kept them around firearms every chance I could. From the time they would start walking I would strap a handgun (unloaded of course), on their side and let them carry them around. When I was in the military I had them with me in the arms room every chance I could get. They loved playing with the different weapons. I always instilled the dangers, but I also figured if I let them play and handle them often it would take the curiosity out of handling them when I wasn't around. They knew the guns were mine and they repected the fact that I didn't want them to handle them when I wasn't around. Today they are all grown up and are very safe with them. I was just wondering if anyone else did this, or did they hide them from the kids, and pushed a stearn don't touch my gun way of teaching?

Comments

• Options
    300Win_Mag300Win_Mag Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned the same way that you taught your boys by my grandfather. He instilled respect for them in me and taught me everything I know. If I had a question he answered it. If I wanted to shoot something, we went to the range and he let me shoot it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did that too. If they wanted to shoot it, that was fine. Of course being an Army gunsmith, maintenance was important, so they also got excellent training on care and maintenance, disasssembly and assembly.
  • Options
    spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came to guns late (was over 25 before I ever fired anything other than an airgun). But my nieces are almost old enough that I could introduce them to fire-arms. I'm working my sisters......we'll see where that goes.
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I have guns all around the house and it's pretty much a hands off
    policy..until they're ready. There's no curiosity thing there, as
    we also have knives all over, and have been known to let them learn
    when we say don't touch, it means don't touch. My youngest girl, when
    about 3-4yrs just had to try touching one after being told not to
    got a tiny cut, but enough to learn the "don't touch".
    Now, at 8, she's not deathly afraid of knives but treats them with
    much respect.
  • Options
    warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take umbrage with your use of the word "play." Guns are not toys, they are not to be "played" with by children. If you want your children to handle them responsibly in the presence of yourself or another adult, as tools to be respected and feared, than that is fine, but I certainly wouldn't hand a young child an unloaded handgun and say "here you go son, go nuts."
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    I was brought up shooting my dads .357 Python and .270 Weatherby since I can remember. I always was safe and respected them when my parents weren't at home.

I have two little girls so I'm approaching it a bit different. I took my 9 year old out shooting for the first time since she has always been timid. She liked it but wasn't to crazy about it.

My 6 year old is extremely spunky and wild and crazy . So I let her shoot that .45 Colt Defender right from the start. I wanted to make a impression on how serious firearms could hurt someone. Well I wrapped my hands around hers and sat with her between my legs and she let go of a round. It kicks pretty good for a kid, so she jumped back and looked at me with wide eyes, then it slowly turned into the biggest cheesiest grin I have seen. I have never been prouder as I was at that moment.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    I take umbrage with your use of the word "play." Guns are not toys, they are not to be "played" with by children. If you want your children to handle them responsibly in the presence of yourself or another adult, as tools to be respected and feared, than that is fine, but I certainly wouldn't hand a young child an unloaded handgun and say "here you go son, go nuts."

Sorry, I did, but they were never allowed to point them at anyone. They were supervised as well. I guess you could look at it like I did. An unloaded firearm is a mechanical tool. You probably played with a pair of pliers when you were a kid, both could pinch the heck out of you, but you learn as you grow. And at the early age I started them handling firearms, they weren't strong enough to pull the hammer back let alone squeeze the trigger. As they grew they learned.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1

I don't think kids should be taugh to "fear" a firearm, but definately should be taught to respect them. I grew up the same way as sarge. There are always lots of guns around here and I'll teach my daughter the same way I was, though at only 2 I feel she's a bit to young to fully comprehend any lessons I could teach just yet. She won't be taught to fear them though. Like my dad always said about snakes, you don't have to be scared of them but you better respect them.

Ben
  • Options
    Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a wee lad I was always interested in guns and my parents never discouraged me from that interest. They made sure that I was aware about the dangers and seriousness of guns. Today I'd say I'm one of the safest people with a gun that I know.

