In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Parents fined if kids arrive to school late.

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
http://www.local10.com/education/4548876/detail.html

Parents Fined If Kids Skip School Or Arrive Late
Fines Start At $100 A Day

PHOENIX -- It's a classic problem. How do you make sure kids get to school on time?

One Arizona community says the answer is simple: you charge parents each time a student is late or skips school.

Weary of poor grades and low graduation rates, Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation families are being fined if their kids skip school or arrive long after the bell rings.

The tribal council is fining parents $100 a day the first time a child is significantly late or absent. That fine goes up to a maximum of $300 a day for repeat offenders.

That means parents of chronically late or absent students could be charged thousands of dollars.

Officials from the tribe said the idea is part of a larger education initiative which includes homework help and other support.

And they added, the money goes to the tribe's general fund.

NewRuger.jpg

Comments

• shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,312 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well worth a try.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aren't the parents already paying for their children to go to school? If I wanted my kid to stay home because he was sick, would I have to pay $100 for that?! I can see lots of problems in the future with this "initiative".

dsarms_e0.gif
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    I think thats BS, i never cut class, but thats just bs.
    What right do they have to take money from the parents.
    Compulsory school attendance laws were bad enough, ceratin kids just shouldnt go to school, they degrade the experience for everyone else.
    They accumulate and the school is forced to offer special classes for them, i think its a step in the wrong direction, the right one being repealing compulsory attendance and spending more per capita on the students who go by choice
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    As parents we are legally responsible for them until they turn 18. That includes making them go to school. If the parents aren't doing their part, there should be some legal recourse. There are some parents out there that by simply being poor parents, are raising future society leaches. Nip the problem in the butt early and "force" the bad ones to be a little better. See no problem.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    if that was in effect on myself in school, I could have funded a new library.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, the indians can do what they want on their land. It doesn't affect the rest of us regular citizens. That's why the don't have to pay taxes. Ain't it great![xx(]
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    if that was in effect on myself in school, I could have funded a new library.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

I remember being late every once in a while myself. I can promise you that it was never my parents fault that I ended up late when I did. This is pretty silly though, we had go to detention after a certain a few times of being late.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    "Can't squeeze blood from a turip"
  • Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Hey, Hey,
    Before you all get your panties in a bunch. What part of "Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation" didn't you understand? I'd say the problem was obvious! Butch HC

Why me Lord,
    What did I ever do,
    To deserve even one,
    Of the heartaches I've known.
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    That would've bankrupted my family in about three weeks if they did it at my school, and it was never my parents' fault I was late. It was usually the Highway Patrol's fault. [:D]
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    As school is paid for by the parents - the school should pay the parents if the kids weren't there.
    I don't see how a fine like that would or could be justified. The parents buy that seat for the kid.

Here the school and every education is paid for by the government via taxes.
    I could see it would be justified here, as the school probably could use the seatspace for another pupil who doesn't skip classes as much.

1.gif
    Polarbears walk a lonely path

Got a surprise for ya' -> Raid1 and Raid2

Wanna see somethin' scary.? -> Click here
  • Texas_ShooterTexas_Shooter Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A better solution would be for the community to stop having "free" school and relieve the tax payers of the burden. Then whether it is public, private, or religious schools, the parents would have to pony up the money for each kid to attend school.

Maybe then ALL parents would be concerned if their children are getting the education they're paying for.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    I see no difference in this proposal and curfew ordinances, which a few municipalities have in my area. If a child under the age of 17 is found out on the streets after a given hour of the nighttime, the police take them to a parent/guardian and stroke the parent a ticket. I see no problem with it.

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds stupid to me. But, I don't have that problem with my kids.

Again. It' sounds like government (of any type) trying to tell people how, what and when to do things!

Gee, who does that sound like....?

Phil

Good luck and good hunting