In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

home defense flashlights

cardsfancardsfan Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
Just bought a sure fire flashlight model G2 for 34.00 this little flashlight is awesome nothing I have owned compares to it I am a firefighter and have been using a streamlight this doesnt even compare. Just the shock of being hit in the eyes with this light is painfull. Everyone should own one here is the website you can check em out for yourself
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/16/sesent/00

pujols3.jpg
thumb_priest_holmes.gif
Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.(Homer Simpson)

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yep, I use a 6P on my paratrooper and it'll light up a room big time. I also run an Inova 5-LED light to which is really bright and runs for hours

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cardsfan, you are right their is nothing quite like the brightness of a Surefire. When it breaks though you will be wishing you had a Streamlight. The customer service from Surefire is horrible to say the least. I have had to send back a couple of Streamlights, and they replace the whole light within a few days. My Surefire has been broken since August of '04, and I have yet to get the correct part. I told them I would send it into them, and they said don't bother we will just send you the part. I have contacted them probably 8 times wondering where my part is, and they tell me they will send it right out. I would rather have a lesser light with great customer service than a great light without customer service.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Home defense FLASHLIGHT? That's right next to my home defense electrical tape.
    [}:)]
    Maglight has never let me down.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:That's right next to my home defense electrical tape.
    Shame on you!
    You should replace that with the Tactical Home Defense Duct Tape. [:D] [:D] [8D]

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm To Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Home defense FLASHLIGHT? That's right next to my home defense electrical tape.
    [}:)]
    Maglight has never let me down.

Funny but I agree, maglights are good enough for me although I never thought of it for home defense. i figured on suprising them by using night vision followed by LOTS OF LEAD!!!
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Darn![V]

Here I was thinkin' somebody done come out with a shotgun that looks like a flashlight.[:(]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Try this, A 15 million candle power flashlight. A little bulky but shine it in their face and they will go blind! [:D][:D]

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200309781.htm

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Don't need one - I've got an attack gold fish!

Jeeze!
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When clearing my home of burglars and other night invaders I typically carry a gun in each hand and a mini maglight flashlight in my mouth so that if I stub my toe I won't cry out and give my position away.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cardsfan,

Good buy! Surefires are the best, hands down.

Mooseyard,

Funny how you mentioned that you had to send back a few Stream Lights for whatever reason. IMO equipment bought that does not need repair seems to fair a lot better than stuff that needs to be sent back. I have NEVER sent a SF light back and none of my guys have sent their backs.

As for SF customer service, they are 2nd to none in my opinion. I once had a bulb go out and they sent me a brand new one free of charge next day. He said our bulbs should not blow out unless you seriously abuse the light.

People knock SF lights due to their cost. Eh, if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

And I will leave the Maglite comments alone. Not even in the same league as a SF.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have at least 6 Mag Lights one being recharble in my cruiser and they are the best all around flashlights in my opinion.The Surefire lights make excellant weapons mounted lights.They are also a benefit to carry in the weak hand while your sidearm rest on it and points in the direction of the flashlight.They also give you a bit of an edge on traffic stops at night.By flashing the light in the eyes of the drivers/passengers eyes.It is temporaly blinding,however Iwould not blind a little old lady with one.I wont use the word routine traffic stop because their is no such thing.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good deal man,.. surefire is the way to go,...there all i used while i was in baghdad,..funny how blinding some S.O.B. will take the fight right out of them,..i only had one break and that was because of an IED (roadside bomb)

ive got the same light you picked up,.. you wont be disapointed,..i would recomend upgreading your bulb to the p61 wich is alot brighter than the p60 that came with it,.the batteries wont last as long but if your just using it for home defence/blind the dumb @$$hole that breaks in to your house then the shorter batt. life is not a issue,. for everyday use,.. the p60 is what you wanna use

ive also got the surefire m-900 light for my AR-15 if you can afford it/find a good deal on one i recomend it.

i use to be all about the maglights,. but i think the surefires are a hell of alot better made,..brighter,..and definatly smaller/lighter. although the big maglights can double as a beatin stick in a pinch,..
    i never cared for streamlight because they seem to be cheap rip offs of a surefire (stir,..stir)

th_P1010032.jpg

i forgot to mention about surefires cust.service,..they are the best around,...to say anything else about them is fighting words!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    When clearing my home of burglars and other night invaders I typically carry a gun in each hand and a mini maglight flashlight in my mouth so that if I stub my toe I won't cry out and give my position away.

