In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EVAP made my ride fail smog but now she passed

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
What the hell? Am I being scammed?

Comments

• Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    They got wind of Your impending move, and are unhappybehind. They are giving a hint that You need to move along!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhhh no emissions tests here!!! [^]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evaporator? Charcoal canister? I worked with the State Emissions program for two years.
    One thing that I constantly see is people pumping gas and squeezing the handle half a dozen times after it kicks off when filling their tank. I use to tell them not to do that. All it does is send raw fuel right into the canister. Once it is saturated, it is likely to never dry out completely. It's there for vapors, not raw gasoline.
    That can certainly cause high readings on emissions tests.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Evaporator? Charcoal canister? I worked with the State Emissions program for two years.
    One thing that I constantly see is people pumping gas and squeezing the handle half a dozen times after it kicks off when filling their tank. I use to tell them not to do that. All it does is send raw fuel right into the canister. Once it is saturated, it is likely to never dry out completely. It's there for vapors, not raw gasoline.
    That can certainly cause high readings on emissions tests.

Ever try replacing one of those? I used to sell the Activated carbon that goes into them. Very Expensive...
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever try replacing one of those? I used to sell the Activated carbon that goes into them. Very Expensive...
    [/quote]

No, but some of them are near impossible to find. [8D]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be the valve that operates that system. One on my truck went out.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,145 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    point to the major forest fire(s) tell them your bike is a grain of sand on the beach compared to what there letting burn [:D]
    that will gain you a few points
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau

No, but some of them are near impossible to find. [8D]
    [/quote]
    The AC that went in them was very specific to the model and some is no longer manufactured at all. It was a very lucrative market for the manufacturers, but very difficult to sell into.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HandLoad - You would think the state would be happy if I left. Then again they lose out on taxes from me.

shilowar - Yeah I know some areas like Lacey don't test but I think Lake Bay area does. That's why my bro uses his parents address for his ride.

fideau - Yeah I'm guilty in doing that. But I had times where I know 15 gallons should've went in but it stopped at 13 gallons. So I take it these cans don't dry out?

CaptFun - I think in my ride it's in the fender behind the battery. And since '02 the dude stated he couldn't reach it so he didn't test it (or something like that). I think his son took over so I guess he's doing things by the book?

grumpygy - Well I'm sure they'll make me replace it even if it's good.

wiplash - I see it's a looped system and I got thatr the can will not dry out.

So any guesses on how much I'll get took?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I went looking for the reason and I started with the easy to spot connectors. The rubber EVAP connector had some surface cracks and the 90? from the throttle body was way worse. I went to the dealer and see if they had them. Nope disco-ed [V].

Since it's two different diameter 90? rubber it might be hard to replace.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    So I went looking for the reason and I started with the easy to spot connectors. The rubber EVAP connector had some surface cracks and the 90? from the throttle body was way worse. I went to the dealer and see if they had them. Nope disco-ed [V].

Since it's two different diameter 90? rubber it might be hard to replace.

Try http://www.rockauto.com/
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you spend mega-bucks, get a new filler cap. More than half the time an "Evap Error" code is just a leaky cap.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CaptFun - Spent a good amount of time on Rock Auto looking for the part. I couldn't find it. Looked on emission and few other areas that might list it but no dice. Looked on ebay under "EVAP LT1 Hose" and one popped up. Not 100% but it's a start. Mean while I picked up a 90? at O'Reiley's and forced it on to see if it'll work just incase the ebay part was wrong.

Rocky Raab - Since I was in the area. I went back to the shop that did the smog test to see if they were okay if I rigged the hose since it's been disco-ed. The tech that worked on the ride wasn't busy so he pointed out what I suspected as the cause.

I swapped out the hoses that I could get at easy and when payday comes I'll grab my ankles (or the best I can [:D]) need to do some yoga stretches first.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay finally passed smog test. Rigged some rubber bits (ebay part was wrong [V]) passed the visual and pressure test? Then she ran at 756 RPM, the HC (PPM) was at 180 from earlier 94 (100 is max) with cracked rubber EVAP hoses [?]. So I gues she runs beter with a leaky EVAP system. Took her to get MotorVac yesterday at the cost of $153.00 and today she passed. 1079 RPM, HC (PPM) 68 [:D].

