In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Talk About Back Pain!......................

Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Man,.....yesterday evening I was coming into the garage from outside after a major downpour.
Had on a pair of darn flip-flops, and almost took a header on the smooth concrete. I stayed upright by "skating" but must have pulled something good![:(!]

Low right back in hip area is killing me to stand, and really hard to bend at the waist at all. Didn't bother me last night, but when I got out of bed this AM I felt 80!

Doesn't take much sometimes it seems.

PS: There was a member here once that had some kind of home traction device you laid on the ground,.....he said he had 2 of them. Anybody remember who that was, or what they were called? Won't help much with this, but I think one would do me good with the compressed disks and nerves I deal with almost constantly.
"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    U ever tried an "inversion table"? I think their about the best thing for decompressing your discs.
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Ouch!My mom years ago did the exact same thing and ended up falling and breaking her back.Smooth concrete,water and flip flops= broken bones. Hope ya feel better.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    U ever tried an "inversion table"? I think their about the best thing for decompressing your discs.

Jeff,....yes I used to have one of the first ones made.
    It became a bit too severe for me, as it hung you totally vertical and not on a slope.

I have also read they are not recommended if you have any BP issues, controlled or not.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    More like stupidity on my part for walking around in the rain with foam soled flip-flops, and then running through the door onto polished smooth concrete.

Don't recall anything I have done anyway to have bad mojo coming my way?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I feel your pain. My back is hammered too. Especially today.

Hope yours gets better.

Heck FCD,......you have a legit reason for yours to be hurting![;)]

Not like it's going to stop me from doing anything, I'm pretty used to back pain.

Glad your ordeal finally got resolved.
    You deserve some rest!
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karma is just some Puerto Rican chicks name. [:D] Dont ask how I rmemeber that. [:D][:D]
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i looked at your profile and you list MALE as gender....... flip flops ??????????????????????????????????[:D]
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big geno
    i looked at your profile and you list MALE as gender....... flip flops ??????????????????????????????????[:D]

I got your back on this one Marc.........

Redwings for Monday thru Friday, O'Niell for the weekends [;)][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big geno

Yuck, yuck, yuck![:D]

I never GO anywhere in them.
    I have real light colored carpet, and when I come into the garage I take my regular shoes off before coming into the house. Also I have some tendon issues in my right foot, and can't stand on tile,.....which I also have a lot of, for long in my bare feet.

I made a run to my truck in the rain to get my XD, and didn't feel like putting my shoes back on.
    Lesson learned![B)]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Also known as Chinese combat boots[:D]quote:Originally posted by big geno
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no disc to speak of left in my back due to a degenerative disease that consumes the cartlidge and tendons in my body. It hurts all the time . Besides the pain pills that I am perscribed the doctor also pescribed a lidocane patch that is 4 x 6 inches to apply on my lower back . It works when the pills don't work. Luckly my wife has a good job with insurance as the patches are expensive . If you have a good doctor maybe he will get you some of them ,they will help till it straightens out. When it gets better try to do some back exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles to help keep the strain off the vertibra.I got a bowflex to help keep my muscles in shape .Good luck with the back.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuwanneePirate
    I have no disc to speak of left in my back due to a degenerative disease that consumes the cartlidge and tendons in my body. It hurts all the time . Besides the pain pills that I am perscribed the doctor also pescribed a lidocane patch that is 4 x 6 inches to apply on my lower back . It works when the pills don't work. Luckly my wife has a good job with insurance as the patches are expensive . If you have a good doctor maybe he will get you some of them ,they will help till it straightens out. When it gets better try to do some back exercises to strengthen the lower back muscles to help keep the strain off the vertibra.I got a bowflex to help keep my muscles in shape .Good luck with the back.

I don't have it as bad as you.
    Don't like to take pain pills or anything like that. Heck I haven't had an Ibuprofen in about a year,....may take one soon though.

I will be over this in a day or so, and return to my "normal" bad back![;)]

I wish you luck with YOURS!

I see you are in Lake City,.....is Texas Roadhouse still in business up there?
    We did all the AC and refrigeration, including that "show" hood where they cooked the steaks in view of the customers.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    what is wrong with flip flops? I wear them all the time
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

Nothing,.....I knew there would be at least one wisacre when I mentioned them though![:D]

Just don't do what I did in them!
    It was raining moderate when I made the run,.....sky opened up, and I took off running. That was the mistake when I hit the nice smooth concrete.[:0] Might have been better off falling, than flailing, and twisting around like a lunatic.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I ran to get away from the rain was 1978. Was on Okinawa Japan. Fell while trying to get to the shop. Lot was made up of Crushed Coral. Right knee was cut up pretty good.

But with it being Coral the infection that happened took Forever to heal. I even went and had it looked at by the Corpsman right away. I had heard a coral cut was not a good one.

