In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silencer build

legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
edited November 2009 in General Discussion
I found this video the guy gives info (in the message area) on what forms to fill out with the batfe to make and sell them. I have talked to the batfe about building one for myself, but to sell I thought you had to have a license. This is what he says, is it true?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFY0aHftVHg

oh, no. you dont have to be a class 2 and by the way a class 3 just sells and transfers them. but anyway, what i did was, i just basically put these supressors on a form 1 and you can manufactor them yourself without a license. the only reason why yo would want a class 2 license is because you would be going into a business that is up for more than 5 years! i am not going to do that. so i just put it on a form 1 and transfer it to whomever! BTW, dont feel pressured to as me questions.

37 of them are registered with the batfe and have been serialized and the 4 others are pending acceptance! i found out i've made 41 of them. I sold 31 of them for ar15's (legally transfered of course) i have made exactly 6000 dollars so far and im expecting to make more! the supressors i built have for the ar15 reduce 90 to 95 decibels WITH FULL POWER AMMUNTION from black hills. it actually sounds like an unsupressed 10/22 with subsonic ammo. with the supressor, it only makes 35 decibels!

Comments

• Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    NICE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i understand that there is a $200 tax payable to register them in the u.s.a. but for the life of me i can`t understand why they are so expensive to buy there.
  • Options
    SwampwoodSwampwood Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do believe that man knows his stuff[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:dan kelly Posted - 11/01/2009 : 02:45:07 AM
    i understand that there is a $200 tax payable to register them in the u.s.a. but for the life of me i can`t understand why they are so expensive to buy there.

I agree. I wont say ive ever built one myself[}:)] but its just pipe with washers inside +/-. Buy one for a 5.56 and it will run ya $400+...NUTS
  • Options
    SwampwoodSwampwood Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me a need a new flash suppressor[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Swampwood Posted - 11/01/2009 : 03:21:52 AM
    Reminds me a need a new flash suppressor

Same here. Ive even priced the welder on fleebay
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    legear, yep crazy!

there`s a shop in new zealand i often check out, thay are around $100 there...even less if your talking u.s.$. and they can be bought over the counter, no restrictions on them, they make an excellent over the barrel one too. their .30 calibre is amazing, a 308 sounds no louder than a .22 long rifle round without a suppresor[8D]

the manafacturers in the u.s.a. are ripping you off big time![}:)]
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    the supressors i built have for the ar15 reduce 90 to 95 decibels WITH FULL POWER AMMUNTION from black hills. it actually sounds like an unsupressed 10/22 with subsonic ammo. with the supressor, it only makes 35 decibels!

I have not seen the video yet but I will tonight when I get on a faster connection.

Based on the above statement I call TOTAL BS even the best silencer on the market are rated up to about 40db of reduction. Most of the common ones for centerfire reduce in the 25-30b.

Looking at this chart there is NO way that a supersonic bullet will be that quiet, it is just not possible since the noise of breaking the sound barrier is WAY louder then 35db. Here is a db chart read it and see what it says, http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

Now I do have some suppressed .22's that might be that quiet (35db) but that is using a bolt action (quieter then semi) and using subsonic ammo (no breaking the sound barrier). The sound shooting that combo is very close to dry firing.

My .300 Whisper with subsonic ammo is pretty quiet but sounds something like unhooking a pressurized air hose (well above 35db) and this is a caliber ment to be suppressed.

My .223 AR with suppressor and supersonic ammo sounds like someone shooting a full power .22 about 100 yards away from you, WAY above 35db.

My .308 and .300 Win Mag using supersonic ammo sounds like the .223 but with a deeper tone.

I am 99.99% sure how ever this guy is testing his numbers is not at an industry standard. If it were that easy to make a high quality lightweight silencer for $30 why isnt everyone doing it? What would be the point of testing, baffle shaping, using different materials, ect?

I am not 100% up on the rules for the C2 vs C3 ect but same thing applies to buy and selling NFA stuff as it does to Title 1 (normal) firearms. If you are "engaged in the business" you NEED a license. While true you do not need to have a license to build one you do need to fill out a Form 1 and have it approved. You can sell it as well but more then a few you would be running a big risk with the ATF as a manufacturer.

Here is a link about NFA stuff, http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=365687 The first link is the direct link to the NFA info from the ATF and should be able to answer most questions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, so I just watched the video and the db numbers that are quoted in the first post are 100% total BS if based on standard testing. How do you get a db rating of less then 35 with a supersonic crack? Plus video does not do a good job of what they really sound like.

The .22 can he is shooting is very loud compared to my Outback 2 on either of my P22's. Plus I did not see a weight for that can but I am guessing it is at least 4x the weight. Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of when getting one. My lightest suppressor is listed at 2.5oz (Outback 2), the middle one is 9oz (Trident 9), and 26oz (thundertrap). While non sound real heavy they can make a HUGE difference in the way a gun feels.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what his distance was. Yes I know the shots will be quieter if shot closer, but I dont know the range either. I do know you can EASILY tell the difference when a round that should be subsonic creeps over due to one of the many factors that control bullet speed.

As for what this guy was doing you could hear the sonic crack echo though the valley in the video.