The tech said he fiddled with the RPM to "help" her pass. I guess going to 1079 instead of 756 made the "difference"? Oh, he did point out my ride has a "miss". I figure even wit a miss shell pass the smog test. Long live the 350 5.7lt LT1. And get a MotorVac before the smog test from now on [:D].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay finally passed smog test. Rigged some rubber bits (ebay part was wrong [V]) passed the visual and pressure test? Then she ran at 756 RPM, the HC (PPM) was at 180 from earlier 94 (100 is max) with cracked rubber EVAP hoses [?]. So I gues she runs beter with a leaky EVAP system. Took her to get MotorVac yesterday at the cost of $153.00 and today she passed. 1079 RPM, HC (PPM) 68 [:D].

The tech said he fiddled with the RPM to "help" her pass. I guess going to 1079 instead of 756 made the "difference"? Oh, he did point out my ride has a "miss". I figure even wit a miss shell pass the smog test. Long live the 350 5.7lt LT1. And get a MotorVac before the smog test from now on [:D].

If you have a cylinder not firing it will be failing especially at low RPM.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regular oil changes, not overfilling the gas, and regular tune ups definitely help. The #1 cause of smog check failure is carbon buildup that can migrate down to the brick of your converters. If it does and the cats are replaced and you don't do a motor vac guess what.. In a few weeks to months you'll get a check engine light back on saying PO420/430 code catalyst below threshold of efficiency. Subaru's are the worst with that problem. If you're ever forced to replace a cat you have to fix what caused the failure. There's no moving parts and just replacing the cat won't fix it. For you guys with GM cars with 3.6 & 3.9 engines beware lots of fueling issues going on now and radiator coolant getting past the cylinders and poisoning the cats.
    At least you didn't have an Audi or BMW. They are plagued by cracked out vacuum lines and can cost upwards of $1500 to fix.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CaptFun - Yeah I got that from the print out. I wonder if I disable one of the injectors she should run cleaner on 7 cylinders, right [:D]?

But seriously I'll have to save up some cash since I got 2 years before I have to smog unless I'm in Washington State by then.

What all yalls think is the cause? There is a "tick". I think it's a rocker but I'm no expert. And there is that miss. Here's the thing back in '02 I bought the car for $2500. And I think a head job's about $1500-$2000? And I think bushing are going too. I just don't see the math adding up. Don't get me wrong I love the car with 275K-ish miles (the original odo died).

ruger41 - I think it's beyond a quick sauce change (and I do them religiously) but have to go in elbow deep.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm SO glad I live in the land of pickups that are LOUD and tractors that smoke.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CaptFun - Yeah I got that from the print out. I wonder if I disable one of the injectors she should run cleaner on 7 cylinders, right [:D]?

But seriously I'll have to save up some cash since I got 2 years before I have to smog unless I'm in Washington State by then.

What all yalls think is the cause? There is a "tick". I think it's a rocker but I'm no expert. And there is that miss. Here's the thing back in '02 I bought the car for $2500. And I think a head job's about $1500-$2000? And I think bushing are going too. I just don't see the math adding up. Don't get me wrong I love the car with 275K-ish miles (the original odo died).

ruger41 - I think it's beyond a quick sauce change (and I do them religiously) but have to go in elbow deep.

Hard to tell with all this distance. Tick could be nothing more than a bad plug wire arcing over.

Miss firing do you have a new car. Put a code reader on it not only will it tell you what cyl is miss firing but what is causing it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man love that Youtube. What did we do before that site? Make friends who knew stuff [:D]? Or actually have to find an "expert". Spent a while looking for the causes of engine noise on Youtube.

My '94 Caprice with LT1 missed the OBD2 by two years so the reader won't tell me much. I'm sure it's the #5 cylinder and maybe #3 is going too. By going I mean the #5 plug is wet. I'm going to put a screw driver to the Fuel Injector to see if I can hear the "ticking". That is if I can hear it over what I think is the rocker tapping. The thing is the car always had that "tap" since I got her way back in '02 with 114K miles. Now the tap might got louder?

At least I know at low RPMs she's throwing out more Hydro Carbons and at higher RPMs she'd good. With 25 MPG highway (what the EPA estimated back in 1994) and by the print out. I figure the fuel injector might be stuck open? Either case I'm going to investigate. Hell I may even crack open the valve covers to see what I don't want to see. And start saving up cash for 2018.