Kudos to parents like you guys that encourage responsible gun handling. [^]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    my oldest daughter, now 6, has been going shooting with me for the past 2 years and I've been instilling gun saftey to her and her sister, now 2, sence they began crawling. One of the things that I do with the oldest is when we go out for a hike she carries a rubberband rifle, it's light so she'll carry it and during the hike I can keep reminding her to keep the barrel in a safe direction, keep her finger off the trigger, Ect... The girl is getting pretty good at tracking game now too[8D], there is nothing better than when my little girl ask me to open up the safe so I can show her the guns, she loves the story that goes with each one
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My kids have been around guns all their lives. They do not have any curiossity about them, and really don't even think about them untill I say it is time to go shooting.

They are pretty good when it comes to the saftey rules (every now and then I have to remind them about something (mostly my 6yo boy)). And they even try to remind me about some of the rules (biggest one they remind me of is ear protection, They always wear it but I have to admit I don't allways wear my ears, and they let me know)(And I know some of you will jump on me for even admitting this!)

Both my kids have their own guns and my daughter is getting another for christmas (she just has to have a pink gun [xx(] But hey thats what she wants) they are not the best shots yet but are working on it.

But most important, they enjoy guns, and understand what they can and will do if the rules are not followed. And I do not feel uncomfortable with loaded guns in the house. I do not leave them sitting out in the livingroom or anything, but they are right out in the open in my bedroom. And They don't even pay them any attention.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With our kids, when I was going shooting, kids came. Wanna shoot? Sure! Youngest daughter really liked the 1911- at age 10. Wanna touch without asking? REALLY not a good idea. Approach worked well for us. When oldest grandson was 10, daughter brought him by one weekend- and asked me to start teaching him to use a firearm safely and effectively. He is now on his second tour. Seriously- we always treated firearms like sharp tools- Learn to use them correctly, or they can harm you or others. Figured while I COULD just lock up everything I own, there would be other folks, other houses that did not do same, so we were better teaching kids basic firearm handling manners. Seems to have worked for us.[:)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    My kids have been around guns all their lives. They do not have any curiossity about them, and really don't even think about them untill I say it is time to go shooting.

They are pretty good when it comes to the saftey rules (every now and then I have to remind them about something (mostly my 6yo boy)). And they even try to remind me about some of the rules (biggest one they remind me of is ear protection, They always wear it but I have to admit I don't allways wear my ears, and they let me know)(And I know some of you will jump on me for even admitting this!)

Both my kids have their own guns and my daughter is getting another for christmas (she just has to have a pink gun [xx(] But hey thats what she wants) they are not the best shots yet but are working on it.

But most important, they enjoy guns, and understand what they can and will do if the rules are not followed. And I do not feel uncomfortable with loaded guns in the house. I do not leave them sitting out in the livingroom or anything, but they are right out in the open in my bedroom. And They don't even pay them any attention.

Kevin has kids?!?! Now THAT'S scary! [:D][:D][:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

Kevin has kids?!?! Now THAT'S scary! [:D][:D][:D][;)]
    I'll tell you what is even scarrier! My son is a JR.

If he ends up anything like me growing up he ain't gunna live to see his 18th birthday![;)][:o)][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Same here with my kids - daughter is now 21 and has 2 rifles of her own and wants a nice little revolver. My 16 year old boy has always shown great responsibility and has 3 shotguns and 1 rifle (sks) and a revolver. He collects knives/swords himself (Ok- I might have helped a little[:D]) I'd trust him at my back anytime. I always told them they were trusted with these tools and let them shoot whatever they wanted supervised. Good post Sarge!!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I taught my boy the same way. By taking the mystery out of the equation, you remove the curiosity.

He had access to his rifle (.22 Chipmunk) from 5 years, but only if I was present.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sarge, it seems like common sense to me. It should also apply to automobiles, farm machinery, shop tools, swimming pools and computers.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    gunoperatorgunoperator Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always Remember, The children that hang around with your own children may not have been taught to respect and handle firearms. Avoid this TRAGEDY!!!!!
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I got my first "real" gun, a Beretta .410 shotgun when I was 5.

...My daughter was raised around guns of course too.

