In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dear Mom A Sniper's Vietnam

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
New book to me. I was watching something on youtube a while back about Chuck Mawhinney and somewhere he was outed about his 103 confirmed kill in this book. So I ordered the book and it came in today. So far it's kind a boring how Joe is going through basic. Writing short letters home and such.

Comments

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Uhh, "Confirmed Kills," are Confirmed Kills. How do you get outed on that?
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    Uhh, "Confirmed Kills," are Confirmed Kills. How do you get outed on that?

Regretfully, those were different times and confirming was not the same as they are conducted or documented today. I was "shorted" approximately 1/3rd of mine by various circumstances. [;)]

But you were credited with the ones that were confirmed... Right?

This is according to Wikipedia:

Charles Benjamin "Chuck" Mawhinney is a former United States Marine who holds the Corps' record for the most confirmed sniper kills, having recorded 103 confirmed kills and 216 probable kills in 16 months during the Vietnam War.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When the book Dear Mom came out Chuck was living a quiet life in Oregon doing forestry work. From what I saw Chuck didn't talk about his time in Vietnam so no one knew about his sniping. So when the book came out he got "famous" weather he wanted it or not.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bad dreams are preferred over no dreams.
    Author Unknown.

War is hell. Anyone who experiences it especially the horrors of certain war. Vietnam being a example of a challenge for US soldiers facing enemies, many who desquised as civilians were killing them.

For a Vietnam sniper the decisions when the enemy could be a child or women are dificult. The choice of being a life taker in these situations go against natural and learned moral codes. The reality is that like all decisions and choice in life. Mistakes are made. Since we are only human. We move on. Forget the past. Live in the moment.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    When the book Dear Mom came out Chuck was living a quiet life in Oregon doing forestry work. From what I saw Chuck didn't talk about his time in Vietnam so no one knew about his sniping. So when the book came out he got "famous" weather he wanted it or not.

I got to spend a week in a fire camp with Chuck in the early 90's when we both worked for the Forest Circus. Very nice guy and I had no idea who he was or any of his accomplishments until a couple years later when I saw a documentary on snipers.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

I got to spend a week in a fire camp with Chuck in the early 90's when we both worked for the Forest Circus. Very nice guy and I had no idea who he was or any of his accomplishments until a couple years later when I saw a documentary on snipers.

My experience with those that have "been there, done that," is that they do not talk about it much. Nothing to prove to anyone. They have proved it to themselves before. No need to talk themselves up to others.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

My experience with those that have "been there, done that," is that they do not talk about it much. Nothing to prove to anyone. They have proved it to themselves before. No need to talk themselves up to others.

Yep, a lion does not have to tell everyone that he is a lion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's Chuck I guess in the '90s? 24:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bvoucowVkw

16 shots 16 kills dude looking older.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shGmx3QW-w0
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got to page 52 where Chuck is mentioned. It seems by the time Joe met Chuck he was getting to 100 Confirmed and short time. Learned that to get a confirmed kill is a pain in the * process. All the things one has to do, to me it's not worth it. But in the book Chuck is mentioned he wanted to break 100 for his reasons not told. Or I haven't gotten there yet?