In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Meat and potato

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2018 in General Discussion
That's what's for eats this weekend. Picked up a 10 pound rib roast. Didn't know it was gonna weigh out that much when I asked for dude to cut me a "four rib" portion. She is an impressive hunk of hunk (will be) burning love [:D].

I'll be going with the highest setting of the oven at 5 minuets a pound. That's 50 minuets but I like rare so I think I'll go 40. You can always cook but can't uncook, ya know. This will be the first time I'll be doing a double digit roast. If I bone her out she'll still be heavier than "the Old '96-er" [:D][:D][:D].

Potatoes will be of the garlic mashed variety, with lots of butter and half and half. I did buy asparagus so that'll make meat and the two veg [:D].

I wonder how much I'll be able to put away in a weekend?

Comments

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    The sale prices for rib roasts are about the best they will be for the year. I have been tempted to buy but have never cooked one.

My thoughts are to cut the roast into separate rib steaks![:p]
    Just love a good medium rare rib steak!![:p]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mouth watering....

Enjoy ![:D]
    "What is truth?'
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I failed to apprehend your reference to the ole "96"er there Yosh!

Just make sure you eat ALL of the fat and gristle in order to get your free T shirt!![:D]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fixed one this past weekend, not 10 lbs but it was 7, I think.

Like the folks have written before in other threads, a nearly perfect rare roast can be had by starting your oven at 450 - 500 and putting a ROOM TEMPERATURE roast in for about 30 minutes. Turn down the Temp to about 325 and let it go for about 1-1/2 - 2 hours, probably more for your 10 lbs.

Remove it from the oven and LET IT REST for about 15 minutes so you don't loose all the juices when you slice it. It should be fairly rare with just the very outside about medium.

I used a coating of Course Kosher salt, black pepper and crushed garlic on the entire outside of the roast. It leaves a crispy layer outside and the roast is flavored nicely.

Oven roasted potato wedges with carrots then lightly steamed asparagus with butter and lemon.

Best.
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off to Shop for some shortly. On Sale[:D] at SR

Oh and the free turkey[:)]
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Slow thawing two large Top Sirloins just now. Will be grilling them up later.

Meat and Taters, side veggie. Does not get better than that. [:D]

Enjoy Yosh.

I think you should try and consume all 10# in some sort of record breaking gorge fest. [:0][B)][:p] What is that Japanese Hot dog eating champions name?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, if ya got potatoes ya got a meal!!!!!!! All else is trimmin's!!!! Enjoy!!!![:D]
    What's next?
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woke up like at midnight to pull her out of the fridge to get room temp. Had a cocktail since I was going back to sleep anyway. Greyhound since I had grapefruit juice. The supermarket I was at only had two brands of grapefruit juice. But they got a whole wall of orange juice.

Woke up at 09:00 A.M. Yup butt crack of dawn. I was expecting a huge puddle of blood but she barely made a spot. Turned on the oven to 11 (in my case BROIL). While waiting for the oven to get to temp I rubber her with salt and spices like I loved her.

Now I'm finishing up on the two hour no peeky waiting. Got another 30 min. I'll get on the mashed 'tater's in a bit.

I reckon it'll take me a good 3 days to make the half way point in the 10 pounder. That's twice a day and nibbling when ever the refer gets opened.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Woke up like at midnight to pull her out of the fridge to get room temp. Had a cocktail since I was going back to sleep anyway. Greyhound since I had grapefruit juice. The supermarket I was at only had two brands of grapefruit juice. But they got a whole wall of orange juice.

Woke up at 09:00 A.M. Yup butt crack of dawn. I was expecting a huge puddle of blood but she barely made a spot. Turned on the oven to 11 (in my case BROIL). While waiting for the oven to get to temp I rubber her with salt and spices like I loved her.

Now I'm finishing up on the two hour no peeky waiting. Got another 30 min. I'll get on the mashed 'tater's in a bit.

I reckon it'll take me a good 3 days to make the half way point in the 10 pounder. That's twice a day and nibbling when ever the refer gets opened.

Funniest post I've read in days. LMFAO. Thanks for the laugh.

"I rubber like I love her." Too freakin' funny.

Enjoy Yosh.

-Ken-
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bone in Ribeye 22-28oz

Large Russet Potato(Butter, sour cream S&P) or even a big Sweet tater with Butter and cinnamon

Large salad, Ice burg lettuce, some spinach, black olives, cherry maters, pickled red onions, Green olives, peppers, HB Egg and feta cheese with some good dressing or just oil and vinegar...

That is a meal I could eat every day.
    RLTW

edited November -1
    Making my mouth water Sam.

Sounds great.

Got back from the grocery store. It's been at least a month and a half since I've been there. (Long time.) Been clearing out the fridge and freezer.

Came home with Chicken breasts, ribs, pork chops, minute steak, rib eyes, hamburger, natural casing Kielbasa (family pack.) Lots of fresh sliced deli sandwich meat, Ham, roast beef, salami, swiss cheese, Tons of fresh veggies (.99/lb asparagus!) Grabbed about 3 pounds worth. Fried chicken, breakfast burritos, breakfast bowls, Etc. etc.

Fully stocked now. Freezer crammed full, same with fridge. [:D]

This is a Great Country! Where else on Earth, can you do this, or afford to do this? Not many places I'd venture. No where else on Earth, I'd rather live.
    edited November -1
    Have a 7# smoked spiral sliced ham, I need to make ham jerky out of. Need to put it on the dehydrator tomorrow.

Bacon crack.
    edited November -1
    She came out pretty. The fat cap got a bit charred and rendered out like a cup and a half of fat. Came out rare near the end. I'm hoping "blue" in the middle but maybe not?

Didn't use enough seasoning. I had about a 3/4 of a cup of salt and spices. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered dusting the top (fat cap) or maybe I should've packed it on like a salt bake. I suppose it's better than too much.

Say anyone here know what that triangular bit of meat is called? It runs along the rib bones and in front of the eye? My favorite bite.

'Taters came out little water logged and started to fall apart in the boing water. If I didn't peel it before boiling I think this wouldn't have happened. I used a fine mesh strainer and I saved the 'taters. A stick of butter and two cups of half and half made it nice and smooth. The ricer done did the job (the large hand held garlic press looking thing and I suppose me, too [:D]).

The garlic was kind a over extended. Couple of weeks back they were sprouting and I had to rush to use them and the remainder started to dry out. But I salvaged enough for the mashed 'taters.

I barely made a dent in the "meast" (new word combining meat and feast). Right now I'm John Candy where Dan Acaroid is assuring me it's processing nicely [:D][:D][:D].
    edited November -1
    Day two. Woke up around 11:00 A.M. from "meast" coma. Could've slept more but I had to wake myself up. Didn't feel like eating. Didn't feel bad or full just not hungry. 15:00 P.M. rolled around wasn't really hungry but I could eat [:D].

Got to midway on the meat. I found out the mash does not like to get warmed in the microwave. Too much butter or half and half screwing up the microwave radiation? Good thing I really don't care about eats being warm. I think I'll make a mashed potato patty and pan fry it or just pop the patty in the toaster oven tomorrow. Being that it's nearly 20:00 P.M. I doubt I'll be eating another slab [:D]. Well maybe a skinny slab [:D]?

I think I'll pick up a fresh French bread tomorrow and make a Dagwood. Mustard, Japo mayo, sliced onions, meat and a half a wheel of brea I got lying around on a French bread. Oh and a pickle on the side. You ask why no lettuce or sliced tomatoes? They just get in the way [:D]. Now if my local supermarket carried water cress I'd put that on.