...now I am teaching the safe handling, etc., etc., shooting of firearms to my grand kids...the oldest is 9 now, and he has been "learning" about guns for about 2 years or so now...the beat goes on...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does this tell you[;)].

M1Garand0013.jpg
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up with a toy gun in one hand and a real one in the other. Yes and I was taught the difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    I don't know how most people do it, but as my boys grew up I kept them around firearms every chance I could. From the time they would start walking I would strap a handgun (unloaded of course), on their side and let them carry them around. When I was in the military I had them with me in the arms room every chance I could get. They loved playing with the different weapons. I always instilled the dangers, but I also figured if I let them play and handle them often it would take the curiosity out of handling them when I wasn't around. They knew the guns were mine and they repected the fact that I didn't want them to handle them when I wasn't around. Today they are all grown up and are very safe with them. I was just wondering if anyone else did this, or did they hide them from the kids, and pushed a stearn don't touch my gun way of teaching?

My daughter has grown up with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Your point is well taken; introducing children to guns is definitely an endeavor that needs to be taken seriously so that the child understands (or at least appreciates) the risks involved and knows enough not to play with fire-arms unsupervised.

But frankly, all of my guns are toys. None of them is routinely in a condition to be useful in a self-defense situation (I may one day remedy that, but I haven't yet done so). And although I think I would enjoy hunting, I do not do so and won't do so until I'm invited by somebody more experienced, who can show me the ropes. When I am shooting I am playing, as safely as I can, given the nature of the toys.

Many of our recreational activities come with considerable risk: gambling, football, model rockets, rock climbing, shooting, ice-skating, and driving to a favorite vacation destination all come with the potential to cause a person serious harm. That fact does nothing to diminish (and may even enhance) the pleasure we feel when engaging in these activities.

Your point is good: let's not be flippant about how we introduce children to guns. My point is simply that although guns are tools, they can be used as toys, and like many other toys they have the potential to be injurious. Why put guns in a different class?
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad

Dad did reletivly the same thing with me
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spurgemastur
    Your point is well taken; introducing children to guns is definitely an endeavor that needs to be taken seriously so that the child understands (or at least appreciates) the risks involved and knows enough not to play with fire-arms unsupervised.

But frankly, all of my guns are toys. None of them is routinely in a condition to be useful in a self-defense situation (I may one day remedy that, but I haven't yet done so). And although I think I would enjoy hunting, I do not do so and won't do so until I'm invited by somebody more experienced, who can show me the ropes. When I am shooting I am playing, as safely as I can, given the nature of the toys.

Many of our recreational activities come with considerable risk: gambling, football, model rockets, rock climbing, shooting, ice-skating, and driving to a favorite vacation destination all come with the potential to cause a person serious harm. That fact does nothing to diminish (and may even enhance) the pleasure we feel when engaging in these activities.

Your point is good: let's not be flippant about how we introduce children to guns. My point is simply that although guns are tools, they can be used as toys, and like many other toys they have the potential to be injurious. Why put guns in a different class?

Remember Lawn Darts? [:D]

warriorsfan is going to find a way to disagree with anybody about anything, but then he's a Warriors Fan. I can understand how that would make anybody disagreeable and grouchy. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by spurgemastur

Remember Lawn Darts? [:D]

warriorsfan is going to find a way to disagree with anybody about anything, but then he's a Warriors Fan. I can understand how that would make anybody disagreeable and grouchy. [:D]

Lawn darts....excellent example (we called them Jarts, but I think that was a brand name). Then again, as a kid we played 'peggy' with pocket knives. The idea was to throw the knife into the ground as close to the other guy's foot as you could get it. If he flinched, you won. And if you hit him, well.....that never happened to us but I guess he would have won. Wait...that's adult logic. I have no idea who would have won if the other guy had gotten hit, because I'm no longer seven years old; funny, we never considered that outcome!

Edit: Honestly, that story came out naturally and was not intended as a fable. But re-reading it, I see that it illustrates why it is so important to introduce children to guns very carefully: children do not, as a matter of course, consider the consequences of their actions.

....but this does not change the fact that all of my guns are toys!