Since that day if I see rain coming I keep right on walking. If I get wet I get wet. I can Always get dry.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep..that be me who has two stretchers...but unless you have ongoing problem to maintain no need to purchase ...i would recommend a chiro that does the spinal decomp with a drx 9000 type machine..besides a whole program they will do a visit or two priced individually...his exam can determine if it would be beneficial...inversion or hanging by a door frame didn't help me...i use the comfortrac lumbar unit...
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

Nothing,.....I knew there would be at least one wisacre when I mentioned them though![:D]

sorry i got in late[:)]

if your foot goes numb you may have pinched a sciatic nerve, look it up, i did it once and hurt from my lower back all the way to my right foot, i popped my back just right and all was well
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    yep..that be me who has two stretchers...but unless you have ongoing problem to maintain no need to purchase ...i would recommend a chiro that does the spinal decomp with a drx 9000 type machine..besides a whole program they will do a visit or two priced individually...his exam can determine if it would be beneficial...inversion or hanging by a door frame didn't help me...i use the comfortrac lumbar unit...

That's it!

I have been going to a Chiro on and off for years BTW, and yes, it is an ongoing issue.

Starting to get the sciatica symptoms more frequently as the years go by. I also get meralgia paresthetica at times now on the side of my left leg. It's all on the left side with the nerve issues.

What has this device accomplished for you?
    Do you feel it is worth it,.....any info is appreciated.
  • SuwanneePirateSuwanneePirate Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by SuwanneePirate

I don't have it as bad as you.
    Don't like to take pain pills or anything like that. Heck I haven't had an Ibuprofen in about a year,....may take one soon though.

I will be over this in a day or so, and return to my "normal" bad back![;)]

I wish you luck with YOURS!

I see you are in Lake City,.....is Texas Roadhouse still in business up there?
    We did all the AC and refrigeration, including that "show" hood where they cooked the steaks in view of the customers.

Its still here and its always packed ,slowed down a little with the economy but still the best in town
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep telling myself I'm going to quit wearing those "Crocks" because of the same thing. You can be walking along in a parking lot and step on a painted line and slip..... They are so convenient to slide on though. Have you tried a heating pad? My back used to give me fits because of a nerve and heating pads made me feel soooo much better.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
    edited November -1
    Robert,......good to hear they are still there.
    Sheesh, we did that job back around 1994 or so if I recall correctly.
    Of course the guy wanted all that blacked out spiral pipe in the ceiling for ductwork. 2 of us did that whole place,......no wonder my back is trashed.

Spent about 6 weekends up there in that motel that was right behind it. We would work for about 20 hours, hit the pool and crash for a few hours.

That building was an old closed down Ponderosa I think.
    Guess I hijacked my own thread![:D]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have discs going in lower back & have had one surgery to alleviate pinched nerve...use stretcher in a maintainence program when i hurt...again suggest find chiro that uses this brand machine & have him do exam & see if it is recommended....DO NOT NO NO NO use any stretching gadget if you have had any type of fusion operation...NO NO NO....i had back pain for years..like stabbing with a knife then found out about discs..clean up op helped dull pain but ongoing problem continued so searched using back stretcher & spinal decompression term on fleabay & found what i thought was best unit, best price & no prescrip required...also helps is lose gut & maintain trim shape...worked for me but everyone has to find individual solution
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    have discs going in lower back & have had one surgery to alleviate pinched nerve...use stretcher in a maintainence program when i hurt...again suggest find chiro that uses this brand machine & have him do exam & see if it is recommended....DO NOT NO NO NO use any stretching gadget if you have had any type of fusion operation...NO NO NO....i had back pain for years..like stabbing with a knife then found out about discs..clean up op helped dull pain but ongoing problem continued so searched using back stretcher & spinal decompression term on fleabay & found what i thought was best unit, best price & no prescrip required...also helps is lose gut & maintain trim shape...worked for me but everyone has to find individual solution

I have had NO surgery of any type so far.
    I will avoid it until I can't function after what I have seen happen to some folks. My fiancee's older brother had two of them done, and now he is disabled and addicted to painkillers.

There IS a place here in Tampa that does laser surgery for certain back issues, but I am not there yet.
    http://www.laserspineinstitute.com/

My chiro said that decompression would most likely help me with the nerve issues, and said it sounded like a good idea when I asked him about it.
    He knows that I won't show up there until I am in a world of hurt, so I think that is why he believes that me having one myself is a good idea.

I'm the type that will put in stitches myself if needed to avoid going to a doctor, or hospital,......can you say stubborn?[:D]

I am also in pretty good shape, with less than 10 pounds to ideal weight to lose. Here comes the rain again!
    Thanks!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    My back is also hurting.

WAAAY too much sex yesterday.

Back started to feel better when I turned off the TV.

Hope you get feeling better, soon.

Doug
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got couple of those giant tennis balls which I use. I get on the floor and place the two tennis balls at where you ache and lay there for a while. I'll also put my feet on the wall so I can push myself a bit and make the balls roll.

I also got this "True Back" but I think the Tennis Balls work better. I suppose if you're a big feller you might look in to hard rubber balls from a pet store. I blew out a few regular tennis balls before I found the big ones.