In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Starbucks must add cancer warning!

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
More California craziness!

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A Los Angeles judge has ruled that California law requires coffee companies to carry an ominous cancer warning label because of a chemical produced in the roasting process.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle wrote in a proposed ruling Wednesday that Starbucks and other coffee companies failed to show that the threat from a chemical compound produced in the roasting process was insignificant.

A nonprofit group had sued coffee roasters, distributors and retailers under a state law that requires warnings on a wide range of chemicals that can cause cancer. One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a carcinogen present in coffee.

Full article: https://www.kiro7.com/news/california-judge-coffee-needs-cancer-warnings/723863461

Comments

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Life causes cancer... exercise caution.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited November -1
    The state of California IS THE BIG "C" in our union!
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    If I were wealthy I would purchase advertising all along the CA border and have this posted... Warning entering into the state of CALIFORNIA is known to cause both physical and political cancer. Enter at your own risk.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This will have a negligible impact upon Starbucks and other large distributors.

It will hit the local topless coffee shack much harder.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait, we have been drinking coffee how long now?

Latte, Grande, end of discussion.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, He Dog. WE have been drinking coffee. You have apparently been drinking warm milk.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    Same as us55840 said about Starbucks only I stopped for a coffee at another vendor of special Yuppie type coffee

When I asked for a normal everyday coffee the clerk looked at me as if I had just come from another planet, walked out empty handed. Did come across a dunking Donut couple miles down the road happily bought the good old working man special coffee
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Sorry, He Dog. WE have been drinking coffee. You have apparently been drinking warm milk.

Don't overlook the espresso in there.[:p]

Sorry, don't enjoy bitter flavors.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Starbucks can afford it as from what I heard, their junk is expensive. No idea why anyone would pay $5 for what they call 'coffee' or any of those other so-called coffee shops.

Tried to get a cup of plain black coffee in a place like that once in the Mall of America and they didn't have any ... just junked up crap called coffee.

No interest.

[}:)]

I have bought regular coffee at a Starbucks at least 2 or 3 times, but then I have only been in a Starbucks 2 or 3 times.

Not sure how you asked for it, but if you try 'black coffee' you will get black coffee.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Apparently, then, coffee in the other 49 states is just fine. It's just California coffee that causes cancer.

As an aside, I wonder how California is going to get cancer warning labels to stick to sunlight?
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Starbucks can afford it as from what I heard, their junk is expensive. No idea why anyone would pay $5 for what they call 'coffee' or any of those other so-called coffee shops.

Tried to get a cup of plain black coffee in a place like that once in the Mall of America and they didn't have any ... just junked up crap called coffee.

No interest.

[}:)]

Not sure what Starbucks you went to but I buy a Large medium roast at Starbucks all the time for $2.50. Same with all the other gourmet coffee shops, $2-3.00 for a regular cup of coffee. No different than many of the gas station/truckstop coffees anymore.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,375 ******
    edited November -1
    Starbuck was a character from that old TV show Battle Star Galactica.[:)]

I have and use my old Stanley vacuum bottle thermos for my perfectly brewed Maxwell House original roast coffee. Stays hot all day long.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ah, the uneducated generation strikes again.

Starbuck was a creation not of some lame TV show, but of a literature classic. Herman Melville created him as the first mate to Captain Ahab in the novel "Moby Dick".
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    The state of California IS THE BIG "C" in our union!

Well played.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything in moderation.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope they have to put those graphic images of cancer on their cups like the cigarette folks. Fair is fair.

And yes I know this is just a beginning since BBQ/Smoked meats causes cancer. So it's just a matter of time before they get hit, too.