I prefer a flash light in each hand and a gun in my mouth. This way I am ready for hand to hand well lit combat.
    edited November -1
    Contacfront, maybe you could contact Surefire for me, seeing as how they won't do anything for me. Yes, I have sent back a couple (2 to be exact) of the hundreds of Streamlights that I have sold. I own two Surefires and one of them is broken, and they won't fix it[:(!] I'll take Streamlight over Surefire any day of the week.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a g2 and a e2d executive defender with a strike bezel, I like them because unlike a maglight I can put this in my pocket, I really have no clue as to what part breaks, and why I should be worried about it, it is made up of a case, bezel, light and a switch, I have had a light burn out when my kid turned on my g2 and turned it light down on a table which I would not contribute to a defective flashlight, but I do agree from a friend who has an account with them their customer service leaves a lot to be desired

and those who mock the self defense flashlight have apparently never been blinded by one of these, it actually can hurt your eyes, and for a long enough time to do as you please to a person

card fan you can actually double the output of the g2 with a different lamp {p61}
    edited November -1
    Moose,

Which lights do you have and what is wrong with them? How did they break?

1911Fan,

Oh so true about people mocking defensive lights. Lights are mocked by the same people that probably has never taken a low light battle course nor been properly trained to clear structures in low light or NO light conditions.

I love to hear how people say WHY GIVE YOUR POSITION AWAY. Well the question is how do you properly identify a threat without light? Rather blind a good guy on accident with 120lumens than put 230gn slugs in him or her.
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree: Don't knock the power of a light as a defensive tool. It can do all of the following:

Help Identify your target so you don't kill over a misunderstanding

Temporarily blind an opponent, reducing their combat effectiveness and increasing yours

Disorient your opponent
    It is AMAZING how confusing it can be to face one or more people in a dark area when they are waving around and strobe-flashing an intense bright light in a very dark room. **Blink** It's over their head. **BLINK** it's off low to one side. **BLINK** it's high on the other side. Every flash gives the person with the light a picture of what is in front of them and where their opponent might be while simultaneously blinding their opponent. The person knows where they will be aiming the light, when it will blink on, etc. The person on the recieving end has a really hard time telling how close the person with the light is, especially since the light is blinking on at different heights and from different places. The light is focused enough so that it doesn't light up the person using it unless they stand still, leave it on for a while and shine it away from their opponent.

I know you all are thinking shoot for the light, but it isn't nearly as easy as it sounds when you are being blinded and the person advancing doesn't keep the light on long enough for you to track their position and movement. Keep in mind that while you are shooting at the general vicinity of the light, your muzzle flashes are creating an excellent target for both your opponents flashlight beam and his shots.

Striking tool.
    Not everyone can get away with carying a gun but everyone can carry a small tactical flashlight. Even when returning from a flight to a dark airport parking structure or after leaving a courthouse to find your car parked in a dark alley. If you slam the bezel down on the bridge of a blinded opponent's nose, they won't enjoy the experience much. If you are using the defender bezel, they won't much like being hit with it anywhere. It may not be a gun, but it is much better than harsh language.

http://Blog.LestDarknessFall.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com
    edited November -1
    Contac, the tail cap switch goes to hell on them.

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I'm a gynacologist, Do they come with a headband? [:D][:D]

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Im a proctologist, came this close to becoming a Gynocologist![:D]
    edited November -1
    Hmm...that is strange and what does Sure Fire say when you contact them for service?