In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wild boar hit near my house...

hissinggoosehissinggoose Member Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in General Discussion
Got a call from Jr. Goose last evening that some guy hit a wild boar about a half mile from my house. Tore the crap outta the guy's truck, but nobody hurt. He was in the highway right in front of a horse pasture, and the guy that owns the horses said he thought one of his mares had gotten out and been hit, this thing was so big! I got there just as they were using a roll-back wrecker to get him up out of the ditch....old tusker musta weighed 400+.
The wild piggies we have around here are kinda unique....we are surrounded by swampland, and there have been generations of wandered off farm pigs breeding wild in the swamps. About 12 years ago, some wild Russian boars were brought in to breed with the natives. Well, now we have these funny looking pink, black and white mottled, bristly critters with tusks running around!!! I've seen a few smaller ones while out in the woods, but never one THIS big! Wish I had my camera on me, but game warden was already off with him before I could get back up the road. Ya'll would get tickled at how these things look.

Comments

• Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    Not really all that surprising at all. They get hit within 1 mile of my house at least 3 nights a week. 400 lbs is a good one but not very unusual... even for your neck of the woods.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    saves chashing the monsters , up the hills....pick up & chop,roadside treat.....niiiiiice..

[;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gagirl....WOW! I need to go pig hunt in Georgia!! We do have a few here and there up here, but it's real unusual to see one this far out of the woods/swamps. I've only seen one other dead one on the road in 6 years of commuting thru the Great Dismal. I might need to brush up on my tree-climbing skills...
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Havent had any luck, mostly due to no time, this year with hogs. But if you are interested in hogs come on down. I have an outfitter close by who is pretty good. You have one fairly close too where 400lb+ hogs have been killed. http://hometown.aol.com/hawgwildhunting/PhotoAlbum/index.htm

the one close to me is really new

http://www.southgeorgiabadboars.com/

I just got the ok to do some hunting on private land where 2 groups of 10+ hogs are. The WMA I normally hunt for hogs has been full of idiots since deer season started. (yes, idiots 2 not wearing orange yesterday) They are pushing everythign to the back and we have not had time to go all the way around by boat. Just made arrangements for kiddo for a weekend at Oma's so hopefully this weekend...

Long and short... anytime you like... let me know.

PS... Mrs goose may like it if you go for spring early summer. I live between Savannah Ga and St. Simons Island.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a lotta sausage!
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:0] HOLY MOLEY!! That's a LOT of sausage!! Checked out the "hawgwildhunting" site....thanks for the link...and appreciate your generous offer! My wife loves the Savanna area. Big Paula Deen fan! [:p] (me too!)
    Do you know the spring pig hunting dates?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is not a hog hunting season in Georgia. Ga. DNR want them shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    There is not a hog hunting season in Georgia. Ga. DNR want them shot.

mostly true... Hog hunting is year around on private land here in Ga. You can NOT hunt them outside of deer season on any of the public WMAS or such.

If you guys come down I have 2300 acres I hunt in Long county. We have some decent hogs. The one site of the GA outfitter is a year round thing. Just dont pay the full fees... get your own motel and food.

Do you like her restaurant in Savannah? I like her show but not her restaurant.
  • Options
    phideaux4886phideaux4886 Member Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Just made arrangements for kiddo for a weekend at Oma's so hopefully this weekend...

You got some German in your family?
    My wife is from Germany and her parents are Oma and Opa to my children.
    DSM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by phideaux4886
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    Just made arrangements for kiddo for a weekend at Oma's so hopefully this weekend...

You got some German in your family?
    My wife is from Germany and her parents are Oma and Opa to my children.
    DSM

I am 1/2 german