In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wanna talk rifle bullets???

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
How many different types are there. You know like the boat tail,A frame,ect.?? What different does it make??

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your making, marketing and beating your drum about how great yours are to gain more sales a lot [:D]

if your hit with one not much [xx(]
    real world maybe a little better accuracy for the long range shooters [^]
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I let you know tomorrow, I need to sleep on it!!
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the majority of my hunting with non Magnum round I use Remington corelocts for the Magnum rifle I've had good luck with the Barnes TSX
  • woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded a lot of different brands of bullets for rifle and handgun and have noticed that boat tail rifle bullets are more accurate than flat based bullets.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I agree. Biggest difference is if you're buying or selling.

But, the boat-tails are supposed to be more accurate due to having less arodynamic drag on the base. I would also assume that if the flat base and boat-tail left the barrel at the same speed you'd have more retained energy at longer distances on the boat-tail do to less drag though not sure the distance where it would come into play. Caution - I'm out of town and don't have access to a reloading manual to check that!

On the core-lock vs. A frame vs. partition, I thought it had more to due with expansion rate or how fast it mushrooms. Softer, faster expansion for thin bodied and thin skinned game like deer; harder tipped slower expanding for more penetration on thicker bodied and thicker skinned critters like elk, moose, bear, and larger African game like Kudu, Eland etc.

The theory is to leave all the energy in the animal for max damage and more likely DRT, but I like the through and through to help track it.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only 3-4 basic designs--the rest are variations of the basics
    every bullet maker will have proof that their version is better, more accurate, harder hitting, etc---just check their websites
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend that is a retired prof. of veterinary medicine (and an avid hunter) said for hunting, he wanted 2 holes in the critter- one to let air in, one to let blood out.

Me, I sorta get confused when you get beyond patched ball or Minie ball.....

[:p]
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Sierra Match King![:)]
  • sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While my experience is limited compared to many, I've had only one bullet "failure" on game.
    1960s vintage Remington/Peters 175gr. Corlokt RN, loaded (at that time) to a claimed 3000fps in 7mm Rem mag.
    Blew up on the front shoulder of a mulie buck at about 100 yds. He expired after running 75 yds or so but that wasn't the performance I'd expected. Never used that ammo on game again and still have 1 1/2 boxes of it in the ammo cabinet.
    While that may have been a fluke, John Nosler thought otherwise.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boat tail more stability. less affected by wind and temp. Greater accuracy and down range velocity. yum yum
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hornady SST (Super Shock Tip) 139 grainers in .280 Remington for whitetail. I also use Hornady SST 180 grainers in .30-06 when I want extra punch or distance.

For larger game, I use 220 grain Nosler Partitions in .30-06.

For target .223, I use Hornady 55 grain SP, or Military 62 grain SS109 steel core.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    How many different types are there. You know like the boat tail,A frame,ect.?? What different does it make??
    Rhetorical questions...
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sierra GameKings or ProHunter
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Nosler Accubonds, partition, and ballistic tips before switching to Berger VLDs/Hybrids mostly in .308 cals and 165/175 Matrix VLDs on my .270 AI with very good success esp. at long ranges. I have some 150 LR Accubonds in .277 and the new 220 Hornady ELD-X in .308 to try this year and see how it goes.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    Nosler, Barnes, SMKs for everything besides the 30-378 which requires the Berger double struck for the extra speed* or it will foul the bore & spit fliers.

* over 3000 fps

I had the opportunity to purchase a very nicely priced SAKO M995 in .30-.378 last year but talked myself out of it ... funds going towards a full custom instead. [:p]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob

But, the boat-tails are supposed to be more accurate due to having less arodynamic drag on the base. I would also assume that if the flat base and boat-tail left the barrel at the same speed you'd have more retained energy at longer distances on the boat-tail do to less drag though not sure the distance where it would come into play. Caution - I'm out of town and don't have access to a reloading manual to check that!

On the core-lock vs. A frame vs. partition, I thought it had more to due with expansion rate or how fast it mushrooms. Softer, faster expansion for thin bodied and thin skinned game like deer; harder tipped slower expanding for more penetration on thicker bodied and thicker skinned critters like elk, moose, bear, and larger African game like Kudu, Eland etc.

The theory is to leave all the energy in the animal for max damage and more likely DRT, but I like the through and through to help track it.

Actually out to about 300 yards the flat based bullets perform better and are more accurate. The boat tail comes in as the bullet goes through the transonic phase of flight. At the speed bullets fly the nose drag has the most influence on flight for the first several hundred yards. A flat based bullet reduces flame blow by during powder burn. It leaves the barrel more consistently than boat tails too.

I have never found a bullet no matter its make or design that did not kill very effectively if placed into an area of vitals. Conversely I have seen super premium bullets not do the job when shot placement was poor.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob

Actually out to about 300 yards the flat based bullets perform better and are more accurate. The boat tail comes in as the bullet goes through the transonic phase of flight. At the speed bullets fly the nose drag has the most influence on flight for the first several hundred yards. A flat based bullet reduces flame blow by during powder burn. It leaves the barrel more consistently than boat tails too.

I have never found a bullet no matter its make or design that did not kill very effectively if placed into an area of vitals. Conversely I have seen super premium bullets not do the job when shot placement was poor.

I limit myself to 300 yards when practicing, and like you said, I have no need for boat tail bullets. I'll probably never get a shot at game over 150 yards.

For me, spending the money for "premium" bullets would be a complete waste. I prefer Sierra PH or Nosler Partitions. Some would argue the Partitions are "premium" bullets, but I get blems from Nosler at half the normal cost. They work just fine.